“Great Weekend Getaway for Couples”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This review was for a 2-night stay, as a couple from PA, looking for a romantic getaway and to visit the Smithsonian Institute:

We had stayed in the: Grand Deluxe-King Room (Pictures are posted)

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay. The hotel was beautiful and well-kept. The staff was friendly and straight to the point rather than being overly-persuasive and bothersome. The hotel was in a great location being only a block from Dupont Circle, where restaurants, bars, and nightlife seem to be the main attraction. The parking was very high ($98.00 roughly for 2 nights) as we knew this upon booking; however, the metro is located 3 blocks away and is quite inexpensive for a day round-trip (About $11.00 for 2 from Dupont Metro to Smithsonian).
Our room, the Grand Deluxe-King Room, was a very great aspect to our trip. It was in immaculate condition with everything working and clean. Some say it could be outdated; however, I really enjoyed the luxury yellow, floral designs, and minimal over-the-top modern appeal. It was energetic and relaxing. The sitting area provided a decent view though it was not very useful to us; however, could be very useful to business-goers. The bed was extremely comfy, and I was extremely pleased to see bed-bug protectors on everything, including pillows, as I check for that type of stuff before relaxing. The room temperature was available and easy to fluctuate to a comfortable setting at said time, this being an important aspect since it was winter. The shower was large with great water pressure. It could fit about three people comfortably so this was fantastic just for two. The robes were a pleasant addition and were made use of many times.

The reason I gave The Fairfax only a 4-star rating out of 5 was because the lack of room/hotel amenities, besides the parking fees. The hotel really only supplied an exercise room without a pool or hot tub. The room, being a Grand Deluxe, could have included a tub or electric fireplace. Some would say that I should pay more for such things; however, I feel those small qualms could have made this an even more romantic atmosphere with a 5-star rating. Needless to say, I also realized that most Washington D.C hotels do not supply any of those amenities even for a higher cost, so I really don’t feel I missed out on much. If you are looking for something highly-romantic, I would suggest a bed and breakfast.

The location was great. We had walked a majority of our stay around Dupont Circle and the Smithsonian. The area and people were friendly with many choices to eat and play. The standard of living is higher than where we are from, so expect to pay $60-$80 (+ tip) for two at typical (non-fast food) restaurant. I would suggest to keep any shopping ideas for home, since there were minimal shopping stores that offered mediocre prices (Over $100 for shoes is not reasonable for my family, etc).

I would still go back to the Fairfax for the reasons I stated above; however, I think a 2-3 day trip is a reasonable time to conquer many site-seeing attractions in the area without becoming bored if one would have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PamAstro87
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

What a wonderful compliment it is to learn that you would consider staying at The Fairfax at Embassy Row on a return visit to Washington, DC. We’re thrilled that we were able to provide you with a relaxing and romantic atmosphere, perfect for a couple’s getaway in DC. Our location, as you can imagine, unfortunately does not allow much space for a pool, but our Concierge would be happy to help you find a wonderful spa in the area to indulge in. We’re grateful that you’ve shared not only your experience, but also gave many helpful tips to other guests. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and look forward to having you stay with us again very soon. Thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Great location, near Dupont Circle, many good restaurants, easy to Metro. Good front desk and bellmen staff. Public space a bit cramped but very pleasant. Rooms quite small, even for DC - mine even lacked a desk! Odd for a "business-friendly" hotel. OK fitness but a bit limited. Banquet food....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row during your recent visit to our Nation’s Capital. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and location, but regret to learn that our accommodations and dining options did not fully meet your expectations. For that, we apologize. Please don’t hesitate during any future stays, to reach out to us with any requests you may have as it would be our privilege to exceed your needs as we welcome you back. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

My husband, daughter (10) and myself just stayed one night here so we could attend a function next door at the Anderson House-which by the way is a beautiful museum. From the moment we pulled up to the minute we left, the service was fantastic. The bellmen, valet parkers, front desk, bartenders, etc were all fantastic. I must put a special shout out to Ricardo in Security who was fantastic in retrieving our iPad that we left behind in the room (it was almost 5 hours after we checked out that we realized it) and shipped it back to us-thank you again! We had originally intended on our daughter staying back home with my mom, but it turned out that was not going to be possible and when we showed up with her, the front desk couldn't have been nicer telling us no problem, and having a very comfortable roll away brought up for her. The king superior room we were in was a good size so we weren't too cramped. The bar downstairs is very nice.
The only cons I would have are the bathroom was tiny. There was really no place to stash toiletries/cosmetics. We happened to be in a connecting room and it was literally like there was no door there at all. I could hear every single word from the family next door. I am not too sure ho they might be able to remedy this. My last complaint would be the food at the bar was really subpar. An advertised Margherita Pizza was about the most basic cheese pizza I have ever seen and the hamburger which was ordered to a medium rare temp was well done and so crumbly, it was inedible.
Would any of these cons keep us from returning again, most assuredly not!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family to The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Thank you for mentioning how close we are located to so many wonderful places in Washington, DC and we’re thrilled that you had the opportunity to attend one of the engaging, educational events at the Anderson House. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your dining experience did not reflect our commitment to high standards and we do apologize for any noise disturbances you encountered. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for a wonderful stay in the future and we thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

