“No wifi in the rooms was odd.”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #105 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here in June for 4 nights. The room was not huge but adequate. Small goodies , shampoo , conditioner , body lotion and scrub bar soaps were a nice touch in the more than ample sized bathroom. Our room (7240) on the 7th floor was miles from the lift (or appeared to be) be aware that this hotel is not central to tourist it's about a 40 minute walk to the whitehouse etc. We decided to walk it and quickly became aware that it wasn't that good an idea when the temperature hit 92 dgs. A day pass on the metro is as cheap as chips and is a very good idea if you intend to see the sights from the hotel. The big bus tour is a bit expensive .................. but you will get to see all the sights. We had a problem with our boarding passes on the day we were leaving , we asked the concierge to help us out and she was as much use as a chocolate teapot , the only thing she could suggest was to contact the airline .............. other staff were friendly enough and the bar is lovely, they make great bloody Mary's. The fact WIFI is only available in the lobby and communal areas is odd for a Hilton , the pool area is good and loungers are plentiful. Safe and fridge in the room , the fridge had to be unplugged every night as it made such a racket and we must have had the noisiest air-conditioning ever ........ there are a number of restaurants and bars close by out of the main door and turn right , up the hill and take a right at the crossroads , good eats and nice atmosphere. The BBQ restaurant does a mean pulled pork. Reasonable stay , a bit out of the way but fine if you don't mind walking.

Room Tip: The lower numbers on each floor are closest to the lifts. Rooms facing front get a lot of traffic no...
1  Thank Codmother
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback. Our management team will address these issues and we hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you travel to DC.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel has an excellent location with convenient stops for hop on/off bus. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is delicious, but overpriced. Pool is a bit small as it is open to locals who purchase membership to pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thanks so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! Our location is such an advantage versus other hotels in DC. We are in a walkable neighborhood where there is so much to do and the hop on hop off bus stopping directly outside is a treat. We look forward to you staying with us again soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights in June and loved the hotel. Was a great view looking over to the Washington Monument. Nice welcome when we arrived from reception. The room was very clean and a good size. Was quite close to Dupont Circle and the metro. Plenty of places to eat round about (can recommend Circa!). No fridge in the room but not a problem. There was an ice machine on just along the corridor and a coffee shop in the lobby. Tours can be organised from there too which we did - all helped along by Abe.You did have to pay for wifi in the room if you do not have the Hhonours or there is complimentary in the lobby that you can use. Would very much use this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. It's great to read you enjoyed so many things about our hotel. We’ll gladly have you back on your return trip to Washington DC!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 days in early July, in fact I will be checking out tomorrow morning, but I felt offended enough to write this review now. I had a colleagues wedding to attend and this was the hotel they chose to support them, likely for the location to nightlife and the downtown area. The furnishings appear to be top notch on first glance but were somewhat dingy and not actually new. Overall though, decor choices were nice. I had originally booked for 3 nights but due to travel delays had to call at the last minute;
Luis, who identified himself as the front office supervisor "assisted" me after the operator said she would help but only succeeded in wasting my time since I had to explain my dilemma twice for no apparent reason. After a third explanation he was able to change my reservation after the "deadline" but attempted to make me feel grateful for not charging me after my grievous act of having to change plans due to weather delays (Category 1/2 hurricane on east coast but I guest Hilton employees don't read the news) he only succeeded in me writing this review. Citing hotel policy is NOT a way to keep customers, not to mention the policy cites "cancellation" for fees NOT "modification". As a reluctant Hilton Gold member (I prefer Marriott due to experiences like these which in the past year seem to have the Hilton name in common) I expect better just to achieve satisfactory customer service, it was quite apparent they definitely do not seek to excel.
Back to the property, the white down comforter had brown spots which appear to me to be dried blood (white is only nice if you keep it clean), the valet costs 50$ and when I went to get my car, I had to go into the office to retrieve my keys from what appeared to be the only valet worker there, who looked at me puzzled when I took my keys and gave nothing in return, when my car is parked down the drive, I have to go get my own keys and open doors, start the vehicle, and so forth, that's not valet, that's some sort of weird assisted self park. Upon returning that evening, no valet was around to be found, but the drive was full of parked vehicles, the bell staff (there was like 4 of these guys there but no valet? I wonder if anyone actually manages this property) finally suggested I drive around to an open spot in edge of the circular drive and park and took my keys, still not valet and definitely not worth the overpriced $50 charge per night. MANAGEMENT IS TO BLAME, whether poor or non-existent, the workers themselves are polite and capable, but no one is running the show.
The walls are too thin (heard steps from above, the sides, and hall) in room 9203, it appears they took a previous suite of some sort and turned it into 3 rooms with an odd layout that did not impress. The AC works fine, the hot water took about 4 minutes after letting it run at 10am in order to get more then luke warm. The beds are double, really?... pathetic, when Hyatt, Marriot, Holiday Inn, all use queens for their 2 double configurations. Overall, I'm here because this is where the wedding party is, if not, I wouldn't be, and thanks to this experience, I will actively be looking to avoid Hilton properties where possible, their overall service appears to target their profit margin, not the customer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Reception was friendly and efficient. Hhonors membersip allowed us to get free wifi and a room with a view of Washington monument on 6th floor. Room functional but basic: no fridge, minimum toiletories, just enough space but the beds are standard double, so a little cosy to share. Walls a bit thin as we were shocked to clearly hear a conversation in next room at ordinary speech levels- may have been a freak situation.
Aircon noisy and ours had a metallic smell, which was improved by housekeeping but noticable, still. Good bathroom, good lighting although as we often find the vanitary mirror was not lit as the bulb failed and not replaced. Room service did not replace the bag for ice. Room was clean, quiet from city noise. Reasonable space for clothes, safe, hair dryer supplied. Location good, 10 minute walk to metro at Dupont Circle. Lots of restaurants within 10 minutes walk. Perhaps it is tending to four stars, but not quite there for me.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property guest experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The location, I have to say, is perfect. Right next to Dupont Circle, you are in the centre of a very lively part of town. Great bars and restaurants are all within walking distance.

It also has a great gym at the Terrace level. Unlike many hotel gyms, this one is well used since it's just situated in the hotel but is not part of the hotel. At least I think. In any case, it's motivational to have people around you when you work out. And eye candy certainly doesn't hurt!

Now, that is about as exciting as this hotel gets.

The hotel is old and needs a major revamp. The dark blue colours are stale, given the unfortunate layout of the hotel the corridors are very long, especially if you have a room with high numbers.

We paid extra for a view - well, there is not much of a view to begin with - again due to the layout of the hotel.

Our room was at the very end of the hotel and was very tiny for two people. So tiny that we both couldn't keep our suitcases open until we decided to move the (empty) bar fridge away from in front of the mirror, where it was wasting precious space, and into the closet to create some extra space.

The bathroom was renovated yet again rather small.

The lounge was also very basic with a very limited selection for breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a room that is close to the elevator shaft for corridors are very long. And no need to pay extr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. This is not typical at the Washington Hilton. We look forward to having you back in the near future to experience the level of guest satisfaction we typically provide.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Washington Hilton is a top-notch facility. It provided a great venue for the conference I attended. The amenities were wonderful as well. The hotel is within walking distance of several great eateries.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. I am so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We hope to see you again on your return trip to DC.