“Yes, it's a great hotel...”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Yes, it's a great hotel...”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Start with location: Amazing--might as well be AT the White House. Wonderfully helpful and polite staff gorgeous lobby, with NYT, WSJ, Financial Times, USA Today and the Wash Post stacked on a table....large rooms, comfortable beds, very nice bathroom amenities (even a scale!) HUGE flat screen TV, Multiple HBO channels...K cup coffee makers, yadda yadda yadda...Love this place. And I will top it off: on my way to the Willard, a button popped off my overcoat. I asked them for help when I checked... ten minutes later they were knocking on my door with the button sewn on, no charge. WIllard: you have my business!

Room Tip: You can at least ask for something with a view of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you want a unique view while you enjoy an $18 drink then this is the place. The rooftop terrace bar features amazing views of the White House, the Potomac and beyond. It was even great in March with the place wrapped tightly in plastic.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TK2012114
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This lovely, historic hotel has been on my list of places I'd like to stay for quite some time. Weekend rates and a special occasion made it my hotel of choice this time. Service was outstanding. Michael at reception was especially hospitable and congratulated my son on his officer commission. When I mentioned my interest in the hotel, a history pamphlet was provided. When my husband arrived later, Michael met him in the lobby with a key and greeting. Rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Extra points for the makeup mirror in the bathroom and the great selection of K-cups for the personal Keurig machine. (My pet peeve is an expensive hotel that won't provide a coffee maker to force sales at their restaurants). The one and only negative was pillow quality -- they are hard and not comfy. And I'm not pillow sensitive.

This is a fabulous location. You're surrounded by monuments, excellent restaurants, walking distance to the White House and other top draws. Add fabulous service and gorgeous rooms and you just can't go wrong with the Willard. We loved our stay

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kaye S
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 February 2014

What a delight from the moment Ali at valet opened my car door until George the doorman kindly sent me on my way on a DC snowy day.

The staff at this property are fully committed to every guest. I watched as the service team outside (in the freezing cold) and at reception team all made every person feel incredibly special. My room was well decorated, equipped with everything a business traveller needs and the room service menu was healthy. I ordered the risotto for dinner (a gluten free option) and was delighted it was delicious (as a regular road warrior I don't often expect the food to be as yummy as it was).

I recommend this property for the location, the service, the pricing and the old world, historic perspective.

1 Thank Neen J
London, UK
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Hotel is well situated for work/conference folks and has good quality rooms (pillows are terrible). Their staff are friendly although somewhat incompetent (concierge folk in particular) and the atmosphere is staid, dated and a bit too old (in a bad way).

2 Thank terrymlon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Tarek M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret the pillows in your room and the atmosphere prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are glad to see the high score for Cleanliness and that you found the staff friendly. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I got this room though Priceline and was very pleased with the deal I got. It was roughly $125 per night and I got two rooms for two nights. If one is in town for tourism or White House business, you can't get a better location. Staff was all around excellent. We were there on an exceptionally cold night and the room just wasn't heating up. They immediately sent an engineer who wasn't able to fix the problem and they moved us to a far superior room on the top floor of the hotel. The common areas are grand and impeccably clean. I did not use room service or eat at the hotel so can't comment on that. I did notice that afternoon tea, which looked lovely, was $49 without champagne! But I just can't quite get to five stars here. The bathroom was nice but not anything spectacular.It infuriates me that the luxury hotels still charge for wireless. The minibar has some sort of a system that automatically bills you if you remove an item so no more using the fridge to keep a soda or ice cream cold. The bed didn't blow me away. It was nice enough but not something you say "Oh My God" when you get into it. I know I am being picayune but I have stayed at other five star hotels: Ritz in Maui, Four Seasons in Sydney and several others and this one just wasn't quite there. All of that being said, it is a lovely place in an perfect location and I can't imagine anyone staying here having anything of substance to really complain about. Perhaps I am just exceptionally picky.

Room Tip: I got moved to #1229 after my heat on a lower floor wasn't working well. Couch, chair and very r...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RobertHebron
Geneva
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at the Willard during Thanksgiving week 2013. The hotel is beautiful, old world charm and the best location for seeing the sights and visiting museums (able to walk everywhere from the hotel, even in the cold!). The service was excellent, everyone very professional and friendly. The bar is fantastic for pre dinner drinks. The gym, small but a great workout. Corner Bakery just up the street for breakfast. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family