The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
US$309
US$262
Dupont Circle
  • Restaurant
Washington Plaza Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$197
US$503
US$458
The Watergate
US$463
US$389
  • Pool
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$449
US$148
Omni Hotels
US$346
US$265
Official Website
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
US$499
US$271
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$254
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
US$262
Hotelpower.com
1,960 results
All reviewsdupont circlejockey clubanderson housephillips collectionluxury hotelfront desk staffbeautiful hotelmetro stationlocation is greatper daybusiness centertwo blocksdc areawhite housevalet parkingnational malliprefer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We spent one night at the Fairfax, after celebrating a friend's special event. The building and common areas are adequate, if not exceptional, and the bar was quite large and empty on a Friday night, so we had it to ourselves. The room itself was nice enough, but again, nothing exceptional. The hotel feels like a bit of a cross between a boutique hotel and larger chain. As with many boutique hotels, the front desk/check-in area is small, so when there are lots of people, it gets crowded and takes too long. Unlike many boutique hotels, I didn't find anything particularly charming about the place. The staff, however, were friendly and competent.

My greatest disappointment was the sound-proofing, or lack thereof, in the rooms. We had hoped to sleep late the next morning, after being up late the night before, but the walls were so thin that we awoke early the next morning to the sound of conversation from the room next door, as if we were all in the same room. We could hardly complain to the gabby neighbors - they weren't being loud - they were just talking in normal voices, but we could hear everything loud and clear. The fault was not with the talkers, but with the walls. If not for the fact that we got a good price on Hotwire, I would have been very disappointed with the whole experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Fairfaxhotel, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Thanks so much for providing valuable feed back to us. We are dedicayed to providing a true hospitality experience and apologize for the noise concern.Our staff appreciate your kind words on their friendliness and look forward to welcoming you back for a more restful experience.

Bob

Reviewed 23 July 2010

Just returned from a weekend get a away at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. The hotel is great. It is located ideally within walking distance to Dupont Circle and the Metro. Dupont Circle is a lively beautiful area and if you do not want to go to far there a several dining options. The Hotel is located close to all DC attractions either by Metro or cab.
We took a tour in the Hop on Hop off bus which is close by and we had a blast - I highly recommend it.

The Hotel is fantastic, from bell man to Reception - everybody always welcomed us with a big smile! The rooms are great and the beds are very comfortable (loved the TV!!).
In Room Dining was great during a rainy day and the food was fabulous. We also enjoyed having a drink at the Fairfax Lounge.
The rooms were spottless clean and our Housekeeper knew our name ( I have never experienced that before).

I will definetely return to the Fairfax again!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

The entire staff thank you so much for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.We are dedicated to providing a true hospitality experience and our housekeeper will be particuarly delighted to have been recognised for excellent service.Safe travels.
Bob Schofield

Reviewed 13 July 2010

First time at this very nice Luxury Collection property from Starwood, our upgraded room was very big, with a large bathroom.

The area is great with a lot of restaurants and cafes for all types, good subway connections from nearby Dupont Circle.

Was there for two nights, I tried to speak to the concierge four times, at various times before actually being able to find someone there - all mid-day, afternoon, and evening.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

We are delighted that you enjoyed your accomodations and found us to be in an excellent location for all your needs.I apologize for the delay in locating a concierge and hopefully she was eventually able to provuide excellent service.Thanks so much for sharing your views and safe travels.

Bob

Reviewed 10 July 2010

I stayed at the Fairfax Embassy Row on a day when their computer system had crashed. When I arrived in the early afternoon, the staff at the front desk explained the situation and took all of my check-in information. Since they didn't have rooms available yet, they took my bag so I could go out for the afternoon. When I came back later in the day, there was a bit of a wait, but the same staff members were again very apologetic and had a room with a king-sized bed ready for me.

The decor felt a bit dated to me and wasn't my style, but overall the room was very comfortable, with an iPod dock, several lamps, a big closet, a flat-screen TV, and a large bathroom with very good toiletries. My biggest complaint is that the pillows were awful--it felt like sleeping on piles of cotton balls! I also wish some of the outlets were more conveniently located.

The hotel is very close to the Dupont Circle metro station, and the nearby neighborhood is filled with plenty of shops and restaurants. I walked about 20 minutes over to Logan Square for the evening, and while friends gave me a ride back, the neighborhood was very well-lit and I would have felt safe walking at night.

Overall, the staff was excellent and made my stay a good one, even though I wasn't at the hotel much. They managed to rise above a very stressful situation with their computer system crash and still offer the best service that they possibly could. Throughout my stay, I don't think I ever passed a staff member who didn't say hello to me or hold a door for me. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Fairfaxhotel, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Thanks so much for your appreciation of our staff and their dedication to providing a warm and welcoming experience.I am also so pleased that you enjoyed the accomodations and amenities and look forward to your return and welcoming all your referrals.Safe travels.

Reviewed 26 June 2010

We stayed here for one night, two days whilst passing through Washington. We decided to treat ourself, as normally we would be in a 3* hotel, and were left a little disappointed by the experience.
The staff on reception were abrupt, and it felt that us checking in was an inconvenience to them. They had no time for any conversation, no map of the local area, no hints and tips to the neighbourhood, no personality or warmth.
Despite there being 3 of us stood in reception, and the booking clearly saying "2 double beds" we were shown to a room with only one bed, and then had to return to reception to again be made to feel like an inconvenience, and then move ourselves from one room to another.
Valet parking came in at $42.56 (£30), not the $30 advertised on hotels.com - I appreciate (now) that the official website states $38 - but I did not check this prior to departing assuming the correct information was displayed on the website I made the booking with.
The door staff had no knowledge of the area, unable to assist us in finding our way to the tourist attractions and sights, other than getting our car back out of the garage.
Unfortunately the hotel is no where near the main sightseeing locations - my fault for not researching this first.
On the plus side the hotel is located a short walking distance from Dupont Circle, and is therefore surrounded by some good restaurants.
The room we were finally given was clean, spacious, with a nice bathroom and good facilities.
All in all I was left wondering what this hotel offered that a 3* didn't, and what it had done to get the extra 1.5 stars.
I was left feeling I was simply was too middle class for the staff's liking - perhaps upper class folk receive preferential treatment - all in all I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel - instead treat yourself to a 3 star.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Fairfaxhotel, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Thanks so much for providing feedback on your recent visit.
I am pleased to hear that you were pleased with the accomodations provided and we have addressed the initial reservation system concern with the third part provider.Our experienced concierge and front office team are dedicated to provide quality service and assistance to all our valued guests and will be dissappointed to hear that we did not provide necessary assistance on this occasion.