Willard InterContinental Washington
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
JW Marriott Washington, DC(Washington DC)
  • Room Service
W Washington D.C.(Washington DC)
Hotel Harrington(Washington DC)
  • Pool
  • Pool
The Hay-Adams(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Washington(Washington DC)
3,337 results
All reviewscafe du parcthe round robin barpeacock alleywhite housewashington monumentbeautiful hotelclassic hotelroom servicebeautiful lobbyperfect locationnational mallan upgrademini barroom was largeturn down servicetwo blockssmithsonian museums
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am so glad we chose the Willard for our first trip to DC. When we arrived our room was not ready so we waited in the lobby. After about 30 minutes a staffer came to get us to tell us they would be upgrading our room because of the wait. Our room was amazing!! So much history here. There were many dignitaries hanging out with armed bodyguards (my son loved that part). Excellent service throughout our week long stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

With all respect, but the Service at the InterCon The Willard is the worst experience we have ever had at a 5 Star Hotel ever, and we have experienced many!
1) At arrival to the Hotel at 5pm, the highly unfriendly and inexperienced reception staff said: "Your room is not ready yet, will take AT LEAST one more hour!" Excuse, me, but a hotel room not being ready by 5pm combined with such a rubbish statement "at least" is absolutely unacceptable! "At least" could mean also 5 hours...
2) upon strongly complaining about this, another room was made available however the room we got was a weird one. A Junior Suite as booked is to our view a room which should have 2 connected rooms, a lounge room directly connected to a bed room. However the room we got were 2 formerly single rooms combined to one room through a corridor with multiple doors and corners. Totally useless and uncomfortable!
3) luggage service to room took 30 minutes
4) door men totally unfriendly and inactive, no greeting, no door opening and the worst was the way of treating the luggage - no care at all!
5) at check out the next blunder, having had booked the "High Floor" Upgrade Option at 35 USD/night, it was charged to the bill - for recalling, the hotel has 12 floors, our room was at 5th floor... Asking why, the front desk lady said: "technically we consider 5th floor a high floor"... kind of joke, however was taken off the bill swiftly, always good having the impression of rip off attempt prior leaving, fostering the bad memory on the stay...

9  Thank THHU-PP
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

On behalf of the entire staff, please accept my most sincere apologies. I thank you for taking your time to give us such constructive criticism. Your interactions with our hotel staff was below the service standards we are used to delivering. The room configuration not being to your expectation is also unsettling for us, especially as we are fortunate dozens of suites and should have offered you options. I sincerely hope that despite the issues encountered you enjoyed your stay in the US capital as well as the beauty and history of the Willard InterContinental. Please let me know when your travels bring you back this way and I will ensure that your requests are handled before your arrival and have the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to deliver exceptional service.

Most sincerely,

Patrick

Patrick Birchall

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We got a bargain first night through Hotels.com but found this good value overall. Very central and close to all key sites for first timers to Washington. Concierges were great on all occasions we sought their advice, thoughtful and appropriate suggestions.

1  Thank Dorothy_M1313
Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you have never stayed at a 5 star this is it. I was so excited for the ste 1206 I thought the kids would be ok on the sofa couch. I was wrong. I spoke to Joshua at the front desk and he was so helpful with working with me and getting me to 2 queen beds for the week. Thank You Josh. The suite is super clean for being a historical land mark. Bathroom is clean but is a little steamie. For the first time on our west coast to east coast trip we didnt get stared down or frowned on because of being latin.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

There is no doubt that this is a classic, classy 5***** in one of the most convenient locations for visiting DC, and every other time I have been here I have had an immaculate positive experience, but this last time I had a couple of little things that left a lukewarm impression.

This was a nice, one-night romantic trip that made a business partner somewhat jealous and he decided to join us with his spouse, so I decided to use it as an excuse to give him an incentive.
My assistant booked me a Junior Suite, and then booked my partner a Deluxe room using my points.
After that, since he is aware that it is important for the hotel to know which room the Elite member is taking (to grant late check-outs, and send the amenities) and since I was going to be sending anniversary flowers to our room, he emailed the hotel to make sure they had my name on the Suite and my partner's name on the Deluxe.

My partner arrived earlier to the hotel and he was given a nice Deluxe room. Ample, well appointed, high floor.
When we arrived (I didn't see any Elite or Ambassador check-in area, so we waited in line; there always seems to be a line) we were greeted by a very nice, friendly, and enthusiastic lady who explained that we had been upgraded to an Executive Suite, but it was not yet available (we were, as usual, very early), which is fine with us, so we had lunch with my partner and his spouse, and went for a walk.

When we came back later in the evening, the nice lady was gone for the day and a gentleman had taken her place.
Whereas the lady had been possibly the nicest person in all of DC, the gentleman was quite the opposite (OK, not necessarily nasty, but curt, unfriendly, and uninterested in making us feel welcome).
I greeted but didn't get an answer. Was asked for ID and card in one short phrase, then the gentleman disappeared without a word. It was barely for a minute, and I am guessing he went to ask the housekeeping manager if the room was ready? No idea because no explanation was given. No acknowledgement of status, or upgrade, or comment about whether the reservation was paid for or not, or anything. Got handed a key and given directions to the elevator without another word (like username and password for the wifi, or lounge hours, or any interaction), not even a smile. Rather unpleasant, and definitely not a five star service.

The room itself was, indeed, an upgraded Executive Suite. Odd layout, but nice. Large hallway, well appointed, separate bedroom and living-room, two full bathrooms (one of them with separate shower and bathtub, but strangely that bathroom belongs to the living-room area, not to the bedroom area), two full minibars, espresso machine, plenty of towels and bathrobes, two full closets (with each with a safe), work desk in the bedroom, dining area with table and chairs and resting area with sofa and TV in the living-room.
The rooms at The Willard are nothing short of luxurious and I don't think I have ever had a problem with them.

However, upon my arrival I realised that the flowers I had order in advance were not in the room (I did receive an email from the flower store confirming they had been delivered to the concierge) and my Elite Ambassador amenities were not in the room (and I was dying for a bottle of water).
I called Guest Services and they informed me that the flowers and amenities had been sent to the Deluxe room, where my business partner and his spouse were staying (despite having made sure that the names were clear in each room, and the flowers being on my name), so I was left with the choice of the troll: look bad to my own couple (who was indeed expecting flowers and fruit) or look bad to my business partner that had received the items (his spouse loves flowers) and now was going to be robbed of them. Very uncomfortable situation to be in, but my couple comes first (at least in this case).
On they sent someone to my partner's room to retrieve my objects. My partner let me know that they ignored the "Do not disturb" sign and didn't even bother to knock on the door before trying to open (fortunately, my partner had the top latch of the door on).
I have no idea why but apparently three different people went to his room in three separate occasions in the next half hour.
I don't think he'll be back.

Two things I sorely miss in this hotel are a Club Lounge (they definitely have the space for it), and an Elite check-in area (the Front Desk is always too busy).

As I said, despite having been my hotel of choice in DC for the past decade, I didn't have the best of experiences this time.
I will probably come back, because the hotel itself is spectacular, and these seem to be punctual issues that I hope don't happen again.

PS: I forgot to take decent pictures of the room, so I had to retrieve them from a video I recorded instead.

6  Thank DanielKalen