“**SOLID ROOM AND STAY NEAR LOGAN CIRCLE**”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #32 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Beverly Hills, California
“**SOLID ROOM AND STAY NEAR LOGAN CIRCLE**”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Nice hotel in the middle of everything.

PARKING
========
Valet parking is available for $45 per day.
Parking is not included in the room rate.
Located on 14th street between L and M Street NW.

ROOM
======

PROS
---------
Upgraded to a King Deluxe (261 - 310 square feet)
Comfortable bed with 400 thread count SFERRA linens
Marble bathroom with unique cocoon spiral shower
Oversized terrycloth robes by Frette
Dog-Friendly
Free Wi-Fi and $10 bar credit with In-Touch Membership
5-6PM Hosted Wine Hour Daily
Awesome and friendly staff
Location (14th Street Corridor)
Rooftop pool (weather permitting)

CONS
-----------
Open shower stall
Slow elevator

Obviously more PROS than CONS.

Walked everywhere from here. There is a convenient CVS/Pharmacy across the street to stock up on water and snacks. The nearest Metro station is a few blocks away.

RECOMMEND for walkers, foodies, and cool people who like to be in the middle of it all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Betty N
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Betty N.

Wow!! Thank you for a great review!!!

Glad to read that you enjoyed the great features of our newly renovated hotel . Isn't it great to stay at a hotel located at the heart of all great attractions?

On the other hand, please accept my apologies for experiencing a problem with our elevators. We are diligently working on that.

Please come back to visit us soon!!!

Cheers,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Location of this hotel is excellent right on 14th street NW, with easy access to major attractions and restaurants. I have stayed at this property before and had a better experience. The hotel itself was in good shape and had no problems with the elevators as people have previously commented. We booked this room via Priceline and the rate was good for this property. I would have been disappointed if I had paid a current rack rate. We were traveling with our two teenage sons and found the standard room to be very small with two double beds. I did inquire with the front desk about getting a larger room, but was told nothing was available for our first nights stay but we could check in the morning about the next night. I did check with the desk first thing in the morning and they were able to get us into a king jr suite which gave us a lot more room to spread out. We were charged 40 dollars for the upgrade which I don't understand being that I am an intouch member and should be able to get an upgrade without charge if a room is available. Just a warning for all loyalty members... none of your benefits apply if you book through a third party such as Priceline. Travelocity etc. Front desk agents are efficient but not very friendly. Coffee in the lobby is brief, if you want coffee get there early. Outside the front door is a benched area to sit and wait for cab etc. While we were waiting in this area there was a homeless man sleeping on the bench right outside the front door. He awoke and vomited all over the sidewalk and walked away. I let the front desk know, and they said they would get somebody right away. We left for a couple of hours only to return to find it was still there all over the sidewalk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Susan B.

Thank you for your review!

I do appreciate all the details on your review as it allows us to improve our service. Please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences. We do value all of our In Touch members regardless of the type of booking and I do apologize that you did not feel that way during your stay.

Please give us another opportunity in the future!!!

Washington DC
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is fantastic! I have stayed here many times before, but this was the first time post-reno. It looks absolutely wonderful. The hallways and guestroom have been touched up and look very sleek and professional. I love the beds with the leather upholstery. I read a review below re. the mattress being hard. Maybe I'm not picky, but I found that this mattress was NO different than any other Kimpton hotel that I've stayed at. I slept like a rock from the minute my head hit the pillow.

I love how quiet this hotel is. I was given an exec king room (corner) overlooking Thompson Circle. The views were spectacular. I was a little nervous that the noise of the traffic would bother me, but I didn't even notice it at all. The TV is huge and loved the iHome.

I didn't get a chance to check out Zentan this time around, but I did go down and grab a cup of coffee from the lobby and, like all Kimptons, the coffee did not disappoint. I love having the station down in the lobby. I personally think that Kimpton's coffee option is a lot cleaner (than the alternative option of a coffee maker in every guestroom; who knows how often those are cleaned (and by what)) and fresher.

Employees were friendly and helpful. I saw a family check in late at night and they had to wheel their own suitcases up to the room. Not quite sure why the bellman didn't help, but I'm sure if they had asked for assistance, it would have been provided. The employees go out of their way to help.

As someone below mentioned, you have to use your key card to gain access to the hotel at night and in the elevator. This is for your own safety. The hotel has an excellent location, but it's DC - a CITY - which means that being vigilant and having security checks is a must. As a female business traveler traveling alone, I need these protocols/procedures in place in order to sleep at night!

Thanks, Donovan House. The hotel looks fantastic and I will be referring all my friends & family. Love what was done to the rooms and the hallway carpets look terrific!

Room Tip: Exec corner king rooms overlooking Thomas Circle. Great views and huge room! (And a tub & the fa...
Green Features: It's a Kimpton so it meets Kimpton's high environmental standards: protocols in place to reuse linens and towels, recylcing programs in the room, green cleaning products, etc. The only thing I wish they had were pumps or something to minimize the amount of plastic in the toiletry products.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Amanda C.

