“Loved everything about our stay!”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My friend and I surprised our best friend with a 2 night stay bachlorette party weekend and stayed at the Donovan. Even with the worst storm of the year threatening the DC area and closing the rooftop pool for the morning (one of the major reasons we choose to stay at the hotel) it surpassed our expectations and was exactly what "the bride" had hoped for. The suite was amazing, rooftop pool relaxing, happy hour super fun, and the food at the restaurant was amazing. Love this hotel and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Great view from the 10th floor suites!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Donovan Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Like 1 million other people in the DC area, I lost my power Friday night. My dog and I toughed it out but Sunday, I could no longer take it. I called the Kimpton reservations line. The gentleman that assisted was extremely kind and helpful and I was able to secure a room at the pet friendly Donovan House for two nights. It was such a relief to have somewhere cool to stay. The hotel was clean, the room was clean and comfortable, the staff members were very nice and accommodating, and I love the evening happy hour. Great sangria! Thank you so much for helping us out Kimpton/Donovan House.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed 1 July 2012

This hotel is good. Some small nice touches like free wine in the reception at certain times and a pretty nice rooftop pool. Rooms are nice with funky details. The service is so-so but that the normal thing on these types of hotels. Overall, not an exceptional experience but I would consider to stay again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The Donovan House is a very hip, cool hotel. The design, decor, rooms are all very well done. The only caveat is that the bathroom fixtures need maintenance as they are loose and the shower hnadle came off. The staff at the front desk are very friendly and attentive and the problem was fixed quickly.

Check out the rooftop pool/bar at night. A short walk from the convention center, memorials, restaurants and more. My favorite DC hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank CaliforniaBrad
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Donovan House was what I expected it to be, a cool yet "hot" spot much like the W Hotel's little cousin. I'm a Starwood man myself, but thought I'd give it a shot as I have heard so many good things about Kimpton. From the time I arrived until my departure, I was treated very attentively by all members of the staff from the valet on up to the manager. A billing hiccup was taken care of swiftly and to my advantage (free upgrade as opposed to the promotional fee) by the ever so lovely team of Breana and Chenise at the front desk. Unlike Starwood, however, there aren't many bells and whistles and the most you get may be $10.00 off the mini-bar, but the rooftop experience is a worthy opponent. Since Kimpton just took over, I'll definitely give it another shot in September to see if any improvements regarding amenities and comps materialize.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the King Premiere upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank George P
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My secretary booked me in here. I will ask her to avoid the property in the future. I checked in and entered the room. It was very striking, but I soon discovered it is better suited to photographs in high style magazines and not suited to house a guest. My first discovery - no coffeemaker. i called down to have one sent up. It was provided. Later I had to call down for a coffee cup. Still later I had to call down for coffee to use with the coffee maker and subsequently fill the cup. The desk in the room is round. A document cannot be set next to my laptop because of the table top's curve. The room is dimly lit. I turned on all of the lights to iron a shirt and was still in the dark. The ironing board is so cheap that it is completely unbalanced. I have to hold it up while I iron on it. The sink in the bathroom does not have any form of stopper. Thus it cannot be filled with water. The shower has nowhere to hang a wash cloth. The water dribbles out of a little square showerhead which resembles a hole in the ceiling with absolutely no pressure. The only redeeming qualities the room possesses is that it is clean and the bed is comfortable. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments. I have to agree with many of your suggestions and we have been working to make improvements since taking over the hotel in April. We have been making adjustments to the sink drains and have removed the restrictors from the showerheads for improved pressure. We are adding towel hooks next to the showers as well. I also have one of our designers working on lighting updates which we hope to have installed in the next couple of months. We hope you will come back and see our progress. Feel free to reach out to me at mark.jennings@kimptonhotels.com so that I can handle personally handle the arrangements for your next trip.

Mark

Reviewed 25 June 2012

The decor is attempting to be "Kimpton" but truly the only thing the lobby had going for it were 2 unique chairs. The valets were under trained with regards to handing our car and our luggage. They left both un-attended twice. Checkin was easy.. the halls were simply purple with cheap mirrors glued to the walls, it's needs something more to give it true Kimpton pizazz.

Our room was very cool but the bed was AWEFUL to sleep on and the pillows were the weakest ever !! The shower is very modern but has the slightest bit of waterfall shower pressure ever ! The toilet is approx 12 inches from the bath room sink so maneuvering to brush teeth, wash face was tricky.

There is a roof top bar and small pool area on the 14th floor. My problem with this was only that they open it to the public so not only is the space very very small and the bar having only 1 bar tender with a broken down frozen drink machine, there are a handful of the staffs friends hanging out up there making seating non-existent and getting a cocktail a ridiculously long wait. We went back up after our dinner in the evening and it was shoulder to shoulder of sticky floor crowd. We were there very late, able to get one drink after long wait in line. When we left for our hotel room, the elevator was packed tight and everyone but us were headed to the lobby ... again no hotel guests !

In the morning, we had a quick checkout process but there was no coffee, upon asking 15 min or so later a gentleman came out with the coffee, quickly left before we could tell him there was no creamer... only soy creamer. the coffee space was a mess... gross.

Really need to work on the experience before I'd call this a hotel worthy of the Kimpton name.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the circle and I thought it was pleasant.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hekasa2
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Don't give up on us yet! Remember this was not a Kimpton until 60 days ago. We actually think the design is pretty cool, although a bit different for us - more euro-modern. We are right in the midst of adding all of our Kimpton touches. You are right about the pillows. I've ordered $24,000 worth of them but we we can't have them delivered all at once or we would clog up all of Thomas Circle. They should all be in within the next few weeks. I'm glad you told me about the rooftop experience. That should never happen and I will follow up immediately. The rooftop pool is for hotel guests only during the day and only open to the public in the evening. Please write to me at mark.jennings@kimptonhotels.com so I can personally see to the details of your next visit.

Mark