“Looks great, nice location, but where's the sleep?”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 December 2008

The two primary qualities I look for in a hotel are cleanliness and quietness. Overall the cleanliness of the hotel was good; however there were several hairs on my bed sheets upon my arrival.

Most importantly to me is the issue of quietness, after all, I am their primarily to sleep. This is where the property failed miserably. The doors to the rooms are not equipped so that they shut softly, but rather when they do close they are VERY loud. I was awakened each night between 12:00 midnight and 1:00 am, and again in the mornings around 5:00 am to 6:00 am, by room doors along our hallway being closed. This was totally unacceptable.

In addition, the walls in our room which bordered other rooms allowed a great deal of sound to come through. I could hear our neighbor's televisions and hear them speaking, all over the sound of the television in my room. They might as well have been standing in my room.

Overall, I like the look of the property and the staff. However, I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend this property to anyone (at any price), as I got very little sleep due to the sound issues.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Big_Lou_Too
There are newer reviews for Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Reviewed 12 November 2008

My family and I stayed at the Washington Court when my husband and I ran the Marine Corp Marathon. Overall, it fit the bill. The hotels were very expensive in D.C. for this weekend, and we were able to secure a room at the Washington Court for just $125 a night on Priceline. The hotel has a lovely lobby and the rooms were very comfortable. I would say that they are showing some wear and tear, but nothing signicant. The bed was comfortable and the room/hotel were quiet. My only complaint is that it took the valet 15-20 minutes to get our rental car - too long, especially when you are paying $30 a day!!! The location is fantastic - just down the street from the Capitol, only blocks from Union Station, and right across the street from a Starbucks! Just around the corner from the hotel is a nice little Irish pub, the Dubliner. I would recommend grabbing dinner and a pint at this place! Overall, I would recommend staying at the Washington Court!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2008

I stayed at the Washington Court for a large conference from October 24 - 28. Because of the conference hotel rooms were at a major premium, so I ended up paying around $1200 for a four-night stay. I'm generally a budget traveler, so I was expecting a good experience given the money I was forking out.

The hotel is catered to business travelers - I saw few families or children during my stay. Check-in was quick and efficient, and the doormen were very friendly and helpful. The room was reasonably sized but because I got a room facing the street it was noisier than I would have otherwise liked in the evening. The hotel also sits right next to the fire department so light sleepers facing the street will probably get awoken by the blaring sirens every so often. I used earplugs and managed to sleep OK.

Room was reasonably appointed and furniture was well-spaced. Bathroom was big and spacious. Major problem was the bed - I thought that it was comfortable until I started getting poked and pricked by the feathers in the mattress and pillows! I was typically so tired each evening that I fell asleep instantly but I woke up a couple of mornings with little nicks and scratches from having rolled around on these sharp feathers. Absolutely ridiculous.

Only ate at the restaurant for breakfast - service was mediocre and I ended up ordering the buffet each morning because it took too long to actually be served. Used the fitness area a couple of times (no sauna or hot tub), and the room is small but well-equipped with weights and machines. I have to echo the sentiments of those who have written about the ridiculous practice of being charged for internet access. $10/day for slow wireless internet when I'm paying ~$300/day for the room strikes me as crazy and a pure cash grab.

Plus is location - it is around a five minute walk from Union Station where there are plenty of decent restaurants and quick access to the Metro and the rest of the city. It's also close to downtown and if you're not in a rush it is easy to walk to the Convention Center and other centrally-located places. There are a number of nice restaurants in the Capitol Hill area within walking distance.

Overall, it would have been a marginal stay had I paid ~$100/night, but for the price I paid there's no way that I would choose this hotel again. Beware!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I spent election week at the Washington Court Hotel and had a fairly nice stay. Check-in was handled quickly and I found the entire staff to be polite and helpful. My room was average size, but well appointed and clean. As advertised, the bathroom was the highlight of the guest room, large and tiled with Italian marble. The Tarocco toiletries provided by the hotel were a pleasant surprise, my wife loved the spanish orange (Blood Orange) infused soap and body lotion! The property also boosts what may be the best appointed gym I've found in a business style hotel. Several treadmills, elipticals, stationary bikes, numerous Cybex machines and free weights provide workout opportunities for everyone regardless of their individual fitness level.
For all of the highlights this property has the biggest shortfall is having to pay for Wi'Fi access. In a time when McDonalds and White Castle are providing this service free of charge it's unexcusable for a supposedly "upscale hotel" to be charging its guest $9.95/day for wireless service. Despite all the good things I said about this property initially, this one fault will prevent me from staying here my next visit. There's simply no reason to be charged for wireless access in todays competitive hotel market!
It's a nice hotel, but for the price I recommend one of the newer, better appointed property located in the immediate area!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Great location! A couple of blocks from the Union Station subway, so getting anywhere around town is simple. I recommend getting a day or week pass for the subway - easy on - easy off. Simple to navigate, but you can get a little turned around coming out of the stations. Union Station also has a variety of restaurants at different price points and styles, so you have many options nearby. The capitol is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. Chinatown is about a 15 minutes walk, although you can get there on the subway from Union Station.
The hotel itself was okay. Nice, definitely not a luxury hotel, but not a pay-by-the-hour type of place, either. It was reasonably clean, but we had some pretty icky mildew / mold in some of the lower crevices of the shower and tub area. The room was nice, but tired-looking. Yummy scents on the soaps and shampoos. We were an interior room, overlooking the atrium - no view at all. It was quiet enough, except for an occaisional rude slam in the hall. Front desk were nice, but didn't necessarily inspire confidence in their knowledge of the immediate area and its amenities. Morning doorman was great - always had a smile and cheerful greeting. Some renovation work was being done, but nothing that got in the way or was annoying.
I'd pass on the restaurant. We came in during the breafsat / lunch changeover, and the service was lacking. 5 minutes for a cup of coffee, pancakes came quickly, but the one (1) egg I ordered came 10 minutes after the pancakes and were still runny, so they were sent back. It took another 10 minutes for the replacement eggs, and they weren't much of an improvement. We barely got a grunt from the waitstaff. The food was okay, but not worth the prices they were asking. I think we could have done better elsewhere - maybe in one of the museum cafes.
Overall, we got a great deal through Priceline on the hotel plus flight, making the room about 125 a night - much less than the 200 I was seeing for the room alone. Had I paid more than what I did, I would have felt like I paid too much. As it was, the room was clean (enough), the location couldn't have been better if I tried, and the price matched my expectations.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a convention and I was pleasantly surprised. My room was extremely spacious and comfortable and clean....Very well lit bathroom (important for us women). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2008

This place was great. Both my son and I loved it. The location is close to Union Station which is great since a lot of the tour busses are picked up there. The front desk was very professional. The hotel lobby was very clean and attractive. The room was very nice and clean as well. The only downside was the bathroom. There was some mold on the walls and paint peeling. Other than that we were very happy with everything we had. Especially thank you to the bartender at the bar that filled our empty 2 liter bottles full of cold water. A tip, don't wander the streets around the area at night.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family