“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

If you are headed to DC to see monuments, cherry blossoms, the White House, Holocaust Museum, National Aquarium and/or Smithsonian Museums this hotel has the perfect location. The staff go way over and beyond to make your stay comfortable and we were greeted with a smile and a hello by every staff member. The front desk staff was helpful in getting us to our tour destinations and were so happy and accommodating. The hotel itself is beautiful and a wealth of history, being a stones throw, one block to the right out of the front door of the hotel, from the White House that shouldn't be a surprise. The restaurants within the hotel were beautiful and had an interesting selection but were a bit pricey for what we wanted on this trip so we chose from the variety of choices with a wide price range within a few minutes walk from the hotel. I would recommend this hotel highly and will stay again on future visits to DC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank J.S. J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

All I can say is wow

This is an amazing hotel, excellent location just round corner from white house

Staff very good, nothing too much of an issue. Rooms were amazing, traditional but very clean and well organised

Try the round bar out, it's like an old smoking room :)

Valet parking was crazy price but to be expected I guess in centre of Washington

If in Washington again would not hesitate to stay here

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank ballsoutintop
Athens, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Good upper-mid-range hotel for Washington area in a very good location for walking the District.
Staff extremely friendly and professional. Rooms clean and well appointed.
Hotel restaurant convenient, but not a destination in itself - plenty of other really good eating places in all price ranges within a short walk.
Will definitely consider staying here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jim K
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at the Intercontinental Willard for one night during spring break. We booked the Executive Suite with two double beds.

We arrived late at night. Check-in was quick, however, my IHG Platinum status was not acknowledged at all. Unlike other IHG hotels, I was not given the option of points or a welcome amenity. We booked a breakfast package but were not told where or how it could be used. As an IHG Rewards member, internet was free.

The cost of valet parking was expensive at $45 per night. There is no option for self-parking.

The location of the hotel is excellent. The White House is just two blocks away and the National Mall, museum, and monuments are within walking distance.

The Executive Suite was spacious. It compromises of two main rooms: one bedroom and one sitting/dining area. In addition, there were two bathrooms and a smaller room for the coffee machine and mini-fridge. The suite was decorated well with historic and modern features.

Breakfast was great at the Cafe du Parc, in the hotel. The full buffet breakfast was $62.50 for two people, but was taken off the bill at check out since we booked the package.

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel. Platinum benefits and recognition could be improved though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jeffrey L
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Enjoyable and comfortable stay at the Willard overall. However, on our second day, they didn't start cleaning the room until 4:45 p.m. We had been out of the room since before 9:00 a.m. and starting the cleaning so late was a major inconvenience for us as we needed time to get ready for our evening guests. On the plus side the ventilation was very quiet and kept the room at the temperature we chose.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank plasalle
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to the Willard InterContinental. We enjoy building relationships with guests such as you. On behalf of housekeeping, I apologize for the late start in cleaning your room. I hope they at least gave you extra chocolates! I am happy that the temperature stayed at just the right level for you. I apologize for the mishap and hope you will give us a chance for a third stay.

Patrick Birchall
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I must admit, I expected better, it's the Willard after all! We went for the Cherry Blossom afternoon tea, offered on select weekends. $48 per person without champagne.
What disappointed me was the service and lack of attention to detail. At a world renown hotel, I expect attentive service. Unfortunately we experienced incredibly slow service, trust me, I watched the servers for two hours they were never hurried, and lack of attention to the little things that make a good tea service.
Like other reviews have mentioned, you are seated at tables in a dark hallway, which was drafty and chilly today. I realized after today how much more I enjoy rooms with big windows, especially when enjoying a cup of tea. However, I wanted to try afternoon tea at The Willard and decided to take my Mom and sister for a birthday celebration.
There were probably 6-7 others having tea once we were seated. It took about 10 minutes to get three menus, an additional 10 minutes for a server to return to take our selection, then probably an additional 10 minutes to get our tea. We were also given a 3 minute sand timer to use to know when to pour our tea (cute idea) so it wouldn't steep too long and get bitter. (So once you pour your first cup, the remaining tea in the pot WILL be bitter because it will be sitting there steeping. Might as well serve a cup at a time or strain all of the tea at that point.) Our handy 3 minute timer stopped halfway through, not so handy. I mentioned it to our waitress who told us to just shake it. Would have been helpful to know it wasn't reliable when she gave it to us. I know this is a little thing, but if you go through the trouble of giving a customer something to use, make sure it works or else don't give it to them, especially knowing it doesn't work.
After we were done with our first cup of tea, (I had the Cherry Blossom tea which I found to be quite lovely) about 10 min later, our server returned to ask if we wanted cream or milk (and set down the jam/curd tray) 10 min later, really? Should have asked when the tea was served.
Our food was served 20 minutes later. I had confirmed with the hotel the day before some dietary restrictions we had. They were also noted on the table card (good news) but they were not carried out (boo) so some of the food had to go back to be changed out. I thought the food was tasty, though the tiniest tea sandwiches I have ever seen.
Our server did come back half way through eating to see if we needed more hot water. I felt bad asking for new tea altogether, but had to because what was left in my pot was bitter. She was very nice and changed it out.
All the servers were nice. Just not very attentive, and really slow service.
I am glad I went and can cross tea at The Willard off my to-do list, but it won't be something I return for.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Foodie73
Thank you for choosing the Willard for Cherry Blossom Afternoon Tea. I apologize for the slow service and lack of attention to detail that you received. The hospitality industry is a world full of details and none should be missed. Afternoon tea should make you feel relaxed; not agitated. I deeply apologize and hope that you will give us another chance during the winter holidays. Please let me know and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Patrick Birchall
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Willard, a sentimental return following our first eventful visit some 20 years ago. That visit to the Willard was as a result of a Hilton hotel not acknowledging our reservation when we tried to check in (during the convention season - almost all Washington was fully booked except for the Willard who had a spare room ).The very happy memories of that visit have stayed with us over the years & this year was our first opportunity for a revisit during a road trip from Florida to New York. I was concerned that my memories of 20 years ago might have become a little exaggerated, and that we might be disappointed when we got there.

I booked online a few days before our intended arrival and at the same time took up the option to become a member of their Ambassador scheme ( cost $200 ) which offers benefits including an automatic upgrade to the next level ( provided one is available ). When we arrived it was obvious they were aware of my Ambassador membership and allocated us room 610. To say we were shocked when we opened the door(s) is a serious understatement - we were speechless when we saw it - the room was absolutely beautiful and with the best views you could possibly imagine. It would take too long to try & describe the room but to be able to enjoy it for two days was a surreal experience.

The hotel was everything we remembered from our first visit, from the very courteous & knowledgeable staff, to the beautiful and well maintained décor throughout the hotel

This was without doubt the highlight of our four week holiday.

Two people I would like to mention - Lauren on the front desk who was responsible for giving us a once in a lifetime experience, and to Kareen on valet parking who enjoyed practising his English accent whenever he saw us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple