“Best kept hotel secret in D.C.!!! (Shhhhhhh)”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best kept hotel secret in D.C.!!! (Shhhhhhh)”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you want to stay in the city at a great location (3 blocks from Georgetown, walking distance to Dupont Circle and the Metro, walking distance to a variety of great restaurants, Starbucks on the corner, CVS on the another corner) then The Fairfax at Embassy Row is the place. But please, don't tell everyone. This Luxury Collection Hotel is a GEM!! I'm a Starwood baby so I love staying at mostly Starwood Brands (love those star points). In addition to receiving Starwood points, I love the location, the staff is always friendly and attentive, the hotel is a traditional style property on Embassy Row and when you pull up in the drive way you feel like you've arrived. From the doorman, concierge, front desk and housekeeping you feel special (you even get turndown service at night). One of the best features of this hotel is the fabulous beds and pillows. After a long day, you feel like you've just jumped on a cloud, the pillows are so fluffy. If you want great advice on where to eat or what to do, go see Peter Gill, Concierge he can point you in the right direction, he's fabulous. I've read some of the other reviews and one stated that the property is "dated". It really depends on your definition of dated. When I say a property is dated that means it's in need of a serious renovation, top to bottom. The Fairfax is NOT that property, at ALL. It's a traditional style, high post bed design in an historic building. Updated flat screen TVs in the room, nice bathroom and thick towels and very nice toiletries. The only item I would say is dated is the shower heads (be very careful when changing the temperature, it can get really HOT). I LOVE, LUV, LUV, this hotel and you usually can find great rates midweek and on the weekends since most of the business travelers and diplomats are home. When I travel on business and come home to visit my family, I stay at the Fairfax as my central point between Maryland and Virginia. Parking is expensive like most city hotels, on street parking meters is available, but I always get a ticket, so I just valet. At The Fairfax they treat everyone like a Diplomat!!

Room Tip: As for an upgrade and try to get a room inside (less noise).
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 16 April 2013
We can’t thank you enough for your most gracious review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Hearing from our return guests is especially enjoyable, because you’ve had the opportunity to experience our hotel over and over again. It’s wonderful to learn how much you enjoy the classic and traditional style of our accommodations and receive a great night’s sleep on our Signature Bed each time you are here. We hope you will be able to visit your family soon and come and stay with us again. Thank you again for your amazing review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It is great to stay in a hotel that is not "cookie cutter", this old hotel is very nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We spent two nights in DC and were close enough to enjoy the sights. I stayed in this hotel over 45 years ago on vacation, it was fun to see it again and the memories of when I was kid staying there came flooding back. If you are looking for something that gives you a flavor of Washingtion DC and is not like all the other "cookie cutter" hotels this is it. Enjoy! We were able to get the room discounted through the internet.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
At The Fairfax at Embassy Row, we strive to ensure that each and every one of our guests leaves feeling that their experience was not cookie-cutter, but personalized. It’s wonderful to hear that you felt this way and were able to rekindle a love for this hotel again. We hope you won’t wait too long to come and visit with us again and we thank you for kind review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We spent two nights at the hotel during a weekend trip to Washington. The hotel's location very near Dupont Circle is very convenient and a good starting point to explore the city. Unfortunately the hotel seems a bit dated and what others may describe as charming I would consider too old-fashioned. The room itself was very spacious, but fixtures and fittings have certainly not made it into the 21st century aside from the coffee-maker and iPod docking station.
The bedroom included a door to a storage cabinet or a/c unit, which was rather noisy and also meant that whatever was housed in there needed constant cooling as despite having switched off the a/c unit the room was very cold.
The bathroom amenities were fine though there was no room to actually hang up used towels. Given the hotel's encouragement to save water and re-use towels, which I am absolutely supportive of, there is no hook or anything that would allow a guest to do so.
