“A little disappointing this time”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #14 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A little disappointing this time”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We came back to our wedding spot 10 years later. Our valet and bellman definitely not pleasant. The front desk Ali made up for all of that with his warm sincere conduct. The room on the second floor comfy but VERY noisy. No hot water in the morning ;( had room service for breakfast efficient and delicious but certainly pricy. So overall I think there are better places to stay in the area but for nostalgic reasons we will probably visit again but not soon.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anonthego
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Anonthego,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guests. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into so our team can take actions accordingly.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here based on location and were very pleased with the services, comfort, and convenience to visit all the nearby sites. Many places to eat nearby, walk to every thing, and relax with a cocktail in the bar.

Room Tip: Higher floors, less noise and potential city view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BurritoBandito
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I'm honestly a little disappointed by my stay at the Willard. It's in a gorgeous building in the heart of DC and has a very special history. The last time I stayed as in 2007, and it was one of the most luxurious hotels I had ever stayed in. I had so much been looking forward to staying here, especially now that it's an Intercontinental, but I think I'll be heading back to my other DC favorites--the Hay Adams and the Loews, both of which have been consistently excellent.

I am on night 2 of a 2-night trip that I booked through my office's travel agency. Last night there was cigarette smoke coming in through the vents of my room. The room itself was starting to look a little warn, needing carpet and wallpaper updates to freshen the place up. The front desk kindly switched rooms for me this afternoon, and I swapped cigarette smoke for a dank, stuffy smell. The new room, though on a higher floor, is similarly feeling a little run down, gets a lot of street noise, and the toilet runs. The wifi in both rooms was very weak, making it challenging to get work done efficiently. The linens are clean and nicely bleached, but nothing special. For a hotel of this caliber, there aren't any of the typical niceties--e.g., complimentary bottles of water, fresh fruit in the lobby, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jbosusa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Jbosusa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that your issues regarding the previous room assigned to you was addressed in a timely manner. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if our hotel fell below your expectations. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Willard for a wedding and will definitely be returning. The history of the hotel is amazing! Very conveniently located to the attractions and the train station. The staff at the hotel couldn't be more accomodating. The room was large, clean and beautifully decorated. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were celebrating my husband's birthday and he has always wanted to stay at the Willard (after having drinks in the Round Robin Bar on our previous trips to DC). For the most part we had a wonderful time at The Willard and loved the historic atmosphere. We had one very major issue (that I will detail below) but first the overall impression. We like to stay in historic hotels and understand the idiosyncraty that comes with older buildings. The Willard has the appearance of a 5 star hotel and there are areas where it suceeds but has several areas where it fails in that effort.

First the good:
I booked a basic king bedded room with the upgraded view of Pennsylvania Avenue. Since it was a special occasion I knew my husband would be very happy to look out over the Washington Monument (instead of looking out over another hotel building or drab courtyard that many reviewers posted about). We were given the room I booked, nothing special for the birthday celebration other than an acknowledgement by the front desk clerk in mentioning “happy birthday” to my husband. But that was fine, we are IHG club members but had no status in that program as we usually stay at Starwood hotels. The clerk did tell me that he had a very nice room on a high floor that he was sure we would like (it was on the 9th floor and did indeed have a nice view). The room wasn't large and only had one chair other than the desk chair but we made do with that. I usually don't accept rooms with connecting doors but since the view was nice I overlooked that (which it turns out was a major mistake). The room decor was nice and seemed recently refurbished.

The front desk clerk was excellent, friendly and professional. He acknowledged our interest in the hotel history by providing brochures of the history, the state logos, and giving us a brief history lesson of the hotel as well. He offered us a choice of daily newspapers to be delivered to our room each morning and told us it was fine to request both the local paper and the NY TImes. Bell staff was friendly and greeted us daily. Housekeeping came at good hours and did a fine job of keeping the room very clean.

The bed was comfortable, robes were waiting in the closet, good closet space and plenty of drawers. Coffee maker (real mugs not paper cups), extra glassware including wine glasses were in the room. Bathroom was not large but that is understandable in historic buildings. Bath toiletries were of good quality.

We had room service for dinner a couple of times, the food was good and service was prompt.

The lobby and common areas of the hotel are beautiful.

The Round Robin Bar never disappoints. Wonderful ambience and the best Mint Juleps!

Now the not so good:

Since we took the Metro in from the airport we arrived on foot with our wheeled luggage. Apparently since we did not arrive at the driveway in a car or taxi we were ignored by the valets and no one offered to help us with our luggage which we had to carry up the front stairs by ourselves.

