The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #60 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Trumbull, Connecticut
“Sweet spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I picked this hotel due to its location to the Metro. I ran the Rock'n'Roll marathon and originally planned to stay two nights. Due to an accident at home, I was able to get credit for a night stay with a short conversation with a representative. Upon my arrival I was pleasantly greeted by the bellman and desk staff. I asked for a late check-out and was so glad to know it was no trouble. After running the race, hotel staff offered me additional water and an even later check out time. I was greeted by name by the front desk staff as though I was an honored guest. Upon leaving, I realized I had left my phone charger in my room. With an easy call to security, they retrieved my charger and returned to me before I even needed it! Each contact point was excellent. And the room was comfortable and clean, the location was great and the lounge is very quaint. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 24 March 2014
It was an absolute delight to welcome you to The Fairfax at Embassy Row and we’re so pleased to read that our staff was able to provide you with the necessary attention needed to make your stay even better. We certainly appreciate your kind words and hope that you will be able to join us again soon for another exceptional stay. Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Imagine a hotel where the staff is genuinely nice, the building is gorgeous, and it's perfectly located. The Fairfax at Embassy Row meets all of those criteria. I purchased this hotel as a "Mystery" hotel and could not have asked for anything better. I experienced a travel day, which the folks at The Fairfax took care of instantly, which did wonders to de-stress.

When we arrived we were greeted by incredibly nice and knowledgeable staff. The hotel is located at Dupont Circle, which basically is where it is at. Surrounded by tasty restaurants and fancy embassies. If you're ambitious you can easily walk to the National Mall, if you're less ambitious it is very close to the Metro station.

The room was quiet and very comfortable. The shower can make or break an experience for me. I love the toiletries especially the body wash. The water pressure was amazing and it was nice to come home to a hot shower.

Overall, highly recommended for their great service and amazing location!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
With the Metro being less than 2 blocks away from The Fairfax at Embassy Row, our guests are provided the ultimate experience of exploring Washington, DC with the utmost convenience. We’re so glad you found your accommodations to your liking and were able to relax a bit while staying with us. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to your next stay.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I loved this gem of a hotel. My husband and I stayed in a handicapped-accessible room on the 5th floor. We didn't need the handicapped accommodations, but the room had the lowest available rate, so we took it. The staff found us a room with extra space for a cot (we had an unexpected third guest for a night). The bed was amazingly comfortable and both the bedroom and bath were very spacious. Our only complaint was that the water-pressure in the shower wasn't great, likely because of the modified showerhead.

The staff was also very friendly. We showed up early, expecting to just drop off our bags, but they let us go right to the room. The location was also great--just one block from the Dupont Circle Metro station and in a cute little part of town with plenty of restaurants and places to go. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dupont Circle certainly has a wide array of elegant dining options and shopping establishments, all within steps of the doors of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We’re delighted that you had an opportunity to enjoy the area and were impressed with the service levels you received from our staff. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future!
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed for a weekend. The place seems to work hard at looking snobby but the staff was extraordinarily friendly, whether you were wearing a tie ... or not. Perfect location, maybe 200 yards from Dupont Circle, so it's a quick walk to the Metro. Have to mention that the LG flatscreen was the best calibrated TV that I've ever watched in a hotel. Some coffee in the lobby in the morning would be nice, but maybe the swells knew the secret password and we didn't. Oh well, the weekend price on Expedia was too low to pass up. We'll stay here again on the next trip to DC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row during your visit to our Nation’s Capital. We’re happy to read that your stay was comfortable, but would like to clarify that a coffee maker and supplies is provided in every room for our guests’ convenience. It was a pleasure to welcome you as a guests and we look forward to your return.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the first time for two nights in March 2014 with my girlfriend. As others pointed out, it's in a great location, lots of life around and also close to the metro.

I had a wonderful experience checking in, Kati, the person at the reception was extremely friendly and helpful. She made sure we got a great room, and was very patient (even after I locked myself out of the room 5 minutes after checking in).

The hotel also has a great bar and the bartender was super nice. (S)he made us delicious cocktails and went out of her way to make us feel well.

The top it off, we got a late checkout after sleeping in. All in all, it was a wonderful experience, I highly recommend this hotel. I will definitely be staying here again.

2 Thank Tamas E
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 19 March 2014
We love hearing that our dedicated staff and their efforts created an enjoyable stay for you and we sincerely appreciate your recommendation of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Thank you for letting us know which staff members specifically made your stay more comfortable; we will be sure to acknowledge their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and we appreciate your feedback.
Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Last time I was here, had a small spartan room with no desk. This time, arrived on a snowy night; asked for a room with a desk - and the very helpful front desk person found one that he thought had a desk (and was right). Called after I got into the room just to make sure. Room MUCH better, lighter, larger and very helpful for a business traveler. (Desk person said many people came for other reasons and often didn't want a desk.) Staff particularly helpful this time.

Room Tip: Desks seem associated with size.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
How nice that your recent stay with us provided you with just what you needed for a productive business stay. It was a delight to welcome you to The Fairfax at Embassy Row and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and accommodations. We hope you will be able to join us for another stay very soon and we thank you for sharing your experience.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Five-night stay for a conference in February 2014. It's a beautiful hotel with nicely appointed rooms. The restaurant was a nice place to eat, have drinks, and socialize. I had one of the best no-cheese pizzas (I am a vegan) ever! It was close to the Metro, a 24-hour CVS, Kramerbooks and Afterword Cafe, La Tomate, the Phillips Gallery (free on weekdays!). The staff were very helpful, friendly, and professional.
The breakfast buffet, however, was ridiculously expensive, even for a hotel. I opted not to get the buffet. Instead, I got a tea and a small bowl of oatmeal one morning, and it cost me $16.
I also think it's archaic to charge for in-room Internet in this day and age. And the fee for using the computer and printing was ridiculous, too, though I didn't really have a choice, as I was making last-minute changes to my paper and printing handouts.
Without the conference rate, it would have been a very expensive stay, so I probably wouldn't stay there again unless my imaginary sugar daddy was paying for it. But it was a nice experience overall.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We certainly appreciate hearing how much you enjoyed your 5-night stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row and how our central location made exploring the area even more fun! We do understand your frustration with charges for Internet access and use of our Business Center, but hope you can appreciate that our fees are comparable, if not lower than many other Washington, DC hotels that charge for the same service. We thank you for your kind comments for our staff and hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.