“There is no better place to stay in D.C..”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“There is no better place to stay in D.C..”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a family trip that included my 11 year old son. Everyone loved it! The location, beauty, and history alone are worth it. The staff was available anytime we had questions, and were always willing to help. We will stay no where else when we visit Washington D.C..

D.C.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels
Reviewed 19 June 2014

For the sense of history alone, the Willard is well worth a stay (Lincoln, MLK, "lobbyists", etc.). This was my 4th or 5th time staying at the Willard and it simply underlined for me why I choose to come here whenever I can. Stayed for business purposes, didn't have much time so spend around the hotel, but the service as always was exemplary, great fitness center which is important to me. The room itself was a deluxe, very spacious and comfortable, nice and quiet. Round Robin bar is a highlight and each time I'm here I find myself more than happy to eat a light meal in the evenings and enjoy a glass of decent wine and take in the surroundings -- always interesting characters around there! Overall, another great stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hinsdale, IL
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Everything about this hotel is positive The service excellent, the rooms comfortable. We stayed here as part of a tour so don't know about the value. They handled our group of 23 very well. We also enjoyed their breakfast buffet and bar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mimi B
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay at The Willard has been exceptional. The staff goes above and beyond to make the customer happy. Not only is the hotel beautiful, it is within walking distance to the National Mall, the Smithsoniian buildings, and the White House.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental Washington, D.C. and for sharing your feedback. I am happy that you were satisfied with all accommodations as well as service received. hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed at the Willard over the years but unfortunately sense a decline from when the hotel was refurbished in the 80s or 90s. When it reopened, it truly was an elite hotel. My last stay, last weekend, will be my last, however. When we arrived Saturday afternoon at about 5, not only was the room not ready, but I had to stand in line at the reception desk for more than 15 minutes to attempt to check in. They had two clerks and one trainee watching and clearly were not organized to make the check-in process be prompt and efficient. When it was my turn, I was told my room was made up, only awaiting an "inspection," would be ready in 15 to no more than 20 minutes, and that the desk clerk would come find me. 30 minutes later I had to go to the desk and work with another clerk (after standing in line again for the front desk) before getting the keys. And the room -- a suite on the top floor that was supposed to be "very nice and worth the wait" -- has seen better days. Poorly decorated, not up-to-date furniture, a panel into the ceiling and put back in with drywall screws. It is sad to see a grand old dame of a hotel not be kept up in terms of guest service and the quality of the rooms because I like older hotels that keep their character as opposed to newly built hotels. But, as the title suggest, in my view the hotel is no longer the elite hotel it once was.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Marc M
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental Washington, D.C. We apologize that your room was not ready at check-in. I have no doubt that the front desk and housekeeping departments tried their very best to get your room turned over as quickly as possible and apologize for the delay. During our rooms renovation three years ago, our interior designers spent months on the decor; they try their best to maintain the historic charm while keeping up with the present times. I am saddened that your room was below your expectations. We certainly have an enormous array of suites and decor and I am sure that many would appeal to your taste. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to Washington. We would be honored to be given another chance and I will personally handle your reservation and make up for our shortcomings.

Millersville, MD
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I love this place. It has the history and ambiance of an era gone by. From arrival to departure, it is always a warm welcome and a wonderful stay. There are a variety of rooms to stay at and just lovely old world charm as you walk in. We had tea on Peacock Alley and it was so sumptuous. This hotel has easy access to all the sites and sounds of Washington. If you can afford a night or two and love history, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Willard and for your kindness with this review. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy a cup of afternoon tea in Peacock Alley. The last day for afternoon tea is June 22nd but will resume this October. We would be delighted to have you back when we resume tea with our new Fall offerings. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the summer.

Western Springs, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a 9th floor suite (30th Anniversary) with a view of the Washington Monument. The view was gorgeous. The staff, to a person, was welcoming and helpful. The Cafe du Parc for breakfast is a must - I had THE BEST EGGS BENEDICT, ever - freshly made english muffins and Virginia ham....perfect. Walking distance to every attraction, except possibly Arlington Cemetery (we took a cab). Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Willard and for choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion. There is something breathtaking about going to sleep and waking up to a view of the Washington Monument or the “big pencil” as locals like to call it. I am so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings in Café du Parc - we all know the importance of a great breakfast to start off a busy day! We hope to welcome you back soon.