“Fabulous Hotel in DC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Fabulous Hotel in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Based on the pictures from the website, I was very much looking forward to staying at Donovan House. Check-in was efficient and extremely friendly. My room was spotless, smelled fresh and had all of the essentials required by a business traveler. The bed and bedding were extremely comfortable, and the drapery allowed for the room to be completely dark at night - a must for me.

I enjoyed drinks at the rooftop bar and found the lobby to be quite lively with the complimentary evening wine hour. There were several good restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi ride away.

The only disappointing experience was the service at breakfast. The buffet breakfast was quite limited, and was completely devoid of the scrambled eggs the entire 30 minutes we were there. The bartender/server was running around and unavailable to place an order from the menu. The coffee ran out, the skim milk was out... I could go on. This is not the way a business traveler heading to an all-day conference wants to begin their day.

The only other issue I experienced was the mysterious long-distance phone charge on my bill at check-out. I never used the phone. I also incurred a $1 charge for the honor bar because I took advantage of my $10 credit for being a member of the InTouch loyalty program. I'm sure that was in the fine print on the card I was given at check-in, but still...

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if my travels take me back to DC.

1 Thank downtown_chicago_gal
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
downtown_chicago,

Thank you for review!

Great to read that you had a pleasent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the unpleasent breakfast experience and inaccurate phone charge on your bill.

Glad to read that you will return to visit us in the future.

Cheers,

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect. Great service, beautiful classy rooms, wine hour, swinging bubble chairs. :) extremely central location. Stay here. Request a room with a view of Thomas circle. Is that 200 words yet?

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
So glad you enjoyed the Hotel and the location! Come back soon. . .
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

II stayed in this hotel for a weekend. I got a suite and it was very big. The bed is very comfortable. The bathroom was a little weird there is only one plastic wall that separate it from the bedroom so whenever someone put the light on you get awake. The tub was great I took many baths. The bad? On Saturday there was a party in a room and through the vent I could smell weeds. We could not sleep that night with such a bad odor. I want to recommend a restaurant that it is just a few steps from this hotel. Go to the Lincoln Restaurant. 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Washington, DC. the food it is fantastic. You are going to love it. The other good thing is that it is so close to the all the smithsonian musuems and the white house. There is also many restaurants and a good night life just near by.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LilianaCastillo
Thank you for staying with us and glad you enjoyed the location. I am sorry about the party in the other room and the odor. Please let us know when you vist DC again!
Hoover, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

In DC for a conference at the Convention Center but conference hotel was booked. After exhausting research on where to stay in DC, this hotel kept coming up. I signed up for Kimpton Rewards and received a ridiculously low rate - cheaper than other hotels in the area of much lower quality. I can honestly say that my stay was worth twice what I paid.

Donovan House was a pleasant five minute walk to the Convention Center. The area is great - several restaurants, cafés, etc nearby and a 24hr CVS across the street. Although if you forgot anything, the staff will get it for you!

As a solo female traveler, I was a bit nervous in DC since I am not very familiar with it and wasn't at the official hotel. I could not have felt safer! In order to use the elevator you have to use your key. There were always 2-3 staff members at the door. Area is quiet but not in a bad way, door men are so nice and helpful.

I wish I had caught more of the employees names because they were fantastic. On Sunday, I asked for a late checkout at the last minute due to my plans changing thanks to an impending winter storm. They were quick to accommodate, extending my checkout to 3 (checkin is 4, so this was as late as they could go) and storing my bags for me after that. After my stay, I received an email asking me to take a survey. I did, and the next day received a personal email from the manager thanking me for my input and quoting some of my comments. Jonathan also asked that I let him know before my next visit so he could make a point to greet me. I am by no means a VIP guest, but this made me feel like one!

I know a lot of this is just good service, but it is honestly the way the staff treated me and their overall attitude. Like I said in the title, I really felt like their guest and not a customer. I will not hesitate to stay at Donovan House or other Kimpton hotels in the future!

Positives:
- area is quiet and safe, but not desolate
- metro is quick two blocks away (I live in the south and we don't walk anywhere, so you know it's short!)
- White House, the Mall, etc are a 10-15 walk away. I loved getting to see the city!
- staff is incredibly professional and helpful
- rooms are comfortable, clean, and quite nice
- TV gets a ton of channels
- minibar is pretty reasonably priced for a minibar
- CVS across the street is open 24 hours
- wine happy hour! I only took advantage once, but it was a nice treat
- very modern, hip decor with plenty of lighting and space.
- comfortable bed - loved the pillows!
- if it had been warmer, I would have loved to take advantage of the free bikes!
- also wish I had taken advantage of the pet goldfish.... Just for fun!

