“Fantastic Stay and Amazing customer Service”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here with my mother for two nights in February 2014, after our travel plans were disrupted due to the weather. The room had two unbelievably comfortable beds, a fantastic view of 14th street, and the most amazing shower!! The staff though were what made this stay. In particular John D is brilliant at his job. From his welcome to the fact that he remembered our names, he gave great restaurant recommendations, and was just an out and out genuinely nice guy, who obviously takes great pride in his job. Stay here!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

IrishLouise12

Thank you for a great review!

John D is absolutely AMAZING. He loves what he does and always goes above and beyond. It is so wonderful to read his name on your review.

I am thrilled to read that you had a great time. Please join us back in the future!!

Elif

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Here with my husband, 2 kids and au pair for a special event and Felicia Davenport was just as wonderful as can be! She set up special arrival treats for all of us and made sure we were taken care of to the fullest extent. All of the staff treated us as if we were "regulars" and made us feel not only special as guests, but right at home as well! We have stayed in some of the most exclusive chain hotels and cannot say enough about the customer service here!

Room Tip: King mini suites

Rachael S

Thank you for a great review!!

I am so thrilled to read how Felicia went above and beyond to make your stay special. She is so wonderful and our guests absolutely LOVE her just like you.

Hope you will have another opportunity to join us in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I don't give out "Excellent" ratings very easily, but this property was worthy. Classified as a "boutique" hotel, it certainly lived up to it's billing. Stayed for 3 nights in mid-February. Had a Premium King with an incredible view of Thomas Circle; very spacious, very modern. Ample hook-ups for electric, large flat screen TV, very comfortable platform bed. Mini-fridge upon request - didn't partake in mini-bar or room service, but prices were commensurate with most other properties in it's rate class.

Check-in was a breeze, front desk staff were very attentive and friendly. Only 3 items I didn't care for: no coffee maker in room, small fitness room, and no ice-bucket/ice machine. Coffee was free in lobby in the mornings, and ice was delivered free, so neither item deserved to downgrade the hotel. Stayed early week, but hotel was quiet even from street noise. Bathroom, tub/shower were fantastic and great modern design. Towels were first-rate, and housekeeping did a very nice job cleaning/restocking daily. Great robes!

The hotel itself was a 6 minute walk from the McPherson Square Metro stop, and about 10-12 minutes from the convention center. Pharmacy just outside, and restaurants/fast-food within a very short walk as well.

I plan to stay here as often as possible, and HIGHLY recommend you do too!

Room Tip: rooms ending in "09" have a great view of the square!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelPics825

PhotoGuy825

Thank you for a Wonderful review!!

Great to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. As you said, our hotel is located at a great location and is in a walking distance to so many sightseeing attractions.

Come back and visit us soon!!

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We were in DC to celebrate one of our friends 30th birthday. There were several other couples that met us there too. I always research every hotel prior to booking it but since our friend picked it out I just had to go along. With that being said, we loved the hotel. We were able to walk from the metro to the hotel. It was not a bad walk and we got to see what was around the hotel. There was a CVS right across the street, many restaurants in walking distance that varied in price. We were able to step out and flag a cab anytime. To DCA cost us $15 to the White House cost us $7. The decor in the lobby was lovely and it smelled good every time we walked in. The wine was good during wine hour. Everyone was helpful, if there was an issue it was rectified quickly. There was renovation going on while we were there but I could not tell. The only complaints I have are the rooms could have had more light, especially in the bathroom so I could see what i was doing when I was putting on my makeup. Also the vent where the heat came out was by the front door and faced down. We had the heater on 85 and on high, so whenever we walked into the room it was warm by the door and cool in the rest of room. Our room had one of the floor to ceiling windows with a great view but it was cold by the window. I would recommend this hotel and stay at it again, everyone had a good time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dilmo,

Greetings from Washington, D.C. and thank you for a great review!

Your friends definitely picked one of the best location for a birthday celebration. Our location is great and rooms are newly renovated. Please accept my apologies for the troubles you experienced during your stay; hope they will not stop you from coming back to us.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Ultra Modern and Fresh, perfect for a couple in their 30s. Had an amazing time and the Free Happy Hour was a very nice touch! Zentan was delish and the whole vibe was just right on point. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Jentravels14,

Greetings from Donovan House!!

I truly enjoyed reading that you had a wonderful time with us.

We look forward to having you back with us soon...

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I visit D.C. fairly frequently and have stayed at all the Kimpton Hotels except The Donovan House, the latest addition to the Kimpton's fleet of fine hotels. On this trip, I tried The Donovan House and found it up to standard in every respect without exception. The hotel is at Thomas Circle and its views from the upper floors are spectacular. I had a premier suite (room 1015) that had one and a half baths, a good size living room and a large bedroom. The room was immaculate and the maid service was attentive. Make no mistake: Donovan House is a funky place and is alive with excitement. There are swings in the lobby, a spectacular Asian Restaurant on the property, a very lively bar scene and a staff that aims to please. I could not find anything to criticize and my only regret is that I could not stay longer! That said, I will have to return again soon!

Room Tip: Pay for a premier suite and you will find it worth the few extra bucks!

BobofNewtn,

Thank you for a great review!!

I would like to personally thank you for your loyalty to our brand. Donovan House joined the Kimpton family only couple of years ago and we could not have been happier for that. Our hotel is located at the center of all the attractions and rooms are newly renovated. But what makes a difference is the service quality. I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Please visit us again soon!!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The ultramodern rooms are a fun break from the norm, especially for business travel. I stayed during the winter so I wasn't able to try out the rooftop bar and pool. While the staff are very welcoming and the facilities are attractive and well-maintained, it's a little curious that this property is regularly one of the most expensive in Kimpton's portfolio in DC. The fitness room is surprisingly cramped with a very narrow variety of equipment. The limited elevators can get pretty crowded during peak periods, and the lobby is quite small. The complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby was served in paper cups. Again, a fine and comfortable place, just a little off-kilter on the value-for-money scale.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Clintonbench,

Thank you for your review!

I truly appreciate all the details on your review as it allows us to continue to improve our service.

We hope to see you in the future as well!!