“Great discovery”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great discovery”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

A colleague was staying at the Donovan House so I stayed there instead of my regular hotel and I plan to return. I arrived late and the staff at the front desk were very welcoming -- a real change from the typical late night check-in. The rooms are overly modern but it is a good layout and the bed was comfortable. All of the staff are friendly and ready to offer assistance throughout my stay. Breakfast was served on time and lunch at Zenten was fabulous. It is worth returning just for the meal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hi gmlny,

Thanks for reviewing my Hotel.

Let's face it, they don't call it the graveyard shift for nothing. More often than not, you'll find zombies working overnight in Hotels. I am proud (and relieved) to say this is not the case at Donovan House. The team working overnight is awesome. They pride themselves on having quality interactions with folks that come and go on their shift. Glad you ran into them and didn't have to run away from them.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 13 July 2013

As a loyal "Kimpton-ite" I have to say this was a disaster from the start. A room so poorly lit we had to use our cell phone flashlight apps to see the clock buttons, housekeeping which regularly didn't show up until we called the front desk well after 4:00 in the afternoon, elevators so slow we used the stairs every time (thank God we were on the second floor!), tv didn't work properly, no safe (they brought one from another room, which did nothing to help us feel they were securely fastened), ran out of coffee leaving my husband waiting for 15 min while they "refilled" the pots. They never returned and the, by this time ensemble amassed, walked to the nearest Starbucks! A rooftop bar and pool, which considering the hot, humid weather would have been wonderful.....BUT they were both over crowded and dirty. Pool water was actually murky and green colored.....YUCK! My husband summed it up pretty well. He said if this was his first ever stay with Kimpton, it would also be his last.

However, on a positive note (yes, there is one) the location was good and the front desk staff, bell staff, restaurant wait people, etc., were all super helpful and typical Kimpton good employees. I think they were really trying to make lemonade out of well.....you know.... These cheerful people are the ONLY reason they got a "poor" rating instead of bad, bad, bad.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Hi there SusanneS910,

Thanks so much for your review.

Yikes, seems like we really blew it. After reading your comments, I too was disappointed and can understand how you feel. Being a 9-year Kimpton Employee, I care deeply about my guests and their experiences at my Hotel. I like to believe that all of my staff feels the same way and I plan on sharing your feedback with them. Hopefully we can make things right for the next guest. If you have time, could you reach out to me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com?

I hope we can connect soon.

Amarillo, TX
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My family and I stayed there for a week and enjoyed the stay. At first the room was not ready a 3 as promised but the staff quickly took care of the problem. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The only issue I had was the slow elevators that the staff and customers both use but that was minor. The staff was incredible professional and they could teach other hotels how to run a business. I would not hesitate taking my family there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Hi drayh,

Thanks for reviewing my Hotel.

You know what, problems happen in our business. What separates the men from the boys (or dogs from the cats), is how we handle the problems. Seems like the team here did a great job. Loved this so much I just shared with my entire Hotel.

Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed one night at the Donovan House and had a fabulous time. They are conveniently located at 14th and L, on Thomas Circle. Very modern and hip boutique hotel. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a lovely suite since we are Kimpton Intouch members. Great walking location or Metro. Front desk staff are great and very good service. Wine hour from 5-6 is fabulous, and they make sure your glass is never empty! Although it is quite a walk, we went to the National Mall to see the parade and fireworks.

Hi There,

Thanks for reviewing my Hotel JanU57586.

Glass half full......or always full! Our Manager's Evening Hosted Reception is pretty cool. As you know, being a Kimpton InTouch Member pays.

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

There are many hotels in the area and we have stayed at them all. It's only the Donovan House that feels like you are "coming home". What a friendly yet professional crew they have there. We were able to check in early and even received an upgrade. Wow! We had a beautiful end room/suite with fantastic views from the floor to ceiling windows. We went to the rooftop to check out the scenery and to sip a Pimm's Cup from the bar. We love the contemporary style of the Donovan House and the great location. Kimpton hotels are phenomenal!

Hi SPKinVA,

Thanks for reviewing my Hotel.

Wow, seems like a great stay. You had so many positive and cool things to highlight in your review. I wanted to especially thank you for giving a shout out to my staff. They really do care.

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed one night for a quick getaway and loved it! We were late checking into our room because of a traffic jam, but the staff made us forget all the stress. :) When we arrived, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a bigger room with a gorgeous view of Thomas Circle, and the lady at the front desk gave us two vouchers for free drinks at the rooftop bar. It sounds like a small thing, but it was so thoughtful and just what we needed. The room was beautiful, the room and furniture were gorgeous, and the rooftop bar has amazing views. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Hi Ellen B,

Thanks so much for your review.

Great stay. Sounds like you ended up with a view in one of our King Premier Rooms. They're my personal favorite.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Donovan house is a smaller unique hotel right in the middle of the D.C. Area. It was busy upon checking in, the room was beautiful dead center on Thomas circle. At first the service seemed to be a little stretched with the amount of guests arriving, but when I went down to talk to John at the front desk, he went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect. These guys know how to treat their guests. Really enjoyed it, and will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Hi DZ123,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor Review.

A Hotel is nothing without people that care. I feel confident that all of my staff does. Glad you experienced this.