“Excellent Easter Stay”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel over the Easter weekend and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The rooms were very comfortable, modern (very neat "seashell" showers) and clean. Lobby had plenty of seating for the wine hours in the evenings which were a great chance to unwind at the end of the day and meet some new people. Staff were incredible (shout-out to Brittany), going above and beyond for us (helping co-locate rooms, included some "extras" for us after a couple things were missing). Looking forward to a return trip at the end of June and will definitely try to stay here any time I am in DC.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
DonovanGM, General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

We are so glad you had a great weekend and enjoyed our wine hour. We very much look forward to your trip back in June!!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Donovan Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

"Sunshine came softly a through my, a window today" - so sang Donovan* And so it did in my comfortable room in Donovan House, where I really enjoyed my stay on a business trip. There are lots of reviews here so my list of strong points , in no particular order, is:
1) Stylish, spacious room 2) Excellent work desk - lots of sockets and good wi-fi 3) Comfortable bed 4) Efficient quiet AC 5) Large wall mounted flatscreen TV 6) Full size iron and board 7) Evening drinks in lobby 8) Great location - easy walk to restaurants and down to White House.

There are some areas which could be improved on - the breakfast is OK but the selection is not extensive; the reception desk area is small and quickly overcrowded at check out; the shower is beautifully designed but water pressure is low.

However the plus points far outweigh the minor failings. Would definitely stay again when next in in DC.

*In case you are too young to know, Donovan is a Scottish born singer songwriter ; these are the opening lyrics of Sunshine Superman, which reached No.1 in USA back in '66 (when I was a child, I hasten to add).

Room Tip: Go high for a good view of the circle; and you get free wi-fi immediately if you sign up to the Kimp...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit! Thank you for your list of 8 items that inspired this posting. Truth be told, the Hotel was named after William Joseph Donovan or "Wild Bill" as he was known. He is best remembered for being head of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) which was the precusor to the CIA.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Decent botique hotel with some memorable rooms but the staff is lacking any charm, technical issues abound and the common areas are pretty claustrophobic.

Here's some points to consider:

- Tiny lobby that feels incredibly claustrophobic.
- The rooms are somewhat cool, with these weird seashell showers which are kind of cool but have like zero water pressure. It's nearly impossible to get yourself fully wet without a lot of effort.
- My key stopped working four different times during my stay.
- Due to the key issues, I was approved for a late check-out, which didn't stop housekeeping from knocking twelve (we counted) times and John from the front desk calling repeatedly asking us for up-to-the-minute updates about when we'd be leaving. It was really inconsiderate.
- Room service is really limited.
- No service elevators. Be prepared to share your elevator with dirty laundry bins, maintenance carts, etc.
- The lobby is cramped.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank for your feedback. We are sorry about the miscommuication with late check out and all your key issues. This will definitely be addressed with staff here for our future guests.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here in December 2010 with my future husband, on our way up from Kentucky to NY. What a lovely hotel, great design and layout, wish we had more time to investigate the D.C. Area but unfortunately we were just passing through. Anyway the Donavan House is a great option if in the DC area albeit business or pleasure!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We are so happy you had a great visit eventhough it was short. Come again soon and spend some time with us next time around!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Looking for a D.C. hotel for a weekend getaway? I recommend that you try out the Donovan House.

The Donovan House, a Kimpton Hotel, is a great choice for first time D.C. travelers. Maintaing the high standards of the Kimpton Chain, this hotel goes above expectations.

I've actually had the opportunity to stay at the Donovan House twice.

Most recently, I've been there to see the cherry blossoms in all their glory.

The rooms are very modern and sleek. Our room had a wonderful view of the roundabout. The light came across our window perfectly in the late evening as well as kissed our foreheads when we awoke in the morning.

I recommend asking for a room on a higher floor so you can see more of the square/roundabout.

The roof top bar is very chic and worth a visit. If weather permits, I suggest sharing a few drinks with a friend or lover while watching the sun set.

Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to eat at the restaurant in the hotel. I hear that it's very good and highly recommended.

So, if you're looking for a chic hotel at a reasonable price, I suggest checking into the Donovan House.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a great view of the neighborhood.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great comments and we are glad you were able to see the Cherry Blossoms! Next you come back, please try our restaurant!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I would have to say overall the hotel is quite nice. My room was very clean and nicely appointed. There is a ridiculously large flat screen TV, 55" if that appeals to you. As a business traveler I don't think it was what I look for necessarily, as a hotel becomes your home away from home. A small, dark, crowded lobby is not welcoming or what I like to find after a long day at work. There is complimentary coffee in the mornings and wines, in the lobby, each day. That is a nice thing to have.

There is a beautiful rooftop area with a bar and some eating options. It is very trendy and happening. If you are in town on vacation it might be a really nice spot to stay. Front desk staff were generally very friendly. When I inquired about returning for multiple stays the individual helping me was not at all proactive, he should have simply given me the sales person's contact information, or put them in touch with me. When I had followed up in the evening, this same person was still working and had clearly done nothing to get me answers about staying in the coming weeks.

Here is one unusual observation, I saw one very tall man just about reaching the ceiling with his head in the elevator lobby. If you are much taller than 6 feet, you might find the ceilings low!

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel twice, the first time they put me on the second floor and my room smelle...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank andreaw489
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Andreaw489,

Thank you for your review!

I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your overall experience with us.

Please come back to visit us soon...

Cheers,

Elif H.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I loved being greeted no matter the time by name everytime I entered the hotel, the staff asked how the stay was each and every time. The young gentlemen at guest services were great and gave that added touch. I loved the cocktail hour and selection. I am not one for heights, however the top floor which is where the pool is (pool closed seasonal) had a bar and lounge area with a great view of the local city sky. I would recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family and infact we are already talking about booking our next trip with this hotel again. Great Staff, Great Price and overall amenities and location for the city were wonderful.

I enjoyed the warm welcome, the friendly staff, the complimentary cocktail hour. I enjoyed our room; it was not small at all in my opinion (other than needing more drawer space), the shower was very unique and bathtub keeps the water warm (beware).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Joshua S.

Thank you for your review!!!

We are so glad to see that you had a wonderful stay with us. It always makes us so proud to see great comments about our staff.Loving it!!!

Please come back and join us soon...

Elif H.