No slippers in the room, but they were delivered upon request.

Housekeeping was inconsistent on providing amenities, one day coffee wasn't replaced, one day toiletries weren't replaced, one day a wine glass went missing. Several days only one of the requested newspapers was delivered.

Nightly turndown service is by request only and rather underwhelming. Wet towels removed, drapes closed, and two tiny chocolates on the bed. Other historic hotels that we have stayed in always provided some sort of "goodnight card" on the bed with the chocolates. Better 5 star hotels also provided fruit, bottled water, perhaps a daily weather forecast. A little touch of something to make you feel special that The Willard did not do. The InterContinental branding which seemed to dominate rather than the historic Willard brand.

After that experience we did not request turndown again but one night they did it anyway.

Now for the really bad:

The security of our room was compromised by a room service waiter when he used our room as a staging area to serve dinner to the guests in the suite next door (through the connecting door between our bedroom and their suite dining room).

After an evening out we returned to our room around 10 pm, looking forward to relaxing with a bottle of wine. When we got off the elevator we saw the door to our room was unlocked and propped open with the bolt latch. At first we were afraid to enter but then heard sounds of a dinner party in progress. We entered out room and saw a room service waiter with two rolling carts in the middle of our room, the connecting door wide open as he was serving dinner to the guests in the suite dining room. My personal belongings on top of the dresser had been swept aside and he had placed wet glassware in puddles (which damaged one of my photographs that I had on the dresser). There was debris on the carpet (crumbs and paper). Our own glassware had been removed from the room.

We have no idea how long this had been going on or if the connecting door had been left open so that the other guests had access to our room. My husband had left his Mac laptop plugged in on the desk and of course we had all our personal belongings in the room.

We frantically ordered the waiter out of our room, made him lock the connecting door and remove his service supplies. He truly seemed confused that we were making a fuss. Apparently the hotel had not informed him that he was entering the wrong room and compromising our security in doing so.

We quickly assessed that nothing was missing or tampered with and called the front desk to complain. The night manager also seemed perplexed but did apologize and asked if we wanted to move rooms. At that time of night the last thing we wanted to do was spend time packing and relocating. Although we were shaken by the incident and felt our security was violated at that point all we wanted was to relax with a glass of wine, but alas our wine glasses were missing. The manager offered to credit one of our bar charges from the Round Robin and then a bit later offered to send up a bottle of wine and a cheese platter. Finally after a second phone to find out when our wine glasses would be replaced (we already had our own bottle of wine) the manager and a room service attendant showed up at our door. While this was a nice gesture I really thought this type of unbelievable incident should have been acknowledged by some sort of phone call or note from the executive hotel manager the next day or in an email after we returned home but that didn't happen. And I also think some sort of points compensation should have been offered.

I really wanted to love The Willard after the rave reviews I have read. For the past few of years we come to DC in the summers, previously staying the the St. Regis and the JW Marriott. Thiswas our first time at The Willard. I had hoped to make The Willard as our regular destination but after this experience I believe we will try someplace else next time.

Room Tip: Room on the front of hotel on high floor facing the Washington Monument for best view. Do not accept...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank babygoon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear babygoon,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that you found our front desk clerk excellent, friendly and professional, beds comfortable and room exceeded your expectations. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us and if your stay was negatively affected by the issue you have with your room invasion. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were in DC for a weekend and stayed at the Willard for its location. It's right across from the Treasury Dept & literally steps away from the White House, WWII memorial, Washington Monument & Lincoln memorial. It's also located near several highly-rated DC restaurants (Founding Farmers, Old Ebbit Grill, El Chalan etc). We were able to pretty much walk everywhere. We were in room 1122 which was massive in size in comparison to hotels in NYC (where we are from). Everything appeared clean & well-kept. The shower is plumbed incorrectly though as hot water is labeled "C" and cold water "H" which was not a big deal. WIFI is not free which was very disappointing as this is DC and one would expect WIFI to be free, specially for a 5 star luxury hotel charging what they do.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Detroit
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My fourth stay, but the first is several years. If you enjoy grand hotels this certainly qualifies. The bar and restraunts are very good, but the Willard Room which was one of my favorite restraunts anywhere closed a few years ago. This was very disappointing.

The rooms are very quiet but like most hotels it could use some updates, but nothing that will keep me from returning.

One other issue is that in this day and time wi-fi costs $11 per day while holiday inns are free.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends