“Terrific Location”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Oakland, California
“Terrific Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Five-night stay for a conference in February 2014. It's a beautiful hotel with nicely appointed rooms. The restaurant was a nice place to eat, have drinks, and socialize. I had one of the best no-cheese pizzas (I am a vegan) ever! It was close to the Metro, a 24-hour CVS, Kramerbooks and Afterword Cafe, La Tomate, the Phillips Gallery (free on weekdays!). The staff were very helpful, friendly, and professional.
The breakfast buffet, however, was ridiculously expensive, even for a hotel. I opted not to get the buffet. Instead, I got a tea and a small bowl of oatmeal one morning, and it cost me $16.
I also think it's archaic to charge for in-room Internet in this day and age. And the fee for using the computer and printing was ridiculous, too, though I didn't really have a choice, as I was making last-minute changes to my paper and printing handouts.
Without the conference rate, it would have been a very expensive stay, so I probably wouldn't stay there again unless my imaginary sugar daddy was paying for it. But it was a nice experience overall.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We certainly appreciate hearing how much you enjoyed your 5-night stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row and how our central location made exploring the area even more fun! We do understand your frustration with charges for Internet access and use of our Business Center, but hope you can appreciate that our fees are comparable, if not lower than many other Washington, DC hotels that charge for the same service. We thank you for your kind comments for our staff and hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I had a great experience at this hotel; I was there a week, so I had an opportunity to really experience it. Room service is great, it's quick and the food is good, although it is a limited menu.
Everyone on the staff was friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile to help out. On the day I arrived, the airlines had ripped my new suitcase; I asked one of the front-desk staff if there was anywhere nearby I could get it fixed; she said there was--and walked with me down the block to a shoe repair shop, introduced me as a guest of the hotel, and the shop owner assured me he could fix the bag before I left. He did and you can't tell where he repaired it.
My room was clean, the bed very comfortable, and the windows open a few inches to let in fresh air, if you wish.
I needed a connector to connect to a projector and a clicker--I forgot mine; they assured me they could handle it, no problem, and they did. I had a large package arrive that needed my signature, repacking and sending out again. They brought it up to my room along with packing tape. I opened it, signed it, retyped it, and called the front desk. It went off that night from the hotel.
The business center, often a source of great irritation for travelers, was excellent and everything worked like a charm.
Also, the hotel is in near many shops, book shops, and restaurants within easy walking distance--and right across the street from the Philips Collection, an excellent museum devoted to modernist art.

Room Tip: In any hotel, I always prefer rooms that are higher up--for the quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Not being a cookie-cutter hotel is what makes The Fairfax at Embassy Row the special place that it is and we’re thrilled that the personal attention you received made your stay even better. We’re so pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the wonderful cuisine from our room service menu and also worked closely with our staff to set up your conference needs in a timely manner. We would consider it a privilege to welcome you back for another great stay at our hotel and we sincerely thank you for your gracious comments.
Walker, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed at the Fairfax for a conference. Hotel was top quality for a good rate in a prime location at Dupont Circle. It was 1 1/2 blocks to Dupont Red line metro. It was walking distance from great restaurants and across the street from the Phillips Gallery.
Excellent Staff: The staff was really outstanding, friendly, attentive. I was on an academic budget and didn't have much to offer in tip money, but still the service was terrific. I was always greeted by several staff, had the door opened, helped with any need I had. The cleaning staff was friendly and superior in their attention to the room.
The Lobby: The lobby is attractive but small. There is not much space in the lobby to sit or interact or use the free lobby Internet. There is more space over by the ballroom, but the Internet does not connect there. That was one of two things that surprised me. But, the lounge area itself is spacious and comfortable. So, for business or chatting, go to the lounge.
The Room. The room was not large but comfortable and tasteful. The bathroom was terrific with a beautiful shower and plenty of hot water. The bed was comfortable with nice linens. My only complaint is that the pillows, while large and sufficient in quantity were lumpy and not very comfortable. They seemed to be down but were not soft to lay on or sit against to lounge.
Food. We only tried a dessert in the lounge, but it was delicious and beautifully plated. Food looked and smelled good that we saw, but there were too many wonderful restaurants close by to stay at the hotel to eat.
Overall, the value and service at the hotel to go with its great location make it a real winner.

Room Tip: 8th floor had a good view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
We are delighted to learn that your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row was so enjoyable and we thank you for your feedback and suggestions. It was our pleasure to provide you with outstanding service while you were here and for future visits, please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything you need to make your stay even better. We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you for your review.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Older hotel but clean and a fantastic location! Five minutes to DuPont circle and the metro. Staff was very nice. Very close to good restaurants and bars. The windows were a bit drafty, but overall I would recommended and return

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
We’re so glad to see that our attentive staff and central location of The Fairfax at Embassy Row made your stay with us exceptional. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business. It is beginning to look a bit tired and could do with a bit of modernising. The Rooms were large though and clean. Liked the shower gel as it had those exfoliating beads in it.

• Stayed February 2014
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for choosing The Fairfax at Embassy Row for your business trip to Washington, DC. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the thoughtful amenities provided in our guestrooms and we appreciate you pointing out areas that may need more attention from us. We look forward to greeting you again in the future and we thank you for your review.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is luxurious and definitely wins in history, ambience and location - 5 minutes to DuPont Circle shops and restaurants and is in the same block as the Starbucks. Staff were excellent - very friendly and are eager to help and offer advice and take good care of you. I would recommend this hotel, and I would definitely come back the next time I'm in DC.

Stayed February 2014
We’re so glad to see that our attentive staff and central location made your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row exceptional. We try very hard to ensure that each and every one of our guests are treated with the utmost care and consideration, and it’s wonderful to see that was the case during your stay. We’re already looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to the DC area! Thank you for your kind review.
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great location - old world charm but rooms need an overhaul. Windows are soo drafty it's crazy. Mold in bathrooms. Bed spreads are raggity. Staff is nice though. Carpets need changing. Gym needs updating.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelqueen15
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We certainly appreciate you bringing the issues to the forefront that detracted from your stay. We will be sure to review your comments with our staff so that more attention can be given to the areas that you mentioned. We hope you will stay with us again soon!