“A night to remember...”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Service, Attention-to-detail & a Personal touch...these are a few of my favorite things.

The Donovan House has it all, and more.

I came to D.C. with my Fiance to celebrate our recent engagement and a special birthday. I chose The Donovan House due to the positive reviews and proximity to the Warner Theater.

It's crucial to note that the 5 Star Customer Service I experienced from The Donovan House, started weeks prior to our arrival. Being that this was going to be our first time to not only The Donovan House, but to D.C. as well, I wanted to be sure to do my homework on the area. I reached out to the hotel via the "Contact Us" forum, and I was completely blown away by the feedback and advice I was given. Jonathan Ferlez made me feel like I was a personal friend of his, taking the time to walk me through numerous restaurants, details on the area, etc. Jonathan made personal recommendations based on our needs & wants. We engaged in numerous emails and each time, he made me feel completely at ease and well taken care of. Jonathan is a massive asset to The Donovan House and I am extremely appreciative for all the work he did prior to our arrival, but also once we were there, to make this weekend getaway a trip to remember!

I booked a King Premier Room for this special occasion trip, and upon checking in on Saturday (about Noon), we were told the room was still not ready and we would not be guaranteed Check In until the standard 3pm time. This was not exactly ideal, as we were tired from traveling, but we understood. This is where another Star from The Donovan House emerged. Felicia, who greeted us at the Front Desk, gave us passes to a museum we were interested in seeing so we enjoyed that after lunch.

While we were at the Museum, no more than a few hours after leaving the hotel for lunch, Felicia calls us with exciting news, that not only was a room ready for us, but we were actually being upgraded to a suite!! Epic. When we returned to the hotel from the Museum, Felicia was genuinely excited to give us the keys to our Suite and her sincerity was truly heart-warming. She congratulated us again on our engagement, and sent us on our way. (Again, attention to details.) The Donovan Suite was Epic...simply Epic. No words can describe the view, the size of the suite, or the experience in general. We left for dinner and our show and upon returning back to our Suite, Jonathan had delivered a hand-written congratulatory note accompanied by a bottle of Champagne, assorted cheeses and chocolate... BLOWN.AWAY.

The Donovan House does not just offer a phenomenal stay, but it offers a unique EXPERIENCE that every D.C. visitor should be privileged enough to have. Again, it's about the Service, Attention-to-detail & a Personal touch.

The Donovan House / Kimpton will clearly be our hotel of choice in the future.

Thank you so much again, Jonathan & Felicia!!!

Room Tip: * Book a King Premier Room, the size of the room and the view is well worth it! * Make yourself a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joey M
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hi Joey M,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor Review.

Wow, what an awesome experience. While I'm super pleased to hear about Jon and Felicia's interaction with you, I am not at all surprised. They are a couple of our very best and like you said, assets to our Hotel Family. I'm so happy you got a chance to interact with them during your stay.

Until next time,

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'm afraid to let the Kimpton secret out, but I figure I should do the right thing. This place is your standard (and by standard I mean excellent) Kimpton hotel. The decor is both fun and relaxing. The rooms are chic, but very comfortable. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which I really enjoyed. It was continental, but they use quality foods like organic yogurt, hardboiled eggs, good coffee and fresh fruit (not just bananas and apples). They have your standard hot items too. I think the selling point is the free wine happy hour. They also give you a $10 credit for the minibar if you join their membership. The customer service throughout the hotel is very professional and classy. The only downside was that our room was a little humid, but nothing to fret over. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi ssm17,

Thanks for your review.

Be proud and loud! The secret is out already on Kimpton. I appreciate you sharing such a positive experience about our Hotel. The $10 Raid the Bar credit you received it apart of our Kimpton InTouch Guest Loyalty Program. All should join!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was a terrific and fun hotel. The décor is fun and modern but the does not leave you with a sterile feeling that a lot of the modern hotels often do. The room was really light and bright and the modern chair was great to sit and read in (really good light to go with it). Loved the funky animal print bathrobes. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. We quite liked the novel shower set-up like entering a snail shell but it meant that there was no mouldy build up around shower screens or being caught in a wet shower curtain. We missed happy hour each day but because the hotel was so well located we were out doing plenty of other things. It is a short taxi ride from Union Station (wow that a great railway station to see) but for the day to day metro it is a 2 minute walk from the hotel and you can easily get to some of the key sites using it. Breakfast was okay but it seems like it is hardly used by a lot of people so we felt a little like we were the only people. No hesitation recommending this hotel and if you can get a god deal like we did even better. Enjoy

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hi JJMcK,

Thanks so much for your TripAdvisor Review.

