“high quality and good value”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #93 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel is pretty swanky, staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are well appointed, and the beds are comfortable. I did not try the restaurant in the lobby. It's located close to Capitol Hill, which likely accounts for the high prices. I would stay here again for business but it's expensive.

1  Thank scrappy56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a really good hotel, but as above it really does need to sort out its wi-fi to compete going forward. The lobby and bar areas are excellent, the bar staff are very good and generally its a very welcoming area. Our room was spacious and clean, with a big, impressive bathroom. This was the last leg of a multi city trip and definitely the best hotel we stayed in, but as above it really does need to sort out the wi-fi and make it more powerful and free in the bedrooms (it is currently free in the lobby area - although very weak - but there is a charge of c. 15 USD a day per for wi-fi in the rooms). The location is great and just a few minutes walk from The Capitol and Union Square station. The doormen were probably the most impressive staff we encountered - really cheerful, helpful and professional and a real credit to the hotel. Overall a very good experience and I would definitely stay again if in Washington, as long as the Wi-Fi is sorted out (just in case I haven't made that clear enough already!!).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HelenMarch66
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have very mixed feelings about my stay at the Washington Court. The staff were all impeccable in their gracious service. In fact, I would say they were the most outstanding group of hotel service staff that I have ever encountered. Another positive is that my room was just beautiful and the bed & pillows the most comfortable I have ever slept on. I even looked at the tags on the pillows to see the brand so that I can buy them for home. I was really sad to leave for these two reasons. However, I stayed at the WC for a conference for work. I am recommending that the organization choose a different hotel next time for one reason alone: the lack of internet access. The conference rooms HAD ZERO ACCESS to the hotel WIFI. What?! Really?! This greatly limited my ability to do necessary work for participating in the conference and for taking care of other business. Additionally, the charges for WIFI in the rooms and to even use the "Business Center" were outrageous. For how much I spent to stay at the hotel & how much my organization spent to use the conference facilities - I found this to be ludicrous & incredibly poor customer service. I would have rated this hotel a 5 if not for this one very dissatisfying aspect. And the towels were "crunchy." Invest in a little fabric softener, please.

3  Thank Erin B
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a nice hotel with a good location. It is walking distance to Union Station. We stayed in room 1601 and had a great view of the Capitol.

My minor complaints are that the pillows are very big and fluffy. My husband and I prefer a thinner pillow. These raised our head up higher from the mattress. In the future I would ask for different pillows. Just a personal preference.

There is free wifi but it is only in the lobby.

There is free coffee outside the dining room, but I thought it was not very good. Again my personal opinion.

There is only valet parking at approx. $32 per day.

Otherwise it is a lovely hotel with nice rooms, therefore, I would stay there again.

1  Thank frugalmamma
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Washington Court Hotel. We had actually stayed in another hotel prior for two days for a wedding and changed to the Washington Court to save some money. We got an amazing deal for the hotel and couldn't have been happier. We had stayed at a hotel in Georgetown prior and that was over twice the price per day. We changed hotels early and arrived at 9am, the valet and door persons were friendly and joked with us since we were wearing Redskins colors as we were going to head to the game that day. The front desk staff was able to accommodate us that early and get us into what they told us was a "queen" room. We ended up with a room on the 12th floor with a great view of the Capital building and a king sized bed. The room was clean and bed was comfortable (especially after standing at the football game all day). It was super close to the Union Station metro. Yes the hotel is older but it is quite nice and clean. But this is an excellent hotel especially since we had stayed at one of the "higher" end hotels in Georgetown for two days and this one was just as good and more affordable. My only complaint is that you can hear the door slam if your neighbor doesn't shut it nicely, which was our problem. We had a neighbor that probably went in and out of their room at least 5 times in a 15 minute period, but after that it was fine and we weren't sleeping yet. If you're looking for 5-star then this isn't your place, but if you're looking for a nice place to stay while site seeing all day and a comfy bed to sleep in then this is perfect. Also, there is a Starbucks located right across the street and a nice little shop selling waters/sodas/etc right in the lobby. Definitely would recommend this hotel to people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzKim
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed there in August 2013 for two nights, forgot to pack one sweater shirt. My daughter was procrastinating to pick it up. We were in DC last weekend, and I called them to pick it up because our hotel was near by. They still had it and found it quickly. Good service.

The hotel is pleasant, we didn't really need much service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The staff is very welcoming, smiling, and helpful. And the bed, pillows, and linens are dreamy. Spotless, quiet room, great water pressure shower, direct views of the Capitol Bldg, not far from Metro stop at Union Station. Free coffee available to take-out. What could be better?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family