“do not stay to this old and dirty hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Athens, Greece
“do not stay to this old and dirty hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked this hotel through hotwire expecting for a 4 star accomodation. This is not even a 3 stars one.perhaps it was 3 stars 15 years ago,but now it is soooo dated and it seams! The reception was terrible,but wait till you get into your room! We were initially given a room on the fifth floor that was totally dirt.bathroom dirt,both towels, wall and sink! Sheets dirty, dust everywhere, a disaster. We were then moved to the 15th floor, still sooo dirty. The next day and following the housekeeping lady finished cleaning, we found paper in the bathroom,pillows on the floor...never again!

Room Tip: Try another one on the same location
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Yotini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We booked the Washington Court because of the proximity to Union Station. My train was late and I ended up walking to the hotel after midnight. I don't recommend that, by the way, for women in the middle of the night, even though it's a short walk. The receptionist was very pleasant, took a long time and talked a lot about how dogs are allowed in the hotel, so I shouldn't be surprised if I saw one (ok). I had booked a king room and, by the time I got to the hotel, they didn't seem to have one, so I took a queen. The room was down a long hall on the 9th floor. The view was to the center area of the hotel. The furniture was worn, the rug was thin and I could feel cords and wires through it when I walked around in my bare feet. The room was quiet, but I got a 7 a.m. wake up call I didn't ask for (my meeting was at 11 and I wanted to sleep in.) There was no conditioner in the bathroom and the cleaning people walked in on me twice--the first time about 8:30 a.m., apparently thinking I had left, and the second time when I accidentally had the "service room" rather than "do not disturb" sign on the door. The latter issue was my fault, but both times there was no apology and the response was rather curt. On check out, I returned to the desk to get a final bill, handed the woman my room keys, said "I'd like to check out." The woman behind the desk stared at me blankly after taking the key. I said, "may I have a receipt?" and her response was, "didn't they slip one under your door?." I explained they did but I needed a new copy after ordering room service. There was nothing glaringly wrong here, but it was not great. All the little things added up. The bill for the room with tax was over $300 and I really felt I did not get my money's worth. This was at the level of an economy hotel, at least my room and the service I had were. The public spaces were much higher end than the room and bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view. The location is great and you don't want to be staring at other hotel wind...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elizabeth W
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Washington Court Hotel. The location is perfect--close to Union Station and the Capitol building. Beautiful lobby, clean and well-maintained rooms, very helpful and friendly staff. I highly recommend this hotel to business travelers or those who want to be in the heart of DC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank michelegonzalez
Eureka, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

A beautiful hotel that was affordable for our sister trip to DC! Close to Union Station to meet guided tours. The staff was very personable especially the door men and wait staff for the restaurant. The room was spacious with a comfortable bed. We had a corner room which was very quiet. Stronger recommended and planning a total family trip in two years!

Room Tip: Corner room is quiet!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Fredonia, Ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel has an extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff. The location is superior for getting around. If you feel like walking, you are within an easy distance of the National Mall. It is also very close to Union Station and many good restaurants. There is a fee for internet in your room; however, there is free WiFi in the lobby. We considered the $46/day charge for parking to be excessive, but otherwise thought the hotel was excellent. Our room was large and very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Donnasdreams
Clitheroe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We were flying from the UK to meet friends from Arkansas in DC - they booked nearly a year ago and we booked just 8 weeks before we were scheduled to meet and am I glad I waited it out. If we had booked in 2013 there is no way we could have afforded such a fabulous hotel - our friends went for a run of the mill "one of these in every city" hotel - you know where to find the bar etc, they all look the same. We got the Washington Court - a one off in one of the best locations. We got allocated a room on the 15th floor - if I had of been offer something lower than floor 10 I would have requested a change (it's a devil to get the lift to stop and have room on those lower floors plus it's peaceful even in a city). Imagine our surprise when we get out of the lift (glass - always impressive) and go to our room when we see a beautiful view of the Capital - the builders knew a thing or two when they put a window in the corridor at that spot. Our friends in the "you know the name" hotel had a view of a VERY close office block even though they had been under the impression that they would be able to see The White House (I don't think any hotel has that view?). Our room, 1504, was large airy and beautifully decorated - the bathroom was big enough to have friends round! The bed and linen was top notch - somewhat strange idea of using a sheet as a duvet (comforter) cover but the bed was made everyday and I didn't have to worry about how they managed it. We ate in the hotel just once in 7 nights (sorry we were busy each day and ate on the hoof many times) - it was fine, somewhat strange from the US, felt it could have been France not DC, I always assume meals in the US come with fries and to get a steak served with brussel sprouts was somewhat weird. It was a tad on the expensive side but not too bad - the wine was advertised as a US wine (we try to drink local when away) but was actually from Argentina or Chile but bottled in the US - don't think that counts - they bottle wine from Australia in Norwich but that doesn't make it
Norfolk wine. Overall a wonderful hotel which we will return to. By the way watch Philomena once you have booked this hotel - I will say no more.

Room Tip: Go high - it will be quieter - mind you there is little noise in this area anyway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindsD53
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My family just stayed at the Washington Court Hotel and we could not have been more pleased! We loved it's location, so easy to walk to the National Mall and other popular sites in town. The rooms were lovely. They were clean, quiet and comfortable. Everything I like in a hotel room. The restaurant in the lobby was convenient and pretty good as well.

Stayed April 2014