What an awesome stay. Sorry you missed our Evening Hosted Wine Reception. It's daily from 5PM to 6PM and super popular. The Nautilus Showers are a signature design feature of the rooms. Guests love them. Lastly, our location is top notch and allows you to access all of DC's great neighborhoods.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Donovan House is a very engaging, modern hotel just below Thomas Circle on 14th Street. The rooms are large with very modern decor, lots of windows and a beautiful rain shower in the bath. The room furnishings, including a fun modern chair, are striking. This is a Kimpton Hotel, where they always treat you like family and work hard to make your stay fun and enjoyable. If you are in DC for sightseeing, the Hotel is close (3 blocks away) to the DC Metro. For dinner or lunch walk up 14th Street, which is one of Washington's hottest dining destinations. If you are tired, have dinner in Zentan, an excellent Asian Sushi restaurant that is part of the Hotel. Overall, I think this is a very enjoyable place to stay in the nation's capital.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Hi James P,

Thanks for your review.

What a great stay. Loved all parts of your review, but most enjoyed your comments about us being a Kimpton and the type of treatment you receive. You're right about our location, 14th Street features some of DC's finest new Restaurants and Bars. We're perfectly situated for a stay-cation or urban getaway.

Appreciate the comments and sharing,

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Great location and great happy hour! The staff really stood out! The restaurant next door is a highly rated sushi restaurant as well which is very convenient. I would return to this hotel in a heart beat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Hi there Tiffany C,

Thanks so much for your review.

You would return in a heat beat? Awesome! Thanks for acknowledging our staff and restaurant. Both I feel are strong deciding factors when selecting a Hotel to trust your stay with.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Positive: Very nice room with modern touches and amenities. The seating, lights, and fixtures all have a stylized look. I realize this preference is subjective, but I quite liked it myself. All is new also, which just adds to the niceness. Room service food was also very good. Professional and efficient staff.
Neutral: Strangely low water pressure in the shower.
Negative: None.
For elite members: Staff does a great job recognizing elite members. The welcome amenity was very very generous with good attention paid to my requested preferences. Thank you for a nice stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Hi SFOPhD,

Thanks for your review!

Sounds like an awesome stay. My favorite part was the ridiculously personal guest experiences provided for our Inner Circle Members. We do try and especially highlight these guests. I'll check into the shower pressure as well.

Cheers and until next time,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I've booked this hotel after great recommendations from friends and colleagues. I had some small trouble getting to the hotel, with a car, thanks to the one-ways all around the Hotel and an uncooperative GPS, but finally I managed - not that's hotel's fault in any case.

Check-in was very nice and professional.

Then I got to my room. There was no table where to put my laptop. I mean it, I think it's the first time ever that this happened. Oh well ... then I connected to the Internet (billed to your room, mind you, not free). It was painfully slow. At the end, I used my phone 3G to check my mails, as I was getting REALLY irritated.

Bathroom seems made for the smurfs, (which made me think maybe I was in a disabled room) ? Shower was in need of a refreshment, and was letting the water on the bathroom floor, making it a nice puddle. Oh well ...

Finally, something happened that should never happen in any hotel of any class. I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door. At 8AM some employee start knocking at my door (until I opened) asking me to give him my valet car receipt so that the car could be taken out of the garage. I asked him "what about the DND sign?" and he replied "oh, I haven't noticed it" Excuse me?

Overall, a disappointment.

I would not recommend, especially if you are in town for business.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank krotas
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hi krotas,

Thanks for your review.

After reviewing your comments, I wanted to personally reach out. Could we possibly communicate over the phone? I would like to know more about your experience at my Hotel to hopefully create a better service environment for all guests. You're right, the Do Not Disturb sign issue is inexcusable. Thanks and my direct line is 202-521-1402.

I hope to speak with you soon.