“Decent full-service Hilton” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #99 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Decent full-service Hilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was a standard Hilton experience in North America: nothing special, nothing fancy, nothing standout, but a good room, good bed, decent bathroom, wifi worked, location fine if not exactly central. All fairly forgettable, no wow factor. Can't remember much about it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. This is not typical at the Washington Hilton. We look forward to having you back in the near future to experience the level of guest satisfaction we typically provide.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Butte, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've been to many business conference and stayed at many of the large, chain hotels and there's not much to differentiate one from the other. This Hilton is clean, has almost every amenity that you could ask for and the in-room coffee service is delicious (thanks to coffee supplied by the Coffee Bean from downstairs and REAL creamer - yay). But this review is for the excellent customer service I received at the this hotel.

I had a few concerns about my stay prior to arrival and Mr. Wesley Clark addressed them all with sincere care and concern. He was wonderful. He went as far as to leave a message for me at check in (as well as on my work phone) to ensure that everything had been taken care of. Thank you Wesley - you made a huge difference for me!!!

Room Tip: If you stay on side of the hotel that overlooks the pool, you can see the Washington Monument from y...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Zander21
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
So nice to read your kind review! You touched on so many aspects that make our hotel so popular with our guests and keep them coming back. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time with us and we hope you'll stay with us again when you return next time!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

To begin with I felt that when we checked in the woman wasn't particular helpful or friendly, but I put it down to her havering a long day and thought no more about it. The day after we tried the pool was very over crowed and didn't bother to go back. The best think about the hotel was the sports bar good food and great staff always happy to help with a smile, wish I could say the same about the rest of the staff at the hotel. A few days in to are stay a convention appeared and tbh I understand that it brings the hotel a lot of money and bunnies, but from then on we were treated as second class guests at the hotel which I believed to be a little out of order. My main problem and what will make me never go back again came when I checked out. Basically the Woman refused to accept I had already paided for my stay even after showing her my conformation and trying to talk to her I was getting no where and had to pay the full fee again. She sat the whole time playing on her mobile phone while this was happing by the way and I had to repeat myself to get her to reply. Nothing my bill added up the only think the same was the booking name the address confirmation number so was all different. Needless to say I've Chanced it up and I've got my money back. I still can't believe someone was so rude and helpful. Grated I should of maybe checked things out a little better when I checked in but this being only my second time traveling with out my family I'm kind of all new to everything. Hope this helps

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for flawless service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work for yourself.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

First time in Washington...Washington Hilton at Dupont Circle is worth the walk uphill if that's what you love to do and we did..good service, very,very busy hotel with many rooms.
The executive lounge was average, small, polite service.
The rooms are average size with good views out to Washington.
There are many shops and restaurants that are excellent on Connecticut Ave on the way up to the hotel.
If you can get good rates it is worth it ; we paid top dollar in June and I think we would have done better, hotel-wise, downtown at over the $300 p n price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveltalk777
Thanks for taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. It's great to read you enjoyed so many things about our hotel and we really appreciate your recommendation. We hope you welcome you back on your return trip to DC!
West Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

It's a large hotel situated within walking distance of Dupont Circle. You could walk to the Adams Morgan area, but it would be best to take a taxi, if one has difficulty walking several blocks. We had a friendly, efficient check-in. The lobby is typical of many average conference hotels. Bellhops, a concierge service, bus service, and taxi service can be easily found and used downstairs for your convenience. There's at least two bars, two restaurants, a small shop that serves breakfast and other sandwiches, and two gift shops located in the hotel. Drinks and food are quite expensive and I suggest walking towards the Dupont Circle area to choose a restaurant. There are several restaurants near the hotel, such as Ruth Chris, Smashburger, etc. for a variety of budgets and tastes. The carpet in the hallways leading to the rooms needs cleaning. The rooms are average in size to many hotels. The views are not great, but at least you can have a large window to see the sunshine. I stayed 5 nights and six days. During that time, the plastic bag for my ice bucket was only changed twice. One time it was changed because I threw the used one away. There were dirty spots on the glasses, so I refused to use them. The carpets in the hotel appeared dirty and during my entire stay, I often saw the maids with their cleaning supplies, but never saw or heard a vacuum used at all. A small piece of paper and a screw remained in the floor the entire time of my stay. Not all of the electrical outlets worked properly. The makeup mirror in the bathroom didn't work. I called one evening to ask housekeeping to bring me facecloths because none were left after my room was cleaned. They informed me they would bring them to me. I waited for 45 minutes and still had not received facecloths. I called again and they said they would bring them to me and would be there soon. I waited 20 minutes and still had no facecloths. I called to inform them I would like to have my facecloths in the morning because I was going to bed. Just as I fell asleep, someone from housekeeping knocked on my door. At least, they brought the facecloths. Each afternoon, a fresh dispenser of water with mint leaves was placed downstairs in the lobby area. It was nice to get some refreshing water after a long day. The conference areas are quite suitable for large conferences. I have no complaints on the meeting areas. Going to the pool requires walking through the fitness area. There are several machines that stayed in use. The pool area was clean and there were people there to hand out towels to guests. The spa didn't appear to be clean or sanitized properly, so I never used it. I would recommend the hotel, if one can handle some inconveniences, just because the hotel is within a short distance of Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. Also, I would recommend it because of the large conference area and the friendliness of the staff in the lobby. The housekeeping needs to be improved.

