“Comfortable, great location”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 March 2014

If you're spending time in DuPont Circle, this hotel is incredibly convenient. Very nice place, helpful staff. The room is perhaps a little tight (too much furniture in the space), but a good, clean room. Metro accessible is also a plus!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim M
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your kind patronage of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We’re delighted that our centric location worked out so well for you and that our staff made your stay even better. It would be our privilege to welcome you back again in the future and we thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I planned a quick stop in DC on the way home from a long road trip. Our plan was a late check-in, breakfast with a friend, then back on the road. We arrived just before midnight, completely exhausted. Even with reinstating my SPG status, check-in was swift and within 5 minutes we were in our room. Our room was very nice, and most importantly, the bed was comfy. The following morning, another quick stop at the front desk and we were on our way, equipped with directions to the local catholic church, mass times and recommendations for breakfast. Check-out was a breeze, our car was waiting for us when we arrived in the lobby and we were back on the road. I read the reviews about the unimpressive lobby and the quality of the toiletries before our stay, but frankly that isn't a priority for me. My criteria is a friendly, helpful staff, clean, comfortable and quiet room and location (walking distance to many eateries and restaurants and the Metro). I got exactly what I needed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for mentioning the convenient location of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your time with us, however brief it may have been, and that your accommodations provided you with a restful night’s sleep. We hope to continue to welcome you back again and again and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I previously reviewed this property many years ago when my purse was stolen in DC and swore to never return to this hotel where we received no help. We recently bid on a 4* star property for DuPont Circle on Priceline.com and the Fairfax just happened to be what we got. We went with an open mind and we were very happy with our return after almost 8 years. Here are our pros and cons:

Pros

~2blocks from metro at DuPont
~walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops and services
~room was large, bed was comfortable, room at rear of property was very quiet even on 2nd floor
~bathroom was large with ample sink and storage space (decent hair dryer too)
~staff were friendly and professional, check-in was a breeze
~doormen were quick and always greeted us and asked if we needed a cab
~work out room was very nice
~elevators were large and rarely had to wait more than a few seconds
~we always praise hotels that offer us good rooms despite bidding via Priceline...we seemed to be treated with as much respect as any other guest.

Cons

~like other reviewers have stated, the absence of free wi-fi is a drawback. Travelers really want this service included and I hope the Fairfax considers adding free wi-fi (it would be attractive if Starwood hotels would offer free wi-fi to guests who sign up for their rewards program, which is what Omni Hotels does)
~We also noted as other travelers have that our shower water took a good minute or so to warm up, also despite caulking at the base of the shower there was a large puddle that would leak out onto he bathroom floor that we needed to clean up with towels (rm 216)
~we did not like the brand of toiletries and next time would bring our own shampoo and conditioner
~valet parking in the district is very high, I believe it was upwards of $40 per night. This is standard at other properties of this caliber, but a tip to travelers on weekends is to find street parking. Just be wary of the signs with restrictions.

We recommend this hotel for travelers who want to stay at a nice property close to all the action, but which feels homey and quiet inside. Also, many travelers have complained about the price of breakfast...there are dozens of restaurants within a a few blocks to save on breakfast. Overall, we had a good stay and it's nice to know we no longer have to avoid this property. We will return happily.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel if you value quiet and don't mind a view of alleyways and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patravels_7
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Your review has certainly made us smile! We’re so pleased to hear that you gave The Fairfax at Embassy Row another chance and ended up having a wonderful visit to Washington, DC. Just to clarify, Platinum SPG Members do receive complimentary in-room Internet access, along with the highest level of benefits in the SPG program. No matter how our guests reserve their stay with us, we strive to provide each and every one with outstanding service and we’re happy to read that we met that goal with your stay. Thank you for your helpful suggestions for other readers and we look forward to greeting you again very soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is very good with proximity to DuPont Circle, Metro etc. The building itself is gorgeous and rooms are quite nice but I felt the hotel lacked charm/character. Perhaps due to the very small lobby it is difficult to establish a vibe. I didn't find staff particularly personable. We got this place for a good price but would probably stay elsewhere next time. We stayed at Renaissance on M Street a few years ago and it was better.

Stayed: July 2013

Reviews from our guests are the best way for us to further improve the experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row and we sincerely appreciate yours! Part of the luxury experience that our hotel provides is personalized service, and we regret that your stay did not fully represent that. Your comments will be shared with our staff in order to pre-empt any further occurrences such as this. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your review. Please come and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Very nice hotel. Slow check in but I got over it. There is no lobby here to speak of, they should put more seating to make up for that.

Awesome fitness center. everything worked well.

OK, why not 5 stars? The on site restaurants were very disappointing. The breakfast crew could not keep up. One morning, they gave me a used coffee cup and spoon.. When I pointed it out, they only replaced the spoon and ran off. I had to flag them down again to replace the cup.

Lunch was not better. Food mediocre and service slow.

The hotel property was very nice. Good location, close to Metro. Would stay again, just wouldn't eat there.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We’re pleased that you were able to enjoy our on-site fitness center but very disappointed to read about your dining experience. We will be sure to share your comments with our restaurant staff in order to pre-empt any further occurrences such as this and we thank you for alerting us to this concern. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I am a frequent business traveler, and I had the pleasure of making the Fairfax at Embasy Row my home away from home each week for seven months. I was consistently impressed by the outstanding service I received at this hotel. The front desk staff was always prompt and courteous. The director of business travel sales went well above expectations to make sure the Fairfax was positioned to offer the best service possible to its business guests. The rooms were each very unique, speaking to the history of the building, and which I enjoyed compared to the cookie cutter rooms found in newer properties. The location of the property was excellent, with nearby restaurants, metro stations, and other amenities around DuPont Circle.

Room Tip: I always enjoyed the rooms facing Massachusetts Avenue or south
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven D

Not being a cookie-cutter hotel is what makes The Fairfax at Embassy Row the special place that it is. We’re thrilled that your extended stay was made complete by the attention given by our dedicated staff and comfort provided by our luxurious accommodations. We strive to ensure that every one of our guests is truly satisfied with their experience and we’re happy to read that we met that goal with yours. We look forward to welcoming you back and we thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I picked this hotel due to its location to the Metro. I ran the Rock'n'Roll marathon and originally planned to stay two nights. Due to an accident at home, I was able to get credit for a night stay with a short conversation with a representative. Upon my arrival I was pleasantly greeted by the bellman and desk staff. I asked for a late check-out and was so glad to know it was no trouble. After running the race, hotel staff offered me additional water and an even later check out time. I was greeted by name by the front desk staff as though I was an honored guest. Upon leaving, I realized I had left my phone charger in my room. With an easy call to security, they retrieved my charger and returned to me before I even needed it! Each contact point was excellent. And the room was comfortable and clean, the location was great and the lounge is very quaint. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

It was an absolute delight to welcome you to The Fairfax at Embassy Row and we’re so pleased to read that our staff was able to provide you with the necessary attention needed to make your stay even better. We certainly appreciate your kind words and hope that you will be able to join us again soon for another exceptional stay. Thank you for your review.