“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #105 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great Hotel, location and value for what you pay. We stayed here for 1 week and will definetely consider coming back. The location is terrific because it is only 5 minutes to Dupont Circle and Metro stations. The restaurant at the hotel very good and affordable. Wifi and excellent costumer service.

Room Tip: Pick rooms away from elevators and ice making machines. Both are extremelly loud.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dariodiaz85
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for the "five star" review. We will gladly have you back on your next trip to DC!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,043)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I spent nine nights at this hotel. The location is quite nice, four or five blocks to Dupont Circle. There are many restaurants around, and it´s quite a safe area. My room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was great. People at the hotel were extremely polite and nice, specially Aracelli, a wonderful Peruvian woman working at the cafeteria. There is a nice swimming pool and the gym is quite complete. President Ronald Reagan was shot at the parking of the hotel in the early 80s, so I guess the hotel is kind of historic. You can also walk from the hotel to the Adams Morgan district, where a lot of ethnic restaurants are located. In short, a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alfvear
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! It's clear you had a great time and we really appreciate the “five star” review! We look forward to having you return on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

There's a large banner outside the hotel that indicates the pool is a relaxing oasis. There should be an asterisk next to it that says except for sunny Saturdays. Hearing the Hilton had one of the nicer pools in town with poolside food and beverage service, we decided to do a staycation.

I got there around 12ish and managed to get a few loungers together. Definitely crowded, but manageable. By 330 it was AWFUL. So packed, people were moving chairs and tables here and there, blocking walkways. I was in the second row and had to do a routine of climbing over/ squeezing through to get pool or bathroom access. (Btw: no toilet paper in the pool bathroom by late Saturday afternoon). Why they allow blockage on both ends of a pathway, I have no idea... And then you get to the pool and people are dancing all around. Mind if I swim? No running, but DANCE, DANCE, DANCE! We were trying to unwind, but just got to hear blaring music from multiple parties (and the hotel speakers played music on top of it). On top of that, the dance conventioneers right next to us brought there own bar. A couple hid it, but drinking red wine out off plastic water bottle is as obvious as it gets. It had all the ambiance of an overcrowded public pool.

After an evening out, we returned around midnight wanting to watch tv and have a snack, like chips, and we were told there are no vending machines; we were also told room service is over at 11. No idea why a huge hotel like this has zero offerings after 11. I asked what they recommended for patrons do and I was told Manny and Olga's, which is a sad pizza place (best for college kids that drank too much). Knowing that, I asked if there was a second choice and I was told no. I logged into seamless web and picked from one of the 30 places delivering to the Hilton at that time.

A little after 1 AM I went down for the delivery and it was still chaotic with people. Packed, slow elevators still. On my way up I was with a couple groups. One a bunch of drunk young ladies -- one crying and one barefoot -- as well as a group of kids, the eldest maybe being 11. Getting off on my floor, there was another group of young kids rummaging through room service dishes left outside the rooms. Why are kids unattended after 1 am here? It was like the twilight zone.

The positives were the front desk person and our waitress at the pool Saturday. She did a solid job serving the masses out there, which was clearly understaffed by mgmt. She did a great job of bringing drinks from the pool bar and lunch (which were sandwiches/salads from the coffee bean and tea shop in the hotel with a reasonable 1$ markup).

The room was small, but clean and the beds comfortable.

I did go to the pool Sunday as well and it was much more on par with my expectations and I did get the peaceful few hours I was looking for. The pool was far, far less crowded and the crowd more subdued, but there were so many annoying negatives, I don't see myself coming back or telling anyone to go here - it's a big city with so many other solid options. As an FYI, on Sunday, you order food and drink from a room service phone next to the bathroom... This is 20$ cheeseburger territory + room service fees. Much less reasonable than Saturday's offerings.

Finally, the immediate area has chains like Bucca and Ruth's Chris; instead head to Lauriol Plaza...it's a DC staple with fresh and well priced Mexican two blocks away. It has a great patio too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen28

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property guest experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very clean room, nicely decorated, good hotel facilities, great price, friendly/helpful staff. Location was within walking distance to the Metro, which made it convenient. We brought along our two grandsons to see Washington, DC. They LOVED the hotel too - especially the pool!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank 167donnab

Reading your review is exactly what we strive for at the Washington Hilton: helpful service, clean rooms and unmatched location. Thanks for the "5 star" review! We look forward to you returning to the Washington Hilton on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband & I stayed at the Washington Hilton during our visit to Washington DC. The hotel scores on location. It's very close to the Adams Morgan(which is great for restaurants as well as bars that are probably the last to shut in the city where Subway would be the best bet for getting food after 10:30 pm.) The hotel is also only about a 10-15 minutes walk from DuPont circle metro station that takes you straight to the Mall where all the museums are located. It's not too far from Georgetown.
Other than the location, there is not much else to wow you as far as the hotel goes. The standard room is a small size so will be a tight fit if travelling with kids. There is no free wi-fi in the rooms (only free in the main lobby). You need to pay to use the gym. The air-conditioning is old so a little noisy. Something I found very odd about a hotel chain like the Hilton was that the room doors are metal doors so the feel is like you are entering the cabin on a ship. The rooms are very basic in terms of fixtures. Definitely not in keeping with the luxury hotel image of Hilton in Asia. Not ugly but not something that one expects.
I did not have breakfast at the hotel so can't comment on that but it does have a couple of good cafés & also a coffee bean company at the main lobby level.
Overall an average hotel with a great location.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thanks so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! Our location is such an advantage versus other hotels in DC. We pride ourselves in exceeding guest expectations and it is disappointing that we were not able to do so for your stay. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We arrived around 11am and they let us in early. I am Hilton Rewards member and in my settings it is indicated that I like high floor so they said if I want to wait until check in time, they can accommodate my high floor request. I did not care for a high floor as we wanted to leave bags and explore the city.
We also took advantage of the pool and enjoyed our day there. In the evening we sat down at the back lounge in front of the fire and that was very pleasant.
We thought it was a very good hotel and the location is excellent - right in between Dupont and Adams Morgan!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank danikbp

Thanks for the great review! We are so proud when our guests have such an excellent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was a standard Hilton experience in North America: nothing special, nothing fancy, nothing standout, but a good room, good bed, decent bathroom, wifi worked, location fine if not exactly central. All fairly forgettable, no wow factor. Can't remember much about it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. This is not typical at the Washington Hilton. We look forward to having you back in the near future to experience the level of guest satisfaction we typically provide.