“World Class Hotel”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here before but what really struck me this time is their consistency. You always know what to expect. Unlike airlines, who used to have good service but now are more like buses, the Willard has stuck by its core values and continues to provide excellent services. Luggage is still brought to your room, there aren't signs asking you to reuse your towels, when you enter the building there are people there opening the door and welcoming you inside.... There are always different activities going on to entertain you or you can just relax in one of their many comfortable seats and enjoy the beauty of the hotel itself, however you choose you will enjoy your visit here!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,286)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel was fine in my three day stay in late October.

But the folks in the valet garage creased my new car down there. What did they do, you ask? They told me about it immediately even though I might not have seen it. They put me in touch with their insurance people who promptly paid for repair of the damage.

The contract parking firm is Laz Parking; nice job, Laz!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Wow what a difference a few years makes. Last time I went to a tea at the Willard during the Christmas season we sat in Peacock Alley and feasted on a wonderful selection of sandwiches and treats for tea--ending with a chocolate carved minature sleigh. This year no tea in Peacock Alley we were seated in the Nest with low ceilings so it was LOUD, we could barely hear each other. We were served stale uninspired sandwiches and bagged tea. Go to the Ritz Tyson's instead!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank lv2tvl77
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental. I apologize that your afternoon tea experience was less than favorable compared to previous years. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. We hope to be able to greet you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Willard Hotel several times and can say it is one of Washington's finest. While there are other luxury hotels, the Willard excels in comfort, service and location. This time we had a large king room with a beautiful view of the city and National Mall. The hotel is elegant and the staff helpful and friendly. Other reasons to stay at the Willard: the Parc restaurant attached to the Willard serves an excellent breakfast buffet; the Old Ebbit Grill is a half block walk and one of Washington's favorites; a short walk down Pennsylvania Avenue brings you to Paul Bakery for excellent French style sandwiches and tasty treats. Paul Bakery's onion soup rivals the best Paris has to offer at half the price.

More reasons to stay at the Willard. It is close to everything you might want to see in Washington; stay out of the Metro, stay out of taxis, stay at the Willard.

Room Tip: Ask for a king deluxe with a view. Check weekends for better rates.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcella Z

Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental and your kindness with this review. I am pleased to hear that we continue to meet you and your husband’s expectations. Gaining loyal customers such as you is what we strive for. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I loved the Willard DC , very nice hotel clean helpful staff location to shopping and attraction like White House , taxi always around you , great breakfast , big bus next to the hotel one step away ,

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Zezekhalil

Thank you for recommending the Willard InterContinental Hotel. We are very fortunate to be placed in such a prime location and are delighted that you felt the same way. I'm happy that we were able to get your mornings off to a great start with a hearty breakfast and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We just retuned from an amazing visit at the Willard. Thanks to Mr. Almutairai, the Guest Relations Manager our stay was excellent! He truly should be commended for the efforts that he puts forth in behalf of his guests! He should be regarded as a most valuable member of the IHG family!
What made this review less than 'excellent' was the inconsistent service provided by the evening housekeeping staff...not offering consistent thorough care to what needed to be done for the evening turn down service. The day time hoiusekeeping crew was excellent!
Also a bit annoying that the hotel did not yet have the guests folio accounts to review in the room s TV sets. When I checked out the day wer left and paid what my room charges were..this total did not match with the charges that appeated on my CC bill..There was about a $283 incurease in charge. When I called the accounting Dept of the Hotel the day after I checked out, they advised that ' that these were only temporary charges posted in addition to the actual charges incurred daily.' A bit confusing ...at least to me. If the Hotel's policy is to impose additonal supposed interim charges, what would show up on a guests' CCs statement on line, they then should advise their guest of this 'temporary charge and let them know that when the charge will be posted as a debit on the guests credit card, it will match what they agreed to pay upon check out!

Another issue, we were most saddened to see that the Hotel's formal dining room/restaurant no longer exists and now has become a room to be used as a meeting room. More cost effective for the hotel?
A hotel of this stature, needs something more formal than a Cafe Du Parc. which is basically a noisy coffee shop; good for alternative diniing but not as an only dining venue!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank DrJSoCal
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had a three day two night stay at the Willard over the weekend. Overall the stay was very pleasant but some of the details suffered. It’s a long read so I put a summary at the bottom.

