“Great Deal”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Booked this hotel for the price and was not disappointed. Of course you could pick at things but overall, it was a pleasant stay. I take my reviews to heart for what they provide, I don't expect anyone to tuck me in or 5 star treatment when I'm getting a good deal and so on. The pros of the hotel for sure blow away any cons. At first dealings, the attempt for early check in didn't happen because of housekeeping needing to turn over the rooms but the porters were accommodating in holding our luggage while we started our adventures. The front desk was very nice and helpful. Michael, the bartender at the in-house bar was very good with recommendations and where to avoid for St Paddys weekend/day. Cleanliness was great. We came a day before a snow storm, the one knock on the room was the in room thermostat didn't seem to lower when the room was plenty warm. Also, we initially started with a room facing NJ ave, caution: fire trucks/ambulances will sound the alarm from the firehouse less than a block away, if you're trying to sleep in and the porters use their whistles to call for cabs- you're gonna have an early morning. That was quickly fixed when we asked the front desk to move rooms, had a new one that afternoon on the inside. Hotel is walking distance from Union Station which takes you anywhere you wanna go on the Metro. Starbucks right across the street. Out and to the left a few blocks is the corner of the Mall and from there all the sites. There is a walmart down the street if you forget or need anything. Always a taxi outside waiting, if not just wait a few seconds and the awesome porters will hail one for you. For us, we walk almost everywhere, after Day 2 we were beat and started taking taxis to the White House and for dinner, next time I'd probably go with a closer hotel in the middle of everything but I have no complaints regarding Washington Court. Great hotel, friendly staff, great porters.

Room Tip: less noise, ask for a room on the inside- view will look at offices but for extra silence its worth...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We go to DC often, and sorry to say, this was our first stay at the Washington Court, but it will not be our last!
Service was great and cleanliness was tops. I believe the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed ever.
The hotel is conveniently located to Union Station, the Capitol, superb restaurants, and more. You will not be disappointed in this hotel. It is spacious and beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Lois K
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Not the first time staying at the Washington Court. Her bones may be aging, but the owners make sure her make up is fresh and her smile is on her face. The staff this year were particularly nice and accommodating. We arrived early and the rooms for our group were not clean yet, but the bellmen efficiently place our luggage in storage and it was off to lunch. I had an appointment on the Hill, so I broke off from our group and headed back at the hotel to change clothes. So I could change from the traveling jeans, the front desk clerk gave me a key card to a non sleeping space on the third floor where I could go and change and even took my 1/2 sandwich left over from lunch and put it in the refrig the employees used behind the desk to hold it for me. The little that I had a chance to stay in the room was a very good experience. It was neat, clean, well appointed, and so was the bath....even through they had wall plates covering up things of the days that used to be when I first started staying there. They do have a morning buffet in their restaurant on the first floor, but I came out better just ordering eggs and bacon ala carte. I don't know where their hens are from, but if you order one egg you get a big portion and if you order two scrambled it will fill your plate. The gentlemen of the wait staff were excellent. Would I stay there again...You Bet!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank buzzrome
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This hotel has a great location. Walking distance from the train station and to the Capital and mall, Ford's Theatre, and more. Staff was friendly and helpful, especially the doormen. They can really help you out with directions or any other questions you may have. The only drawback is that they don't have a pool. That would have been great after a long day of walking to see the sites. Overall, you can't beat the location for the price. Perfect for a family trip to DC.

Room Tip: Personally I don't see the added value of getting a room with a view of the Capital. Step out th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank theRiddick
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My son and I were in DC in January for four nights. Our trip's big event was near Capitol Hill and headquartered out of the Capitol Hyatt a half block down. Having stayed at the Hyatt for this same event a few years back, I thought we'd try a smaller hotel in same convenient area (walking distance to Union Station, Capitol Hill). I am soooooo happy we ended up at Washington Court! While the Hyatt had been 'okay', the Washington Court put it to shame. Our room was clean, modern, quiet, and the top floor we stayed on had a great view of the Capitol Building in the picture window a the end of the hall. But what really set this place apart was the staff and the comfortable feeling you had walking through its doors. This is a boutique hotel and priced well under what it's worth. And if you love a good breakfast as much as we do, please don't miss the breakfast offered at their restaurant. The blueberry pancakes were the best I've ever had and the service was impeccable. I wish we would have eaten a dinner meal there.....ahhh, next time for sure!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank MoranTravels
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Washington Court Hotel on three different weekends and find it an excellent location + very nice hotel. It is very close to all Capitol Hill tourist sites like the Capitol Bldg, Senate, House, Supreme Court, etc--, VERY close (1 block) to Union Station for anyone taking the train to DC, and one block to the DC Metro plus lots of buses at Union Station as well. Rooms are very nice, clean, with big bathrooms. The hotel has a wonderful super high ceiling lobby that is airy and bright and excellent for sitting/meeting/having a drink/etc. Weekend prices are very reasonable. We have only stayed here on weekends so cannot comment on pricing during the week which would be a busier time at the hotel, and I assume higher priced. Overall, we liked the hotel very much and will stay here again. .....PS - there is a Starbucks right across the street from the hotel, and very good food court and restaurants in Union Station (1 block away).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank NewYorkCity13
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just spent 6 nights at the Washington Court Hotel for a national conference. Before the snowstorm hit DC, I was impressed with the service from the hotel staff and the comfortable rooms.
After the snow storm hit I was deeply impressed with the care and dedication of the staff to help me after I was delayed from leaving DC for two days. The night of the storm, Staff spent the night at the hotel and worked double shifts the next morning to make sure everything was covered. Being the only restaurant open in a couple block radius, the restaurant staff was slammed for hours, yet still took the time to ask about my canceled trip and if I needed anything.
The front desk was helpful and kept positive, even though they were being a bit harassed by disgruntled guests.
The location, service and comfort of this hotel will keep me coming back, but I will always be grateful for their staff for taking care of me while I was traveling solo and snowed in, in a big unknown city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business