“Good but not amazing”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #93 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is good, but they could work on a few things to make it better. For starters, when I entered my room, the toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, etc.) were used and only half full. Next, the fitness center could be updated and expanded--even with only three or four people in the fitness center, it was super crowded. Otherwise, the rooms were clean and nice and a good hotel that could use some updates.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I liked this hotel. It was nice and clean, not a ton of frills, and the price was great! I used to live in DC and I booked the hotel last minute, so I was glad to get a good price. I had taken the train into town, and for a trip like mine, the location was perfect. If you are going to DC as a tourist and would like to sightsee, go to nice restaurants, and get around easily, I would recommend staying closer to Dupont Circle.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Elsaheff
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I found this hotel on the internet and booked it through a company I had not used before. Feeling insecure I emailed the hotel directly. I was fortunate that Adam from the hotel emailed me back and a few emails about Washington sites followed. As Washington was only a few nights stay before going to Chicago I had not thought too much about it at all. I had already been in New York for 2 weeks so Washington was an after thought in my planning. After Adams emails I was excited about seeing this city. The position of the hotel was perfect in Capitol Hill. Short walk to Union Station and also the hop on hop off bus. The room and amenities were excellent, staff friendly and supportive. I was on my own and at no time did I not feel safe. I thoroughly enjoyed Washington which was unexpected. Thank you Adam the drum circle and Ford theatre were as good as you said.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks straight at the Capitol Building. Night view great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dawn E
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel is pretty swanky, staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are well appointed, and the beds are comfortable. I did not try the restaurant in the lobby. It's located close to Capitol Hill, which likely accounts for the high prices. I would stay here again for business but it's expensive.

1  Thank scrappy56
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a really good hotel, but as above it really does need to sort out its wi-fi to compete going forward. The lobby and bar areas are excellent, the bar staff are very good and generally its a very welcoming area. Our room was spacious and clean, with a big, impressive bathroom. This was the last leg of a multi city trip and definitely the best hotel we stayed in, but as above it really does need to sort out the wi-fi and make it more powerful and free in the bedrooms (it is currently free in the lobby area - although very weak - but there is a charge of c. 15 USD a day per for wi-fi in the rooms). The location is great and just a few minutes walk from The Capitol and Union Square station. The doormen were probably the most impressive staff we encountered - really cheerful, helpful and professional and a real credit to the hotel. Overall a very good experience and I would definitely stay again if in Washington, as long as the Wi-Fi is sorted out (just in case I haven't made that clear enough already!!).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HelenMarch66
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have very mixed feelings about my stay at the Washington Court. The staff were all impeccable in their gracious service. In fact, I would say they were the most outstanding group of hotel service staff that I have ever encountered. Another positive is that my room was just beautiful and the bed & pillows the most comfortable I have ever slept on. I even looked at the tags on the pillows to see the brand so that I can buy them for home. I was really sad to leave for these two reasons. However, I stayed at the WC for a conference for work. I am recommending that the organization choose a different hotel next time for one reason alone: the lack of internet access. The conference rooms HAD ZERO ACCESS to the hotel WIFI. What?! Really?! This greatly limited my ability to do necessary work for participating in the conference and for taking care of other business. Additionally, the charges for WIFI in the rooms and to even use the "Business Center" were outrageous. For how much I spent to stay at the hotel & how much my organization spent to use the conference facilities - I found this to be ludicrous & incredibly poor customer service. I would have rated this hotel a 5 if not for this one very dissatisfying aspect. And the towels were "crunchy." Invest in a little fabric softener, please.

3  Thank Erin B
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a nice hotel with a good location. It is walking distance to Union Station. We stayed in room 1601 and had a great view of the Capitol.

My minor complaints are that the pillows are very big and fluffy. My husband and I prefer a thinner pillow. These raised our head up higher from the mattress. In the future I would ask for different pillows. Just a personal preference.

There is free wifi but it is only in the lobby.

There is free coffee outside the dining room, but I thought it was not very good. Again my personal opinion.

There is only valet parking at approx. $32 per day.

Otherwise it is a lovely hotel with nice rooms, therefore, I would stay there again.

1  Thank frugalmamma