“Tea was lovely”

Ranked #14 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Tea was lovely”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My sister took me to tea at the Willard. It was a lovely experience. Beautiful ambiance, harpist playing in the corner, attentive wait staff. Take my advice; skip the cucumber sandwiches and ask for extra clotted cream and lemon custard to go with the scones. Deeelish. Lovely, but pricey. (I didn't find a way to rate just the tearoom, so I rated the hotel.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KK80439
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend the afternoon at our afternoon tea here at the Willard InterContinental. I’m so happy that you and your sister had a wonderful experience. No need to skip the cucumber sandwiches; you may ask for extra clotted cream and lemon custard anytime! Throughout the different seasons we specialize the menu, décor and music so please come back and visit soon.

Patrick Birchall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
White Mountains
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We loved our stay. We were on a upper floor with a fantastic view. This historic hotel has been beautifully restored and has the best location in Washington

I have just 2 minor complaints. There is no excuse for charging for the Internet. Also the cafe serves average food with poor service. We did enjoy the bar. We had the Park and Stay package.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental Washington, D.C. We are very fortunate to work in such a beautiful, historic building that is located in the heart of the city and are glad you felt the same way. I apologize that some areas of the hotel did not meet your expectations and will address them with the staff. Please sign up for our IHG Rewards program to receive complimentary internet usage. We have created so many great guest experiences and memories at our Cafe du Parc restaurant and therefore I am disappointed we fell below your expectations. We hope to welcome you back to our nation’s capital and the Willard in the near future. Please let me know when you are coming this way to invite you to a luncheon on our open terrace of the cafe.

Montague
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The location, restaurants and lounges, and welcoming reception area are all fabulous. The outdoor cafe on a lovely spring day in DC cannot be beat. The lobby has over the top luxury and finish. The staff are courteous and very helpful. Shout out to the bell staff. Thanks for helping when you might have looked the other way. The room was very nice, not as lux as the lobby, but clearly the Willard invests in the shared space. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom clean and well stocked. I stayed on business and could not experience all the wonderful dining and spa options. Definitely a strong value when all things are considered. I hope to return soon when I have more leisure time and can truly luxuriate in the graciousness and beauty.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Markey2
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for your business and for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental. I am pleased that you had such a pleasant experience while staying with us. The bell staff truly are one of a kind and I’m glad you felt the same way. Our bell captain who has been with us since the reopening of the hotel is also known by some as the "Mayor of Pennsylvania Avenue," always seeking to help our guests as a mayor should be. A leisure trip to D.C. is fabulous with all of the sights to see and of course a much deserved pampering at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa is a must after a long day of venturing around. Food on the terrace of Café du Parc with a view of the monument, a Mint Julep at the Round Robin Bar and a massage to sooth the body and soul sounds like a well deserved break. We look forward to your return.

Michigan
Reviewed 5 May 2014

There is no other word for this hotel. It is pricey, but the proximity to the White House and the people that you may see while staying there makes up for it and makes it the quintessential DC experience. It is walking distance to so many things that you will want to visit while you are in DC that really helps to make up for the cost.

When we stayed here we took advantage of their breakfast each morning and it was excellent. I have been craving the sticky buns they offer ever since my stay here.

The view that we had of the Washington Monument from our window was another reminder that we were in our nation's capital each day when we woke up. We are actually planning a return trip to DC and plan on staying at least one more night at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jencornell
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental and for your kindness with this review. I am glad that our service and location made up for the cost. We truly enjoy building relationships with guests such as you and will have a sticky bun waiting for you on your next return. I am rather addicted to the sticky buns myself and my belt buckle reminds of that; yet with all the amazing walks in the city I have no excuse not to burn them off.

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Got a great last minute deal here on Hotwire for my husband's birthday. Though we did not pay a 5 star price we received over and above 5 start service. This place has the best location and service in DC.Be sure to visit the little history exhibit and get drinks in the bar.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tara P
There are a few times in the year we will launch amazing deals. We are delighted you got to celebrate your husband’s birthday here - please extend my belated wishes to him. We are so fortunate to have so many ties to history that the gallery is small but mighty. We hope this stay will have you choose to stay with us in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Everyone should stay at the Willard at least once when visiting! Truly a grand old hotel. Right by the White House and next to the Treasury Building, the hotel reeks of history. The service was first rate and the room was very large and comfortable.

There is also a Corner Bakery right across the place which proved handy and easy place to east for meals.

Room Tip: Rooms in the corner are best for access to the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental Hotel. We truly appreciate your recommendation and are glad that you found our location to be convenient. Corner Bakery is a nice place; the Café du Parc also has amazing breakfasts and very tasty coffee - please give it a try next time you are in town. We look forward to having you back with us again in the not so distant future.

Cardiff, Wales
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived late at the hotel (10pm approx) and the hotel was fully booked, so the polite and friendly lady at the check-in desk advised us that she would like to upgrade us to one of their more expensive rooms from what we had paid for (this has unfortunately never happened to me before - so was very excited to see my room as you can imagine)

Due to the above I can't comment on the room we paid for or value for money as I don't know how much it would have costed for the room we stayed in, however the room has two double beds, a living/dining area and two bathrooms. It was very clean and nicely decorated, the main bathroom was very large and fearured a separate bath and shower. The beds were very comfortable and we couldn't hear any noise from any other rooms which lead us to have a good nights sleep.

The hotel itself I thought was beautiful, the hotel lobby is quite grand and the decor is quite traditional. I am led to believe the hotel is one of the oldest ones in Washington DC and has lots of history (though I am not from the US and cannot verify this).

the bell boys were very helpful and all the staff at the hotel were friendly but without being intrusive - perfect really.

The hotel has a perfect location, its so easy to walk from here to quite a few of the main Washington DC tourist sites, particularly around the Mall, e.g. the washington monument etc. Its also just around the corner from the W Hotel which has a rooftop bar/good nightlife (but I wouldnt choose to stay there because I still want to be able to sleep when I choose to go back to my room)

check-out was also easy.