“Could use some love”

Ranked #99 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Atlanta, Georgia
“Could use some love”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The old vanguard of DC hotels is needing some love. They've recently done some lipstick level repairs/refreshments that go a long way. But some key areas of feedback:

1) Staffing here is inadequate --- during key times, waiting at the front desk can be really tough.
2) Repairs are handled poorly. My tub drained slowly and my toilet ran. It took 3 visits to get the toilet fixed, and the parts from the tub were left. (Removed during visit #3)
3) Valet is not closely monitored. They're not Hilton employees and it shows. They were hard to find, my keys were left in the car and it was left unattended. Crazy!

Location here works - it's 3 blocks (uphill, just an FYI, nothing crazy) from the Dupont Circle Metro stop. Easy access to Maryland as a straight shot up CT Ave. Internet worked quite well too.

If you get a good rate, it's worth it. At $250+ I'd find another hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback. Our management team will address these issues and we hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you travel to DC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Lenox, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent staff service and reasonable rates. Very accommodating to our family on vacation. The family discount package that included breakfast vouchers was excellent because you don't want to miss the Hilton breakfast buffet!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Joseph K
Thanks so much for your great review! It's important to us that our guests get a great value when coming to DC and want you to know how much we appreciate your business. We look forward to having you back.
macomb, mi
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am currently staying in the Washington Hilton. I am forced to stay here as part of the annual ACR meeting. I understand the ACR won't be coming here anymore.
I have had mostly sleepless night as the noise from the heater/air conditioner was awful. We have the air conditioning turned on to 65 but it is very hot in hear and I am still sweating. i am stuck here for two more nights with our convention group.
We paid for the 'executive lounge' but you should know that having a beer there cost 8 dollars. What is that? I never heard of such nonsense
The Hilton beds are very uncomfortable and small. The elevator is about a mile away. The walls are thin. The shower has a handle that cannot be used unless you open the shower door. The executive room is exactly the same as the standard room I stayed in last year. Full disclosure, I have never stayed in a Hilton I liked and I had a terrible experience at the London Hilton two years ago.

Room Tip: go stay at the hotel across the street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank chubap
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I am so sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff. I am glad we were able to address the issues you mentioned while you were still at the hotel. We try to make each guest experience a great one and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The location of the Hilton is good, about 4 blocks from DuPont Circle which is on the red line so downtown Washington and the National Mall is easily accessible. Our rooms were well serviced and reasonably large with a king-sized bed. We faced out towards the Washington Monument so our room was quiet. We didn't eat in at the hotel at all, preferring to eat out at a different restaurant every night within easy walking distance of the hotel. Our only real gripe was an interminably slow check out with only one (very pleasant) young man on the counter. Checkout took more than 20 minutes as a woman spent forever arguing about her account.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharron C
Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. It sounds like you had many great experiences throughout your stay. We hope you'll stay with us again and allow us to showcase the guest experience we pride ourselves on.
Seymour, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Spring break in DC...for an educational respite? We chose this hotel because it was in an area we had stayed in and liked before -Dupont Circle. The Hilton turned out to be a wonderful choice. A central location that is an easy walk to the Dupont Circle Metro access. A large selection of eateries of every cuisine within a mile radius. Hotel grounds landscaped nicely, with a beautiful terraced outdoor patio area complete with fire pits. We(husband & I ) had a double room on the ninth floor to share with our ten year old son. Rooms were clean, well maintained and spacious. Housekeeping did a fine job replenishing towels, toiletries and coffee. Front desk staff courteous, professional and efficient. Lobby, restaurant, coffee house, indoor pool, exercise facilities all modern and updated. Prices in the restaurant, sports lounge, and coffee shop were eqivalent to the surrounding area's prices .Outdoor pool being set up for the season and the pool chairs/surfaces were being power washed. All the amenities you could want and use . Consierge available to arrange tours, trips, and handle emergencies. At the end of a long day of sight seeing it felt like we were coming home. We will definitely recommend and return in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracey M
Thank you so much for the fantastic review of the Washington Hilton! We will gladly have you back on your return trip to Washington DC. It is very nice to see that you enjoyed so many things about your stay and we were able to provide a “home away from home” experience for your family.
Sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in a great location and rooms were well-appointed. The service was quite good, although housekeeping did not replace complimentary amenities for second day. They also didn't replace my face cloth..not sure why. My one gripe was the executive lounge. It was too small and understaffed. There weren't enough tables at breakfast time or in cocktail hour. There was limited choice for breakfast. By my second morning they even stopped putting out yoghurt and berries. There was only one staff and so tables were dirty and the place was in chaos. Also, there were children EVERYWHERE! I really believe the Hilton needs to create family friendly lounges or make a separate area for business people to do work and meet with one another. It used to be that the executive lounge fit this purpose..but now it's like trying to do work at Chuck E Cheese. It's not worth the extra price tag to have access to a family play room if you're on business.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your experiences at the Washington Hilton. While I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location and well-appointed rooms, I am very concerned regarding your comment about the executive lounge. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and assure you this is not customary at the Washington Hilton. I will personally share this feedback with our team in an effort to improve on our service. We hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Washington DC.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Rahel Gossa checked me in and she was very pleasant. I experienced a slight hiccup with my travel passport but she quickly spoke with her supervisor and honored my request to speak with a manager in an effort to rectify the situation. During the entire conversation Rahel was very helpful and always had a smile. She explained that she was a new Team Member. The way she handled herself left the impression that she was a seasoned Team Member with years of experience. I even observed how she interacted with the guest before me. She answered all the guest questions with a smile.

Rahel truly exemplifies the Hilton Brand.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks you so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! Rahel is an excellent team member and your comments have been shared. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write and recognize her. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to DC!