We recently stayed at the Fairfax with our two boys on a visit to DC to look at colleges. The hotel is in a great location! Everything we needed to get to we did by walking or a quick taxi ride. The service was definitely 5 star. The doormen were wonderful and very friendly, as was the front desk staff. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant once, but the service there was also friendly. Our room, which was a corner suite, was very roomy for our family of four. We had a king bed, and we did not need any roll aways, as our suite had 2 sofa beds. The beds were comfy. The decor was traditional. The bathroom was small by today's standards, but this bathroom was very clean and well appointed. Being a historic hotel, it was just the type of elegant bathroom you might expect. The only complaint was the heat/AC seemed to have the thermostat in one room but blew from a loud, large vent in the other room. We were surprised that there was a charge for wifi. There is just no need for that in this type of hotel. Luckily, the package we had gave us free wifi so we did not have to pay the high fee for 4 people for 3 days. We would definitely stay at the Fairfax again!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your excellent review. We’re thrilled that you noticed our efforts to preserve the rich history and elegance of The Fairfax of Embassy Row, and took the time to extend your compliments. Our staff work very hard to ensure our guests are well taken care of and we appreciate your kind acknowledgement of them. We do apologize for any noise disturbances you encountered and will have our Maintenance Engineers look into any potential issues with the heating unit in your room. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for two nights this past weekend. The location is great in the heart of the embassy area and a short walk to Dupont Circle and P Street. Plenty of interesting restaurants within a very short distance and the hotel is right across the street from the Phillips Collection. The hotel itself is very nicely appointed and I am told was once a Ritz Carlton. The lobby is tiny. Off the lobby is a wonderful bar with lots of seating, a fireplace and is a great place to have drinks. The restaurant, 2100 Prime, is quiet and classic. The breakfast we enjoyed there was great with very professional and welcoming service.

Our room, 414, was disappointingly small, though nicely furnished. It would be more appropriate for a single guest rather than for 2. The bathroom was tiny and had virtually no storage space for toiletries. The king bed was comfortable but took up nearly all of the room. However, we did get a good rate of $154.00 from the hotel's website so it was still a reasonable value. The room doors to the hall slam very loudly and one can easily be wakened by it, as I was. Also, the bright lights from the hallway spill around the door frame making it impossible to get the room dark enough. These are issues the hotel ought to deal with.

We found the staff to be professional, especially the concierges, who assisted us with meal reservations and steered us right both times - to Circa for dinner and Kramerbooks for brunch.
We found the staff to be very friendly. We would return here for many reasons, but would request a larger room.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Equity
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

How wonderful to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable, and we sincerely appreciate your kind words for our staff. The convenient location of The Fairfax at Embassy Row enables our guests to get the most out of their stay in Washington, DC and we’re thrilled that it added enjoyment to your experience. Please don’t hesitate to let us know exactly what your needs are for any future stays. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and we thank you for your gracious review and helpful suggestions.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

After a very lovely first stay here several months ago, I opted for Fairfax Embassy Row again. This time, when I checked in, they put me in a room that was a fraction of the size I was in before. I went downstairs to ask about that, and they immediately put me in a much nicer and bigger room. Why even need to ask? You know I'm an SPG member. You know I've stayed here before, why leave a bad taste in my mouth.

New room was much bigger and comfier, but then looked around and realized there was no desk! I had a huge amount of work to do over four days, and did it all sitting on the bed. Also, Internet is expensive, and it only covers one device. They waived the additional device charges, but this is a ridiculous policy in this day and age. What traveling businessperson doesn't have a laptop, and iPad, and a smartphone? That's why I say this hotel isn't really that well suited for a business person. It's really more of a vacationers' hotel.

I'll also say that while the front desk and concierge are quite nice, the bell captain and bellboys are oddly useless. They'll chat while you're struggling with the very heavy front door and your luggage, and then come up to help you after you've thrown yourself through it already. This happened twice, as I had two sets of bags to bring in on two days.

Room Tip: Definitely ask if you're put in a tiny room. As noted above, they moved me into a larger room i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ricedish

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. While we are happy to learn that we were able to accommodate your request for a larger room, we are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not exceeded, regarding both your room and service levels provided. We will share your comments with our staff in order to emphasize the need for outstanding customer service and we thank you for alerting us to this issue. It would be our hope to be able to welcome you back for the exceptional stay that you deserve and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

The staff here is kind and helpful. The room was nice, but the shower was awesome--such great water pressure! However the best part about the hotel was its proximity to the Phillips Collection and the Anderson House Museums--such gems. The valet parking was pricey, but worth it because of parking restrictions in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled to read your comments and are glad that you enjoyed the convenient location and luxurious amenities at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Having the opportunity to explore the amazing museums that surround our hotel is something we wish every guest could experience. It was wonderful to have had you here and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Thank you for your lovely review.