“No attention to details”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #33 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia, Maryland
“No attention to details”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I wanted to love the Donovan Hotel, I really did. I've always been attracted to the cool, hip decor of the Kimpton's boutique hotels from afar. And this past weekend, I decided to take the plunge.

The good: The location is phenomenal for easy access to everything in the city. There is a curbside valet. The lobby decor and room decor is cool. Nice view from room. Four USB ports and two desktop outlets, is a win. The rooftop pool has a spectacular city view. The cocoon shaped shower with rainfall spout. That's it.

The bad: No attention to details! The valets seemed to have a lot of trouble understanding the instructions, do not park my car. I was taking the keys with me as we were dropping our bags into our rooms and leaving within 10 minutes of check in. We were asked for our keys twice after making this statement. And again by two different people while walking back to our car to leave, after coming from our room.

Arriving in the room, we immediately began to inspect the digs. I have always been a fan of the fully stocked mini fridge. Although the rates for each item were ridiculous, I'd still prefer to have it as an option for those middle of the night cravings. I quickly discovered that I would not be using this fridge for my cravings as several of the soda cans and liquors were covered in some sticky substance. (perhaps a soda spilled by a previous resident) The hotel should be cleaning, if not replacing the contents of the fridge after each guest leaves.

On our first evening at the hotel (Saturday, May 24th/ Room 703), my son decided he would like to see the pool. It was late, as we'd just arrived back from dinner. I explained to my son that the pool closed at 7, but that I would let him view the pool from the closed door. We were a bit surprised when we arrived to the 14th floor and there was a bit of a party atmosphere. My intention was to let my son view the pool then return back to our room. There was a very rude manager working the rooftop who barked at my family and I "the rooftop is at capacity and you wouldn't be able to bring him up here anyway." The last time that I checked, hotels should give their guests the utmost respect and hospitality at all times. A better comment would have been "I'm sorry madame, but we've reached capacity for the evening function. I see that you have your child with you. Children are welcome to visit the pool from 10 am to 7 pm. We hope that you will return tomorrow" If proper hospitality cannot be given, then the person should not be working in the hospitality industry.

Sunday morning, an un-uniformed maid attempted to give our room service. We denied entry.

Later Sunday, after returning to our room, we noticed that our room had been serviced. All of our towels were removed and replaced... leaving us with no wash cloths. This is the first time that I have EVER had room service remove all washcloths from the room and not return with others.

We decided to try our luck again with the rooftop pool at approximately 5 p.m. This time, we did not have our child in tow. We arrived to see plenty of chairs/cabanas for relaxing. What we did not find were towels. I had to call the lobby, from the pool, in order to have additional towels brought. What I also saw appeared to be an abandoned mini bar area. Why would there not be a bartender to service the rooftop hotel pool? The final straw for the rooftop pool were a particular guests' children. While I was lounging poolside, three children arrived to the pool and decided to cannon ball repeatedly into the water. The first time, the parent sheepishly apologized. The tenth, Eleventh, and TWELTH times, the parent failed to acknowledge, so I moved away from the pool. Although the blame ultimately lies with the parent who was unwilling to control their children, the pool should definitely have a sign or rules posted that instruct guests not to "cannon ball" into the modest sized pool.

We did have several drinks at the rooftop bar/lounge. These were prepared well. The "hot plate" of Ramen Noodles, was delivered cold.

We went back to our rooms to order the room service and I was poisoned. The restaurant decided to put meat into a non-meat dish. I am a pescatarian and I continue to be sick from this negligence. (full review here: yelp.com/biz/zentan-rest…)

There were several other details that the hotel just missed the mark on. The sinks drain way too slowly, which is disgusting considering that they're a modern square flat shape. This means when brushing your teeth and spitting you can expect to see the residue for a good 5 minutes before it washes down.

The elevators are too tight/small (I wear a size 6 for reference, so I'm not very large) The space felt confining with 4 people sharing the elevator with one luggage bag each.

Overall, I would not choose to stay at this location again. There are too many areas in which the hotel is neglectful of its responsibilities to patrons.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Laureniam,

Thank you for your review.

We truly value your feedback as it allows us to improve our product and services. I would like to personally apologoize for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that your review is shared with our team to make sure that those kind of experiences are not happening in the future.

We are looking forward to having you back with us for more enjoyable stays in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel in April 2014.
Advantages of staying at this hotel
-rooms are large,clean, comfortable and well designed
-the location is great, 10 minutes walk to the White House, 15 min to the Washington Monument and 30 min to Lincoln Memorial
- 20 min walk from the Union Station(if you came by train from NY)
-free WiFi for Kimpton In touch members
We would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Corner king executive rooms have great views facing Thomas Circle Visit Washington in April (before...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anivasy
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Anivasy,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and pointing out all the great locations that are in a walking distance from us. I also love all the beautiful pictures you have posted on tripadvisor.

We are so looking forward to having you back with us.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is one of those modern, beautiful boutique hotels, and it has a beautiful rooftop bar (amazing views), hipster lounge, and perfect location. The pool is really only for looking at, so don't expect to go swimming here. It's also a great location with several top restaurants within walking distance. Rooms are a little small with no bathtub, but that's what I expect at an urban boutique hotel. My only complaint was that the elevators were horribly slow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for a great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We got bumped from a sister hotel in DC on a trip for my birthday and honeymoon. It was really disappointing but the Donovan House turned that all around. After being bumped to a double room, they upgraded our room the second night to an amazing junior suite with soaking tub, great view, provided a sweet card, champagne and dessert. This turned it all around and I would recommend them for special occasions as well as your other visits to DC.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding. We are so happy to turn the negative experience to positive one. We hope to see you back for your anniversary celebrations....
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Before I arrived I received an email from the manager confirming my request for a room on a high floor with two beds away from the elevator. When I got to the hotel the room I was first given hit two out of three -- a king bed! Called the desk and they immediately took care of the problem and gave me two coupons for breakfast! The room was nicely appointed - my daughter especially liked the translucent "cocoon" showers that come into the room. The roof deck pool is a great spot for coffee in the morning or a drink at night.

While we do prefer the Kimptons nearer to Dupont (in order: the Palomar and Madera) this was a nice change.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for choosing our Hotel during your most recent visit to Washington, D.C. area. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival; thrilled to hear that it was resolved to your satisfaction. We can't wait to have you back in the future.
Rocky River, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great location, friendly and helpful staff. Our room was smallish, but still more than adequate, with enjoyable modern decor, a very comfortable bed, and a clean, recently-updated bathroom. Good value for this area of D.C. Parking is pricey - nearby lots are more reasonable if you're willing to do a little searching and walk. The fitness center is small, but I mostly had it to myself in the early morning and I was able to do a basic workout and cardio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for choosing our Hotel during your visit to Washington, D.C. area. We are looking forward to having you back with us in the future.
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel has wonderful rooms that are large and well designed. The rooftop bar is a treat and very relaxing. Another great kimpton. The only downside is the gym which is small and could use better or more varied equipment. Clearly a hotel which I would stay in again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We can't wait to have you back with us