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Love the review!!!

We look forward to having you back with us soon

Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Located on 14th street between K and L street makes this a very good location. Booking online on hotels website made this a good deal. This is a boutique hotel and I am not quite sure what that means. However, this hotel stands out from other hotels with furnitures and design. Good beds, fairly spacious rooms and a very nice 55" flat screen on the wall!

Bar on the rooftop (14th floor) and a popular (and noisy) restaurant on the ground floor. Across the street is a very good breakfast restaurant.

10 min. walk to the White House, lots of restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kennethtravelling,

Thank you for a fabulous review!!!

Reading reviews like yours make us very happy and proud!!!

Please come back to visit us soon...

Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I just returned from a 2-night stay and I was very disappointed. I usually stay at Kimptons when I can because they're unique and friendly, but this left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole chain. Upon check in I was told that we had received our requested upgrade for a Premier Suite, at an additional cost of $75 per night. I was disappointed to find that this room didn't have a bathtub, since the room description on the website says "shower and bath." I was also told at check-in that the $10 "Raid the Bar" card could also be used on room service, but I found out at check out that that's apparently not the case. The room itself was just OK; rather bland compared to other Kimptons. The bed was very hard; I could barely walk after two nights of sleeping on it. The TV remote control in the bedroom had a battery malfunction of some sort; it was hot to the touch and actually starting to melt the plastic inside. We did have drinks and small plates at the rooftop bar. It's a nice setting but seriously understaffed. There was one server trying to serve the entire area, so very slow. At one point the manager came out and gave free sushi plates to the two tables on either side of us, but blatantly ignored us. At least the location is fairly good. All in all, though, I was very let down. I'll be back to DC in two weeks, but I definitely won't be staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RebeccaGelinas
RebeccaGelinas

Thank you for your review!

We truly value your detailed review as it allows us to find ways to improve our service. I am truly dissapointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations.

If you could give us another chance in the future, please feel free to contact me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here with a bunch of friends for a bachelor party and had a great time. The hotel is brand new with renovated rooms that were designed thoughtfully. The hotel made every effort to make our stay enjoyable and even brought champagne for the groom. Great view from the King Premier corner room. Cool teacup tub in the room as well. Would highly recommend - a great value when compared to your typical cookie cutter hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian S
Brian S.

Thank you for your review!

Bachelor party at Donovan House? Love it!!! I am truly happy to hear that you had a great time with us.

Please come back to visit us soon...

NYC
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have stayed at this property many times in the past, both when it was previously part of Thompson Hotels and now as part of Kimpton Hotels. The Hotel recently refurbished every room, so things like carpets in the rooms and upholstered chairs and beds looked fresh, as did the girrafe and zebra printed terri bathrobes hanging in the closet - very cool. Check in was great - they greeted me as a Kimpton InTouch member and gave me a "Raid the MiniBar" card for members (it gives you a $10 credit when presented back to the front desk at check out for anything you ate/drank from the mini bar). I arrived early and my room was ready so they checked me in - again, a nice touch. Hotel common areas and lobby looked great. Hallways looked better than i remembered them. Room itself was noticeably fresher after the remodel. I liked the stronger lighting this time (the rooms always felt a bit dark in the past). The carpet was new and nice (dark and light grey pattern). Bed was comfortable, low to the group. Air conditioning worked great, especially as warm weather was starting up again. Free Wifi worked great - seemed more reliable than before as well. My room was a corner King and has their famous Nautilus shaped shower - hopefully you can try one of those. Toiletries were ok - except they really should consider having a few additions, including a shower gel. Only complaint about the bathroom is the towels - they were a bit dingy, not so soft and actually a bit scratchy. Perhaps they could invest in nicer, fluffier and whiter towels. Plenty of towels were provided however. Good hair dryer included in the room. Some small drawers for clothes included inside the closet, as was a safe for valuable, an iron/ironing board and what looked like a yoga mat! Mini bar had a decent selection. Prices are a bit on high side for DC, but the credit members receive helps. Room was quiet - only ever heard neighboring doors shutting but no sounds from neighboring rooms. It looks like the menu in the lobby restaurant was expanded for room service offerings as well. The hotel is very well located for being near the metro, other shops and restaurants are not far away. The only other complaint i have is with the lack of a very attentive door/bell staff. This was very inconsistent - except when i was checking out, they really were of no help t me getting cabs or helping with the door. I hailed my own cabs every time and dealt with my luggage and the doors. FYI, you also need your room key to open the front door of the hotel after 1am it seems. Elevators also require you to use your key to get to a room floor.

Room Tip: Get a room with one of the Nautilus showers
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ccgworldtraveler,

Thank you for a wonderful review!!!

While reading all the great comments, I was dissapointed to see that we failed your expectations with bathroom amenities and departure experience.

Please e-mail me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com with any future reservations you might have. I will make sure that you are having a flawless stay.