“Unpleasant Staycation”

Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Unpleasant Staycation”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked the Love at Loews package for a special weekend as newlyweds. This should include flowers upon arrival, a room upgrade, and a dining credit. When we arrived, I reminded the front desk staff of our package, and she confirmed the dining credit. When we got to our room, it was tiny and there were no flowers in sight. When I called to confirm we were in the right room, I was told we were in the right place, and I felt very unwelcome with the tone of the staff. I had already brought up the issue twice, so we proceeded to make the best of it and go to our dinner reservation.

The next day, when I brought up the issue again when preparing to check out (when they asked me how my stay was), they confirmed in the system that we were put in the wrong room, and shared that someone else had even called down about receiving our flowers! We did receive an additional dining credit for this hassle, but arriving in a disappointing room and with a staff person twice being dismissive to me, it really ruined the romantic vibe. Add to that the unclean toilet and previous guests dirty socks and other garment (underwear, undershirt...I didn't touch it!) left in the dresser, and you could say we would've been better off staying home or at an even higher rated luxury hotel that might have provided better service the first time we asked (or at least the second time).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Ali F,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, and please know we highly value all of our guests’ input. I am extremely disappointed in reading about your visit. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the frustrating experiences during your stay. I can certainly understand your excitement in booking this package, and you are absolutely right to have expected more from us. We take great pride in providing memorable experiences for our guests, down to the smallest details, and I am sorry we did come through for your visit. In addition to our mistake with your flowers, the fact that you did not receive accommodating, friendly service from our staff, I am beyond dismayed. I have discussed this with our Director of Rooms, and we will be taking retraining opportunities with team members to ensure our standard of excellent service and attention to detail is experienced by all guests.

Regarding the room issues you mention, these are clearly unacceptable, and I personally addressed your concerns with our Director of Housekeeping. As a result we will increase our room inspections to prevent any re-occurrence of this situation. I can assure you comfort and cleanliness are top priorities. I would welcome a call from you to discuss your stay further. We would like to make amends with you and hope you would give us an opportunity in the future to host you, and to regain your confidence in Loews.

202-862-1600

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful. The hotel is nice also, but to pay 50.00 to park at hotel where you have already paid to stay is ridiculous. They may need to rethink the parking. The hotel staff was ok, the tried to charge me twice for a room, but that was a simple mistake that was corrected right away!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you are aware of the parking
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Trina C,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay. We understand our overnight parking rate can seem high to some not used to city parking, but please know that we conduct regular rate checks with local hotels and are confident our rates are in line with other hotels in the city. I apologize you felt surprised by this. Although our overnight parking rate is listed on the hotel’s website, we are currently looking into ways we can make the information even more visible. Regarding the charge you mention, I am sorry for the inconvenience but am very glad it was corrected right away!

I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Madison if your travels bring you to DC. I thank you again for the feedback as guests’ input is critical to our success and continually improving our property.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Front desk was down to one working computer and person who was actually checking people in. Our room had to be switched 3 times. The 2nd room smelled like someone had cooked garlic in a wok. They couldn't get the smell out of the room! The rooms were very dark and furniture needed repair. The tv controls need to be fixed. We arrive at abt 5 pm and didn't actually get settled in the 3rd room until abt 10 pm.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Momoknibbs,
Thank you for providing this feedback about your Loews Madison stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and frustration you endured with getting settled in to the hotel. I am so sorry that a technology issue caused you a wait at the front desk. Regarding the cooking smell, while our new restaurant was being opened, we experienced some challenges with the ventilation system and restaurant odors, which I can assure you we are addressing and monitoring closely to prevent discomfort for our guests. I’m disappointed our rooms were not up to your satisfaction, and please know we will certainly take your feedback into account- Loews is continuously looking to improve and update our properties, and guest input is very important to planning how we will invest in Loews Madison. Thank you again for sharing with us. I sincerely hope you will consider giving Loews Madison another opportunity to host you at a future date.

202-862-1600
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Centrally located - spotless - staff was exceptionally professional and friendly, and, took the time to learn my name - room service very good - concierge most helpful in suggesting sightseeing options

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Andrew E
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Andrew E,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. I’m thrilled you found our staff exceptionally professional and polite, helpful and knowledgeable about the city. We do enjoy being in such a central location, and I’m excited this was a great feature for you. Thank you for highlighting our room service too!

We appreciate you choosing to stay with Loews Madison and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My home away from home. Great staff. Rural Society restaurant is excellent. Comfortable rooms and always quiet. I highly recommend this as the place to stay in DC. Romeo the bellman is the best. In town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Dean E
Dear Dean E,
We very much appreciate your loyalty to Loews Madison , and your time to review our property. It’s exciting to hear such wonderful feedback. I am delighted we could be your home away from home, and that our comfortable, quiet rooms and top notch staff keep you coming back!

Thnnk you for highlighting Rural Society! It’s been a lot of fun hearing from guests since we opened the restaurant in July 2014, with Iron Chef Jose Garces. For others considering trying it, it is an Argentine steakhouse concept with wood-fired meats, fish and vegetables, as well as pastas and pizzas. We also have a fantastic lunch menus which includes sandwiches and salads, and breakfast too. The wine list and whiskey selection should not be missed.

Thank you again for your loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Tashna Seaton checked me into my room. I had the pleasure of having her check me in while I visited the Loews in Philly as well. The entire staff at the Loews Madison is very helpful an dkind. The rooms are a little dated- they still need to do a reno in my opinion as the room interiors have not changed since this hotel becamse a Loews. The restaurant downstairs is casual romantic with some of the best locally sourced food I've ever tasted.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank minnesnowtachris
Dear minnesnowtachris,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. It’s an absolute pleasure to hear your great feedback about one of our team members. Tashna, our Front Office Manager, is a gem, and we are fortunate to have her at Loews Madison. I’m glad you experienced friendly, polite service from all of our team members.

Our guest rooms were renovated in the past couple of years. We very much value and appreciate your feedback, as we do look for ways to continually improve the property. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy our new restaurant – Rural Society by renowned Iron Chef Jose Garces, a master of Latin cuisine. Our menus have great dishes for meat, veggie, pasta lovers and more- not to mention our selection of wines, hand-crafted cocktails, whiskeys and beer.

Thank you so much for your comments, and for staying with Loews Madison. We look forward to welcoming you back whenever you travel to DC.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned from a great 4-night stay. Room was clean; bathroom was spacious and modern. Great location for getting around DC! Service at front desk was excellent at check-in and check-out - employee went out of his way to accommodate the length of time it took to get me checked in.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear DcF,
We appreciate your time to review Loews Madison and comment on some of the reasons you had a great visit. I’m glad you enjoyed our spacious and updated rooms and bathrooms, as well as our central location for exploring DC. We are just a few blocks from the White House and convenient to other sites, as well as being quite accessible to popular areas like Dupont Circle and the restaurants on 14th Street.

Thank you for recognizing excellent service from our team members! I’m delighted they went above and beyond, as this kind of service is our goal! Thank you for choosing to stay with Loews Madison! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.