Room Tip: Ask for extra facecloths and save them in your room until needed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable visit. Cleanliness and comfort are priorities within our culture, and I will be sure to share your comments with our Housekeeping Department. We take great pride in executing successful conventions and I am pleased to see that were able to provide a good conference experience for you. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Coral Springs, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel was very clean and modern. Hotel staff was very helpful and gave us suggestions on points of interest in the area. The hotel is close to points of interest in Washington. There were many choices for eating at the hotel. Rooms were very clean.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Leslie D
Thanks for the great review! We are so proud when our guests have such an excellent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Easton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here with a colleague/friend for a local conference. The room size was somewhat "compact" (not hugely spacious) but perfectly fine, and very updated/modern. Bathroom vanity was a bit small for two women's toiletries but it was fine. The hotel was actually much more modern, updated, and upscale than I expected. I sometimes get the chance to stay in luxury hotels when I travel for business so my standards can be high, but this met my expectations.

A few critiques about the room:
1. There was no shower cap provided in the bathroom. I was able to call for one but then had to wait 15 min to take my shower before it arrived. Now that you know, you can bring your own or call in advance. It was obviously not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience.
2. There was no bathroom fan. Made things a bit warm and would have been helpful to have esp. since there were two of us.
3. The warmth/lack of fan was made worse by the AC settings - you could only set the AC between 65 and 70 (and maybe higher, but I was interested in getting it cooler, not warmer, as I stayed there in August). Then even when I did set it, the actual room temp never got as low as my requested setting. And when I finally did get down to the 60s, it really didn't feel as cool as it said it was. I like it really cold at night and woke up at least once each night because I was too warm. Luckily, the beds were otherwise extremely comfortable! Of note, I never actually reported a problem/complaint w/the room temp so it's possible that something could have been done about it (though I'm not sure what, which is why I didn't bother).

The pool was nice and the area was large, and while they didn't offer food/drink service, they had a phone and room service menu and you could order to the pool. I did not take advantage of that but I saw others doing so. There were plenty of available chairs when I went. Even better was the outdoor area on the lobby level, which featured really nice, comfortable outdoor couches/furniture, centered around several fires (looked like gas, so no smoke or smell) and a small waterfall. You could go into the nearby lobby bar to order an accompanying beverage if you wanted. Very relaxing! The fitness center also was really nicely equipped and even offered group classes, including yoga. I'm not sure if they cost additional money because I didn't take one.

Area:
As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is a bit of a walk from the nearest metro stop - it's not right outside the door. On the return trip, the last block is a significant uphill. If you're fit, you'd probably barely notice it. I'm in relatively good shape and found it somewhat annoying but not limited (i.e., it did not keep me from going out). If you're not fit, you might find it very inconvenient or even a little difficult. It should be noted that pretty much everything - the local restaurants, stores, etc. are in that same direction so even if you don't take the metro, you'll likely be dealing w/that little hill. Personally, I thought the hotel was nice enough (aside from the room temp) and the location is good enough that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for reviewing the Washington Hilton. There are so many great things referenced in your review and we appreciate you taking the time to share with us. We pride ourselves in getting it right and are so glad our guests can feel that passion. We look forward to your returning to stay with us on your next trip to DC!