We didn't use any of the facilities or the concierge services.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 8 April 2013
While we’re very happy to read that our location and spacious guestroom made for an enjoyable stay, we would like to apologize for any issues that made your experience less than impeccable. We absolutely appreciate any suggestions from our guests and will take your request into consideration. You are correct that our traditional décor may not be for everyone and we appreciate you acknowledging this. We hope you will consider staying with us if you are ever in the Washington, DC area again. Thank you for your review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row.
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Great location and very professional staff. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Hotel is very quiet and gives the feeling that it is smaller than it actually is. An old building, but very well maintained.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We are delighted to learn that your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row was so enjoyable and we thank you for your great review. Your kind comments for our staff are much appreciated and we would be pleased to pass along your compliments. Please come and stay with us again soon!
West Henrietta, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Our family's first trip to DC was amazing!! We definately picked the right place to stay for our visit. The hotel was extremely clean and just beautiful with it's old world charm and historical feel.
The entire staff made us feel welcome and were helpful in their suggestions. After a long day seeing different museums and sites, choosing a restaurant was the last thing we wanted to do. The concierge chose perfect places where our family could eat each night and made sure to book our reservations for us. They took care of all the details and it was greatly appreciated!! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to DC. Our family has decided to make DC a yearly trip and to make The Fairfax the place we go to without a doubt!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We are so glad that The Fairfax at Embassy Row was part of an enjoyable family getaway for you. It is a wonderful compliment when our guests notice the historic charm of the hotel and have the opportunity to explore the surrounding neighborhood that adds to that charm. Your kind recommendation is sincerely appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back year after year and we thank you for your gracious review.
Nashville
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed for almost two weeks while in the process of relocating and the entire staff made it feel like my home away from home. It is a lovely hotel and reminds me of staying in the old Mayflower Hotel when I was a child. However, it has been updated and is a very comfortable place to stay. The room I stayed in was very nice and had a nice big tub as well as a shower in the bath, which was really nice. Every morning the doormen would greet me with big smile, open doors and ask if I needed anything. Requests were quickly filled by front desk, doormen and concierge. The only issue I encountered was that the hot water went out one morning, however, the staff brought me free coffee (and offered breakfast too) and internet so I could at least work until the issue was fixed. All hotels do run into problems but I really appreciated the staff making an effort to alleviate the associated pain. Since I was working a lot of long hours, I had dinner in the bar almost every night so have to give special attention to the fantastic staff there. It is a very cozy space with lots of comfortable seating areas and a fireplace (perfect during the cold weather). Raul, Hugo and Eduardo take special care of everyone who patronizes the bar and made me always feel welcome and special. After two weeks, I think I had tried everything on the menu so can highly recommend it as a great place to eat. The staff at The Fairfax are what elevates it from a nice D.C. hotel to a very special place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Your review has absolutely made our day! It is always our pleasure to attend to every need of our guests, and knowing that during your extended stay with us we were able to provide you with all the comforts of home is exciting to hear. We do appreciate your understanding during the issue we had with the supply of hot water and we’re happy that we were able to resolve the problem. How wonderful that our staff created such a memorable experience for you, both in the Fairfax Lounge and in our hotel. We are so please that your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row was exceptional and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future. Thank you for your amazing review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have lived in the DC area for decades so while I've had family stay here, this was our first visit, hunkered down amidst a home renovation. It was such a pleasant time, very luxurious, and I am picky! We had a corner King room on the 5th floor for two nights, our kids were nearby in a room with two doubles, with ample space. Great views of the (hotel) reflecting pool and statuary, facing the Pilgrim church. The bar service and wine selections were outstanding, and I recommend the chocolate creme brûlée. Liked being steps away from Starbucks, and while I worked my (young adult) kids explored the neighborhood. Very close to the Metro, but I had to pay the crazy high parking fees, which were offset by well-priced entrees and drinks, and the absurdly low Priceline Express rate!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank SRSvacation
We’re very happy that you and your family chose to stay with us at The Fairfax at Embassy Row while your home was being renovated. It’s great to hear that our convenient location provided you with easy access to your favorite shops and in turn gave your family a chance to explore while you were working. Your positive comments are truly appreciated and we hope welcome you back in the future. Thank you for your review.