Cons
- too cold for rooftop pool. :( but not the hotel's fault!
- water pressure isn't great, but I've stayed in places with worse. Also, I truly think this is a personal preference. It's more of the rainfall shower experience.
- parking is expensive. But I had friends drive in from Delaware for a few hours on Sunday, and the doorman was quick to direct them to cheaper parking (meters don't count on Sunday). And honestly, all parking in the city is expensive.

Tips:
Sign up for Kimpton InTouch to receive great rates, free Wifi, and $10 in the minibar.
The hotel was recently renovated, so I did not see any of the negatives mentioned in other reviews. Pretty sure that has all been take care of

Room Tip: I upgraded to a King executive, and although it was nice I am not sure that the difference between i...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for the great review as we are so glad you enjoyed your visit! The next time you are in DC, you know where to find us!
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is my second time at Dononvan (first time I loved it) and probably my 8th visit to a Kimpton hotel in the past year. This time when I checked in I felt like a second class citizen. I did purchase through a 3rd party vendor, not through the hotel and it was made clear at check in that I would get different treatment. I was told I don't get points, I understand that, told how to access the internet, but when I asked about the raid the mini bar, was told I don't get this. Every time I have checked in to a Kimpton, I was told I get the "raid the mini bar". Of the 10 or so times, I have only once taken a water so it's not that I'm try to get somethig but it's a nice gesture. When I explained I have always gotten the $10.00, the person at reception said he wasn't aware of that. Do you think he would have asked his co-worker standing right next to him? I was really tired and it was late and I was not in the mood to argue with the staff. Then he didn't even ask if I wanted a key to the mini bar. I think the staff need to be trained and should be consistent.
Then to my room. It was very, very, very tiny....I could live with that but disappointed that there was no dresser? I have never stayed in a hotel with no dresser, tiny closet and no shelves in the closet. Where do I put my cloths? I feel so unsettled (maybe that's why I'm up at 4:00 AM) The worst of everything was my sink didn't drain. Not sure how others feel but I find it pretty gross and not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. I have been to enough Kimpton's to feel (or hope the standard is not going down) this one time was an exception, but please, please, please try to resolve these issues.

Room Tip: 301 is quiet, it's inside with no view but tiny. The heat fan was extremely loud. I needed to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I apologize the 2nd stay was not as consistent as the first and please know the staff has read this posting and will learn from it. We will definitely work on resolving the issues brought to our attention.
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in March. The location is good for business visitors or tourists and the staff is friendly, but this is simply an average hotel that attempts to be more than what it is by using trendy design. However that too has its limits...most notable is that the "wall" between the bathroom and the sleeping area is translucent acrylic: so every time someone turns the light on in the bathroom, the entire room lights up.That is a real problem for those sleeping in bed. For the price, there are better choices.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I apologize you did not enjoy the bathroom design but was happy to read you enjoyed our location and the staff was friendly. Thank you for your feedback. .
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Loved my stay at the Donovan hotel!
PROS:
1. Great location. Go north to great restaurants in Logan circle, south to museums and the White House
2. Courteous, friendly, and accommodating service and staff, especially June at the front desk. They really make an effort to make things hassle free
3. 5-6 PM wine hour daily!
4. Morning coffee and tea in the lobby (cups are tiny though!)
5. The beds were very comfortable and clean

CONS:
1. The elevators are under construction so there was frequently a line down the lobby to get on the single small elevator
2. Thin walls. Up late due to rowdy drunk guys yelling Til 3 AM
3. $45 valet parking only, no lot (expensive but honestly this seemed somewhat consistent with other hotels in the area)
4. We had the King executive suite and it was very very small.
5. Slim pickings on the toiletries! The bathrooms are essentially bare and the shampoo was (oddly) half empty...def should have been replaced by housekeeping!

Overall the pros outweigh the Cons and I would consider staying here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kris l
Thank you for the review and happy the pros outweigh the cons. I apologize for the rowdy guests, but happy to report the renovation is complete and the elevators are back in service. I will inform housekeeping about your amenities as well. Come back and visit soon.