“Good Hilton”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I am not a big fan of this chain, as they charge extras for everything, internet is not included and I find their hotels often cold and impersonal. However, I have a rather positive impression of this hotel in particular in Washington, DC. There is another hotel which is my favorite in the same price range in this area, but after that one, I do recommend this one.

1  Thank Giovanni_Circella
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thanks for reviewing the Washington Hilton. It's great to know you recommend our hotel and that you find it to be best in class of Hilton options. We look forward to having you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,049)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I'm amazed that after a huge renovation this pricey hotel does not have mini-fridges in the reviews, nor does the fitness centre have a sauna, hot tub or steam room. What did they spend all that money on? Shocked at their rates considering they don't have amenities that are considered basic at even the least expensive hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the review. Our renovation did completely revamp the hotel from the ground up. We are happy to provide mini fridges to our guests upon request. The health club does not have a sauna but does offer many other extras for our guests to enjoy. We hope you'll return on your next visit to DC and allow us to provide you with an excellent value for your stay.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I presented myself at the HHonors check in desk on January 11th at 5 pm with a reservation for an executive floor king bed room. I am HHonors diamond. the reservation was made months ago.
The check in agent (a young lady) asked if I could wait since no rooms were available. I replied that it was already late, past the check in time, and that I needed a shower after my overseas flight. I then asked if no upgrade rooms were available to accomodate me directly since I anyway was Hhonors diamond. She replied that I was already upgraded to the executive floor. I said that this was not the case since my booking was for the executive floor. She then replied that she could not upgrade me.
I then informed her that I would only stay one nigth at her hotel. She then started working her computer and came up with a room for me : room 10106 with two double beds which I accepted. For the inconvenience she offered me a voucher with one choice between free internet, free parking, a free coffee.... I replied that I would not accept this voucher since I had no car to park and since the other items were already free as Hhonors diamond. She replied : if I were you I would anyway go for the free coffee. I did rest my case and handed her the inconvenience voucher back.
The room and bathroom was very small and the room was very close to the elevator, so I could hear the interesting conversations of all people waiting for the elevator during the evening and night. So instead of being upgraded I had been downgraded. After a very noisy night with not much sleep I had breakfast in the lounge (no hot items). The printer in the lounge was not working (needs toner change). I then moved asap to the Intercontinental (completely satisfied).
To be fair : the Washington Hilton is not a dump but a standard room on the executive floor (which I assume I got) it is less good then a standard Hampton Inn room where the rooms are larger and everyone gets free internet and a free breakfast with hot items. There might be far better rooms which they reserve for their better customers ('super HHomors diamonds'?).
My recommendation is not to bet on this and to avoid this hotel. I am surprised by the good ratings of many other reviewers.

1  Thank patvh

Thank you for taking time to review us. Our Diamond members are our very best guests and I am very sorry to read the issues you encountered during your stay. It is rare that a room would not be ready after check in time and I do want to assure you that we work very hard to avoid inconveniencing our customers in this manner. It is clear that you did not leave with the impression we pride ourselves on at the Washington Hilton and hope you will return on a future trip to DC to allow us to showcase why so many reviews carry high ratings.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed 4 nights for a Conference. Staff was friendly and helpful, however 250$ w/o taxes each night is really too much. And you have to pay for breakfast, for internet, to enter the SPA etc. No refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank egnani
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your review. It is important to us that all our guests feel they received a great value for their stay whether travelling on business or for pleasure. We encourage you to return to the hotel on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

It is all you would expect from a Hilton. The bed is luxurious and I slept like a log every night. The staff are efficient and helpful (although none of them knew where I could get a chicken or country fried steak in DC). The free wifi area in the lobby was helpful and I avoided having to pay for wifi in my room. There are 4 computers in the lobby and I was able to check in for my flight and print my boarding pass. The hotel is between 2 metro stations, but it is an easy walk to DuPont Circle. Lots of restaurants on the way. And this hotel is where Ronald Reagan got shot! Obviously they don't have a sign marking the spot, but the doorman was very helpful.

On the negative side, there were no tea-making facilities, although there was a coffee percolator I was able to press-gang into action. At $20, breakfast was expensive but there are cheaper options just outside within walking distance. Also, the staff could have informed me that they were taking an extra $200 refundable deposit on my credit card for incidentals -I had to ask about the additional charge.

It was a great hotel but I might choose some place nearer a metro station next time I am in Washington in the winter. Too cold to be walking around much.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shunnie

Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. So great you enjoyed a great sleep every night so you were well rested to be able to enjoy DC. We look forward to having you back on your next trip!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Eric, at the front desk, made me feel cared for and must have seen that I was stressed and freezing cold (after waiting 45 minutes for a taxi at Reagan in 6 degree weather). He upgraded my room and made me feel like my business trip had turned into a vacation.

1  Thank Suzanne P
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thanks so much for your review of the Washington Hilton! Eric is a great team member and your comments have been shared with him. It's great to read your story and I'm so glad your business trip turned into a vacation. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel is situated in the heart of Washington. This Hotel is located close to trendy themed restaurants. If you are into sightseeing the tour bus stops right outside the hotel, making it your gateway to seeing Washington. Last but not least the staff are very efficient and profesional

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mununuri M

Thanks so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! Our location is such an advantage versus other hotels in DC. We are in a walkable neighborhood where there is so much to do and the hop on hop off bus stopping directly outside is a treat. We look forward to you staying with us again soon!