“Not for business travelers”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #81 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed for 3 nights this past week. Overall I thought the hotel was beautiful, clean, and a great place to stay. HOWEVER, if you are business traveler, and need to do work from your hotel room, this hotel is not a viable option. The internet connection was atrocious, even after upgrading to "premium" I could barely do anything useful, and eventually grew so frustrated that I quit trying to work. To their credit, I asked for, and received a refund for the premium internet charge. Another issue is that they don't have a restaurant for breakfast, just a stripped down Starbucks. So in order to get a real breakfast I had to wander around until I found a place close by. Seems to me that a hotel this expensive/nice should have better options for eating. It was basically Starbucks on in-room service.

If you are looking for a hotel, but the internet connection is not an issue, then this is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Jason P,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, and please know we highly value all of our guests’ input. While I am glad you found the property to be a great place to stay overall, I am disappointed in reading about your experience as a business traveler. We are frequently host to business professionals and understand the importance of being able to get your work done. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the challenge with our premium WiFi offering, and frustration this caused you. This level of WiFi should be suitable for guests who require more bandwidth, and I’m sorry this was not the case for you. I have sent you a message to get your exact stay dates so we can actively look into and address any errors that could have occurred with our technology. I am glad the refund was readily offered to you.

Regarding breakfast, our onsite restaurant Rural Society does currently offer a full breakfast menu, which is in addition to in-room dining and the Starbucks barista bar with pastries, muffins, fruit and yogurt. I am very sorry for any lack of communication from our staff regarding our onsite breakfast offering, and as a result, I will ensure we are proactively making our guests aware of our restaurant breakfast option.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to host you at Loews Madison when you travel to DC.

Justin Adam, Director of Rooms

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Overall, this is a very nice hotel in a very nice location for exploring the tourist spots in Washington DC. Upon arrival, after an evening of delayed flights, we were treated well by Katherine at the front desk. She gave us upgraded rooms, which was appreciated, and directed us to a fun pub for a late night dinner and drinks.

Lots of stuff to do nearby. A reasonably short walk takes you to the National Mall and nearby restaurants. My only complaint was a couple of service breakdowns - called for ice, but didn't receive it after 30 minutes and had to call back / room wasn't serviced one of the days of our stay.

All in all, a good place to stay in DC.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim K
GMLoews, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Tim K,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. I am pleased to hear you found our hotel to be very nice and enjoyed our central location for exploring popular tourist attractions such as the White House and National Mall. I’m also happy that you received a welcoming check-in with our front desk team member, however I’m certainly disappointed you experienced a couple of lapses in service. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the wait time for your ice, as well as the inconvenience with your room not being serviced. Your comments have been addressed with my managers in these areas so we can take corrective action. I can assure you service is our top priority. We very much value all of our guests’ input, so thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.

We appreciate you choosing Loews Madison and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back anytime you visit DC!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for an over night stay! We checked in a earlier that their check -in time and it was no problem. A lot of people have a problem with paying 50$ for overnight parking. I parked the car outside and left it over night. From saturday into sunday, there's no requirement to feed the meter. Or you can go a block down and pay 15 for over night parking.

Room was amazingly clean. Everything was just as the picture on the website showed! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GMLoews, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear SpankingGT,
Thank you so much for your review and positive feedback. I’m glad everything was smooth from the time of check in, and you found the room to be exceptionally clean! We will always work to accommodate our guests who need an earlier check in, whenever it is possible. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel anytime you visit DC!

All the best,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Loew's Madison Hotel is perfectly situated for visitors to Washington, DC. It's close to the White House, National Geographic, a plethora of restaurants on P and 14th Streets, and the Circulator bus that makes getting around DC so easy. There's a Starbucks inside the hotel, and, even better from this visitor's perspective, a Peets Coffee right across the street. Throughout my four-night stay I found the hotel staff to be really focused on making me feel welcome and comfortable. I'm a sucker for little luxurious touches, and the Madison has that sort of feel throughout. I particularly appreciated the snowy white terry cloth individual hand towels in the public bathrooms. The new Rural Society restaurant, located on the first floor, is not only convenient but a terrific place for delicious Argentinian-influenced meals

Room Tip: Next time I'll be sure to ask for a room that faces the street, rather than looking over the roo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear GivePeaceAChance,
Thank you very much for your time to review your visit and provide some wonderful details about what made this a great stay. I’m always glad when our guests enjoy our convenient location, which is just a few blocks to the White House. The National Geographic Museum is a great spot and only a couple of blocks away!

I’m particularly pleased to read your subject line and to know our team members’ dedication to the details and to friendly, highly personalized service was a stand-out for you. We make service our top priority, and I will share your positive feedback with the team. I’m also excited you enjoyed other details around the hotel and our brand new restaurant by Iron Chef Jose Garces, Rural Society.

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope you will return anytime your travels bring you to DC!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great for folks coming into town for business who want a little luxury and can afford it. Location is really good for meetings and not far from fun, touristy areas like White House, Chinatown/Verizon Center etc. Nice restaurant, live music a plus. Rooms clean and nicely done, service excellent.

Dear Catherine P,
We appreciate you taking the time to review Loews Madison. Thank you for highlighting our ideal location for business- as you mention, we are also convenient to tourist attractions including being only a few blocks from the White House. I’m glad you enjoy our rooms and find the service to be excellent! Rural Society, our new restaurant, has been a wonderful addition to our property – good to know the live music on the patio is a plus for you.

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope you will return anytime your travels bring you to DC, for business or pleasure!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Lovely hotel and staff. The room was luxurious and clean. Everything worked fine, including the air conditioner! Comfortable beds and good shower. Front desk staff was exceptionally polite. We usually stay at the Willard and while the location of the Loews was not as great, it is easily as nice as the Willard and far more personal.

Dear Julie B,
Thank you so much for your time to review Loews Madison. I am delighted that our commitment to highly personalized service was evident to you and was an enjoyable part of your stay. I will share your kind feedback about our team members with everyone! It’s wonderful to hear you found the room luxurious and comfortable. We appreciate that you chose to stay with us, and we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in our doors whenever you visit DC.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked the Love at Loews package for a special weekend as newlyweds. This should include flowers upon arrival, a room upgrade, and a dining credit. When we arrived, I reminded the front desk staff of our package, and she confirmed the dining credit. When we got to our room, it was tiny and there were no flowers in sight. When I called to confirm we were in the right room, I was told we were in the right place, and I felt very unwelcome with the tone of the staff. I had already brought up the issue twice, so we proceeded to make the best of it and go to our dinner reservation.

The next day, when I brought up the issue again when preparing to check out (when they asked me how my stay was), they confirmed in the system that we were put in the wrong room, and shared that someone else had even called down about receiving our flowers! We did receive an additional dining credit for this hassle, but arriving in a disappointing room and with a staff person twice being dismissive to me, it really ruined the romantic vibe. Add to that the unclean toilet and previous guests dirty socks and other garment (underwear, undershirt...I didn't touch it!) left in the dresser, and you could say we would've been better off staying home or at an even higher rated luxury hotel that might have provided better service the first time we asked (or at least the second time).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMLoews, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Ali F,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, and please know we highly value all of our guests’ input. I am extremely disappointed in reading about your visit. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the frustrating experiences during your stay. I can certainly understand your excitement in booking this package, and you are absolutely right to have expected more from us. We take great pride in providing memorable experiences for our guests, down to the smallest details, and I am sorry we did come through for your visit. In addition to our mistake with your flowers, the fact that you did not receive accommodating, friendly service from our staff, I am beyond dismayed. I have discussed this with our Director of Rooms, and we will be taking retraining opportunities with team members to ensure our standard of excellent service and attention to detail is experienced by all guests.

Regarding the room issues you mention, these are clearly unacceptable, and I personally addressed your concerns with our Director of Housekeeping. As a result we will increase our room inspections to prevent any re-occurrence of this situation. I can assure you comfort and cleanliness are top priorities. I would welcome a call from you to discuss your stay further. We would like to make amends with you and hope you would give us an opportunity in the future to host you, and to regain your confidence in Loews.

202-862-1600