“It's nice but I'm not going back”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #93 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I'm addicted to Groupon and Living Socials DC offers ad this was one I took advantage of. My name was somehow typo'ed from the get go and even though I sent an email to the hotel re: that; no response was made. When I checked in the clerk was very irritated that I was Dawn and not Owen. I'd had a tumultuous week and was looking forward to relaxing but he was so unfriendly it just felt like one more thing and I was sure my visit was going to be a depressing disaster.
However I never had to deal with the front desk again and found the bartender, the doorman, valets, and (especially) my waiter for dinner to be charming and hospitable. It's a beautiful hotel and close to the Capitol, The Botanical Gardens, and Union Station so that was different than my usual haunts near DuPont Circle or the Waterfront.
It’s a beautiful hotel and if you can get a deal for around $100.00 it’s not too bad. But then add parking, internet, and the location (unless you are visiting one of the places I mentioned) and it’s not that great of a deal. This is a hotel for politicians and business travelers, not tourists.

3  Thank Dawn M

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Booked this hotel for a last minute trip. The hotel is in a great location- just steps away from Union Station and a few blocks away from the Capitol Building and National Mall. We put money on our SmarTrip card but only used it once. We walked everywhere since a majority of the sites are under a mile away.

The hotel and the room itself was nice. It definitely has an upscale feel. The bathroom had great lighting but I was disappointed by its cleanliness (or lack there of). I found hair on the bathroom floor and bathtub so that was upsetting.

You could hear the traffic and honking from the room but it wasn't obnoxiously loud. It was easy to ignore after awhile. I'm not sure if I just got lucky but I didn't hear any of my neighbors. The only time I did hear the other guests was when they were directly outside of my room or down the hallway.

In terms of the staff, they were fine. The doorman was extremely helpful and polite. Checkout was smooth but finding large chunks of bread crumbs on the seats of my car from the valet wasn't exactly how I wanted to end my trip.

All in all, nice hotel, good location but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Pros: Location (close to the metro and the National Mall), upscale feel, relatively thick walls
Cons: Bathroom not cleaned well, inconsiderate valet, outside noise but bearable

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank traveler500930
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This was my first visit @ this hotel. Got a great deal thru Priceline. I read the reviews after purchase so my expectations were set. I stayed 3 nights and must say my expectations were met, and exceeded on my in-room dining experiences. Not only was it fast, for hotel food, it was so good, and tasty. They give you plenty of towels, a definite plus because I usually have to request more at more expensive hotels. The location of the hotel is another two thumbs up! I would not necessarily choose to stay here because it is an older hotel and I just prefer something more modern and fancy. However, if price, space, and/or location is a primary factor, this is the place to be! Only minus was that I could never get my room warm enough although I had the thermostat on 80 (I like my room toasty, especially when it is in the 20 's outside). I had to put on a jacket and socks to get the warmth I wanted.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank slsaage
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I snagged a last minute $99 a night deal off of the app Hotels Tonight. The hotel is definitely larger on the inside than it appears from the outside. The lobby is very grand and open. The location is very close to Capitol Hill but there are not a lot of happenings on the weekend or at night. The front desk staff had a difficult time locating my reservation and they were just okay, not friendly at all but not rude. I asked about the Wi-Fi and I was told there was two options; basic speed for $12 night or an upgraded speed for $20 a night. $20 a night for Wi-Fi! I did without that is way too expensive. Once I arrived to my room, I was very much impressed with the size of the room and huge bathroom but I definitely felt like I was in the early 90's hanging with Vanilla Ice based on the decor. The bed was very large and comfortable. I ordered room service which was delicious but very pricey. I do not recommend this hotel to other travelers based on the price of the internet and other services that you can get for free and cheaper at other hotels situated in more vibrant areas of DC.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Mid Atlantic Leather had their 2013 gathering at the Hyatt Regency up the street and so I came back to Washington Court because I really do like my privacy. Unlike last year I could only do two nights and boy were they fun. My neighbors down the hall were attending the same function and so we came back to my room post festivities and finished the party albeit too loudly. Security had to remind me to quiet down at 3am. I like this hotel quite alot because you hardly notice the staff until you are passing by the front desk. My request for a refrigerator was honored and my room was on the 9th floor facing the street. I loved it. The quiet atmosphere in the lobby was improved by the Delta Sorority staying that weekend.

Room Tip: Any room with a view
3  Thank BlackBear54
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My brother, his wife and I all met here for a short family get together- it was fabulous! The location is unbelivable, very close to everything, or a short cab drive away- the staff are all very nice and rooms are great- excellent choice!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I purchased two nights at the Washington Court Hotel from Groupon. The hotel was very nice and located in a very nice area. It was amazing that as soon as we stepped out of the hotel we could see the Capitol Building. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. It was a very pleasant stay. We had the privilege of meeting Anthony at the concierge desk who was extremely helpful with suggestions on where to eat and how to maneuver the Metro which was only two blocks away @ Union Station . He provided us with a map of the "Mall" which is where all of the museums and monuments were. There are plenty of fast food grabs inside of Union Station..it really was a great location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family