One of the reasons we picked the hotel was location and the location is fantastic. It is just a short distance to the major monuments and museums which we find important. We braved the rain and snow and found them to be within walking distance but a short, cheap cab ride would do as well. We did find that there were only a few non-hotel shops and restaurants in the area and a surprising number of those restaurants closed around 9pm even on the weekend.

The lobby was beautiful and had a well decorated tree and gingerbread Capitol building. The Christmas caroling was a nice touch too

The room was well appointed, spacious, and generally clean. We found the bed to be very comfortable. For me the pillows were too soft but that is a personal preference and not something I would hold against any hotel. I do, very much, appreciate the unobtrusive hotel TV menu when we used the TV. Some chains *cough* Hilton *cough* saddle you with slow loading, very annoying Hotel start screens while the Willard drops you right into the Weather Channel and just shows a small menu at the bottom that is easily closed.

The towels were of a slightly longer than average length and very soft. I was a bit surprised that the toilet paper was so cheap though. I’d put it at a Hampton Inn quality level and certainly not up to par with some of the hotels I've stayed at that are in the same class

There was a tiny layer of dust on the headboard and other higher up ledges suggesting that thorough dusting is not an ‘after every guest’ event but more likely a ‘once every one-two weeks’ cleaning. That was the only miss in terms of room cleanliness and not a large one at that.

Hallways were a slightly different story. The room across the hall availed itself to room service frequently and the dishes and glasses remained in the hallway for quite some time. What appeared to be a large dinner order sat in the hall for at least 4.5 hours and a different time a couple of glasses remained in the hall for much longer. Even more disappointing I know the turn down service was being done when the dinner plates were in the hall yet they remained there for several more hours even though at least one hotel staff member knew they were there.

Dinner at the Café du Parc was excellent from a food perspective but lacking from a service perspective. My tap-water glass was never refilled despite having emptied it just as the main course arrived. My wife was not drinking hers so I drained that by ¾ and it was not refilled either. In a very odd situation the table two seats down from us was never fully cleared during our meal despite the occupants leaving between the serving of our appetizer and our main course. Our appetizer plates were cleared and put on this table and were not removed until sometime after we left (I am assuming). I don’t think I have ever seen this practice done before at any restaurant I have been to.

I will note that when a mix-up with my wife’s order occurred they staff was very prompt and apologetic about it. The server apologized, the (I am assuming) Manager came over and apologized offering a salad to eat during the wait (which was appreciated but politely declined) and the expediter came over as soon as it was ready and apologized. Accidents happen and the staff responded very well to it

Service at Breakfast was superb as Roy did a fantastic job: Friendly, attentive, filled my water glass and very helpful. He took the time to tell us about some of the sights and circle them on a map he grabbed for us. He did a stellar job which I asked to be passed along to the manager by the front desk. We found the food to be quite good and enjoyed all 3 of our meals there

I always found the people at the front desk to be attentive, friendly, and helpful. At check in it was noted that we were staying for our anniversary and the pleasant woman said that the hotel had a gift that, if it was not already in our room, it would be shortly. Unfortunately it was never delivered. Now – to be clear I do not and will not ever expect a hotel to do something for a special occasion for free. However, if it is offered the gesture should at least be followed through on

Security at the hotel was a bit surprising. At times there was very nearly an oppressive level of security; security at the doors, at the elevator, at the stairs to the main conference room hallway, wandering the lobby, at every door to the various conference rooms. We had to navigate a security briefing to get the Café on the first morning and then had a security agent stand about 10 feet away from us while we had breakfast in a section with 4 total people eating in it. On a particular occasion we arrived back at the hotel to find the sidewalk, street and entrances around the side and back of the hotel closed off by the police who would not allow us to continue on to our hotel via the most direct sidewalk. Instead we needed to detour over to and down the next block so we could approach from the front of the hotel as that was the only avenue and entrance currently available for ordinary hotel guests. Some may enjoy staying at the same hotel that prominent people visit but it’s something to note for those that don’t arrive in their own motorcade.

Summary:
Overall I wanted to give this hotel a 5 but for the price and class of hotel there were a few too many misses to warrant a 5. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again in the future though.

Pros:
-Location
-General room cleanliness
-Food
-Unobtrusive TV menu
-General level of service
-Towels

Cons:
-Recurring random inattentiveness of service (Not following through on front desk offer, hotel employees not cleaning up room service dishes left in the hallway or on tables at the restaurant, lack of refills at dinner)
-Cheap toilet paper
-Excessive level of security which may lead to hotel access restrictions

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Matt B