“Nice Hotel”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I would have to say overall the hotel is quite nice. My room was very clean and nicely appointed. There is a ridiculously large flat screen TV, 55" if that appeals to you. As a business traveler I don't think it was what I look for necessarily, as a hotel becomes your home away from home. A small, dark, crowded lobby is not welcoming or what I like to find after a long day at work. There is complimentary coffee in the mornings and wines, in the lobby, each day. That is a nice thing to have.

There is a beautiful rooftop area with a bar and some eating options. It is very trendy and happening. If you are in town on vacation it might be a really nice spot to stay. Front desk staff were generally very friendly. When I inquired about returning for multiple stays the individual helping me was not at all proactive, he should have simply given me the sales person's contact information, or put them in touch with me. When I had followed up in the evening, this same person was still working and had clearly done nothing to get me answers about staying in the coming weeks.

Here is one unusual observation, I saw one very tall man just about reaching the ceiling with his head in the elevator lobby. If you are much taller than 6 feet, you might find the ceilings low!

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel twice, the first time they put me on the second floor and my room smelle...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank andreaw489
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Andreaw489,

Thank you for your review!

I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your overall experience with us.

Please come back to visit us soon...

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I loved being greeted no matter the time by name everytime I entered the hotel, the staff asked how the stay was each and every time. The young gentlemen at guest services were great and gave that added touch. I loved the cocktail hour and selection. I am not one for heights, however the top floor which is where the pool is (pool closed seasonal) had a bar and lounge area with a great view of the local city sky. I would recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family and infact we are already talking about booking our next trip with this hotel again. Great Staff, Great Price and overall amenities and location for the city were wonderful.

I enjoyed the warm welcome, the friendly staff, the complimentary cocktail hour. I enjoyed our room; it was not small at all in my opinion (other than needing more drawer space), the shower was very unique and bathtub keeps the water warm (beware).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Joshua S.

Thank you for your review!!!

We are so glad to see that you had a wonderful stay with us. It always makes us so proud to see great comments about our staff.Loving it!!!

Please come back and join us soon...

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Upon arriving to the Hotel I was met by Brittany who had a very nice smile on her face. I asked her if there were any upgrades I could have. She said that I was already upgraded to a little bit larger room but I went a little further and asked for the best upgrade telling her I'd be happy to pay for it. She said there was a huge corner room with great views and she'd check into how much more it would be. When she came back she said "We're going to upgrade you for free Mr. Dorman" I couldn't believe it, it's always a fight at most Hotels and usually they say no there are no upgrades available even though the hotel isn't even close to being full. It wasn't ten minutes that I was up in my room in AWE of the view and the sheer incredibleness of it, that Brittany knocked on my door and had a bottle of wine and a cheese plate in her hands. She handed them to me and proceeded to tell me how important I was as a guest here and this was for me?? Really, wow I will be coming back here for sure!! Best experience at a hotel so far. BTW- the room is great, huge TV, gorgeous views, centrally located in DC with a great shower and bath!!

Colby D

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Colby D.,

Thank you for your review.

Wow! What a great surprise you had. Brittany is awesome and always there to surprise and delight our guests. I am very glad to read that you had an overall great stay.

Please come back and join us in the future again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Room is big and really nice! Breakfast is great and was for free although we didnt book it (got vouchers when we arrived). Parking garage is very pricy (around 25$ per night), however this is average for the area.
Location is great, subway close, but white house etc. is in walking distance!

Room Tip: Room with street view (it is not too loud)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chasi

Chasi,

Greetings from Washington, D.C.

Thank your a great review!!

We hope to see you in the future as well....

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed with friends here for 3 nights. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the rooms were clean, the location was great.

What lowers my review from very good to average is the following:

The shower had no pressure. It was a tiny rain shower flush with the ceiling which felt like a drizzle. It was impossible for us to wash our hair in this so we had to find a Blowdry bar nearby. The engineer told us that was the shower pressure throughout the hotel. Strike one.

Second was the absence of a service elevator. As a guest in a somewhat upscale hotel, I would not expect to ride the elevator with maintenance men pushing giant carts. This happened every day of my stay.

Lastly upon check in we were told the connecting rooms we were promised didn't exist in the formation we asked for. After discussion this miscommunication for at least 15 minutes they realized it did exist and we got our rooms.

This hotel has a lot of potential. If they could just address these issues it could be a great hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Elizabeth W

Laydz,

Thank you for your review!

I am so sorry to hear the troubles you experienced with during your stay. Unfortunaly we did have some challenges with our water pressure and I can only imagine how inconvenient it was for you. It is also dissapointing to hear that you were not honored with the requested room type at first.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future. We would love to have you back with us.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We traveled to Washington last week with our children and the hotel was disappointing - the double room with queen size beds was very small - smaller than it looks on the photos - you almost got claustrophobic Could not recommend to stay on this hotel...except you want tiny room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

KatrinOlga,

Opps, sorry to hear that size of our double bed room was not comfortable for you. Most of the downtown city hotels have the similar type of layout due to the location, but of course it is not an excuse.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Nice hotel in the middle of everything.

PARKING
========
Valet parking is available for $45 per day.
Parking is not included in the room rate.
Located on 14th street between L and M Street NW.

ROOM
======

PROS
---------
Upgraded to a King Deluxe (261 - 310 square feet)
Comfortable bed with 400 thread count SFERRA linens
Marble bathroom with unique cocoon spiral shower
Oversized terrycloth robes by Frette
Dog-Friendly
Free Wi-Fi and $10 bar credit with In-Touch Membership
5-6PM Hosted Wine Hour Daily
Awesome and friendly staff
Location (14th Street Corridor)
Rooftop pool (weather permitting)

CONS
-----------
Open shower stall
Slow elevator

Obviously more PROS than CONS.

Walked everywhere from here. There is a convenient CVS/Pharmacy across the street to stock up on water and snacks. The nearest Metro station is a few blocks away.

RECOMMEND for walkers, foodies, and cool people who like to be in the middle of it all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Betty N

Betty N.

Wow!! Thank you for a great review!!!

Glad to read that you enjoyed the great features of our newly renovated hotel . Isn't it great to stay at a hotel located at the heart of all great attractions?

On the other hand, please accept my apologies for experiencing a problem with our elevators. We are diligently working on that.

Please come back to visit us soon!!!