“Ok, not the best”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was sorely disappointed with my stay here. It's not that the hotel itself did anything wrong per se, however I found my experience here mostly enjoyable and not worth the price. I had accepted a "deal" on Hotwire, only to find out later that the discount I received was the same discount granted to AAA Members and seniors.

I later learned that college-aged folks enjoy staying overnight so they can party on the rooftop bar where there is a pool that is closed at night.

The hotel was small, with narrow confined rooms, odd decor at best. The bed looked to have an incomplete canopy that could fall at any moment. The shower looked to be a space shuttle ready for take-off.

The staff was generally nice, though not everyone was the most accommodating.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

TourLocalLife,

Thank you for your review!

I am very dissapointed to read that we could not meet your overall expectations.

Our rooms are newly renovated but truly sorry to hear that they are not to your liking. We do host special occasions such as wedding receptions and different type of catering events at our hotel. I do hope that you were not disturbed by that as it should not be heard from our guest rooms.

If you decide to come back to visit us in the future, please reach out to me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com with any requests or questions you might have.

Cheers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Pros: 90% of staff is friendly & on top of their game; nice restaurant; good security features for a city hotel; cute rooms; nice desk in room; cute robes; good clothes iron in room.

Not so great: Room size a bit on small side (although for a city hotel, I suppose that could be expected); Failed to leave breakfast order menu in room after first night (no-no for business traveler who needs to work from room in mornings over breakfast); not the best bathroom and shower design - showerhead so close to wall that you cant truly get much of yourself under it) - although it does look really cool. Restaurant serves "small plates" - no entrees - so you have to order a bunch of small dishes. They get very busy and service and food delivery times go downhill. So if you are there for business rather than "experience" better to get dinner in before it gets too late - otherwise it will take quite awhile.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Zmia,

Thank you for your review!

I truly appreciate your constructive feedback as this is the best way to improve our service and products. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to correct our service

We hope to see you soon...

Reviewed 6 June 2014

i've stayed here a couple of times while traveling for business in DC. great location just blocks from White House and McPherson Sq metro stop. it's a boutique hotel and wonderfully quirky and stylish. The spiral showers are the talk of anyone staying here! Staff is very accommodating which I was a bit surprised at since my experience with staff at other boutique hotels has been less than positive. Cost is relative to other places in the area.. it won't be cheap.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie P

Julie P.,

Thank you for a great review!

It is great to read that you truly enjoyed your stays with us. I love reading reviews like yours where true Kimpton experience is enlivened.

We look forward to having you back with us!!!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been meaning to write this review since March 2014. I am an Special Event Planner. I work with many hotels in the DC area. Donovan House is a treasure. Managers wine hour every week night. Awesome bar wonderful food choices. Front desk staff totally amazing...Brittany and Kevin...Kudos to you...Marina Wagner, know exactly how to present and represent her Kimpton Property. All the rooms are different...Donovan House, I will see you in October. Due to the great service, I will also be using Hotel Monaco as well. Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory

Room Tip: Don't bother going out for dinner, dine at the restaurant in the hotel. Prices are fair and dri...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Jenine 617,

Wow!!! What a great review!

I truly enjoyed reading your comments and personally thanked our staff for exceeding your expectations. It always make me feel so proud to be part of this great team.

I would love to personally meet you when you return in October.

Thank you and see you soon!!!

Elif H

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel for a little getaway in late May 2014 and the hotel exceeded our expectations. We arrived around 11am on a Tuesday and were given access to our room immediately. The rooms were nice and clean. We really loved the spiral shower and our "city view" was fabulous even though we were only on the 5th floor! The rooftop pool was a lovey haven after a long day of traveling. We ordered cocktails and sushi from the Zentan Restaurant... probably some of the best sushi we have ever had! The best surprise came at 5pm when the lobby transforms itself into a "happy hour lounge" and offers a "free wine hour" until 6pm. You have your choice of red or white wine and can have as many refills as you like. They also feature complimentary appetizers and sushi from the Zentan Restaurant, along with some of the most delicious spicy trail mix. The staff was nice and friendly and knew us by the end of our stay. They recommended great restaurants, lounges and things to do around the city. But one of the best lounges we encountered was the Donovan's own Rooftop Pool Lounge which opens at 6pm! Great atmosphere, reasonably priced drinks and gorgeous views! We also took advantage of the free bike rentals which was a wonderful way to view the D.C. area. Needless to say we loved our stay and the Donovan House and would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a "city view"
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elif H, General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Vivien,

Thank your choosing our Hotel for your little gateway. I am so thrilled to hear that you had a great time and we exceeded your expectations.

We can not wait to have you back with us soon.

Cheers

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Nice features: complimentary wine early evening, friendly staff, location, easy access to Metro, comfortable bedding, beautiful views and serenity of rooftop pool/lounge in day time. Just eh: hipster/ dark décor a little depressing; pool not ideal for kids because small and intimate; rooftop pool closed in evenings; attached restaurant very pricey and offerings mostly limited to sushi; small lobby. Overall, I felt the hip hype was overrated. This might have been a more ideal for a couple, but I brought my two kids and found it to be a bit too 'adult' for the kids (i.e.: be quiet and well behaved in the pool).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank serenaleland

Serenaleland,

Thank you for your review!

I do appreciate you pointing the goods and areas to improve on your review.

As much as we would love to keep our pool open for later hours, it is closed for the security and safety of our guests when the bar is open for both internal and external guests.

Your valuable feedback is also shared with our restaurant team, so thank you.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Thank you for staying with us.

Cheers,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This Kimpton hotel continues the Kimpton brand philosophy of hipness - there's a log of eggplant paint on the walls and the Star Trek transporter showers are good for a chuckle or two (although you won't fit if you're 6' 6" or taller). One can imagine Kimpton properties as the official hotel of Austin Powers.

Past the fun mid-century touches and the egg chairs suspended in the lobby, however, the hotel still has to function as a hotel. In that, this property comes up average at best.

This was a renovation of a property at Thomas Circle, perhaps the DC Circle farthest away from any good Metro connections or stops; luckily, many good eateries are within a short walk. The elevators are slow, small and retro (to put it mildly). Everywhere in this property, ceilings are low and hallways are NYC-style small. Rooms themselves are reasonably ample, but then you open up the closet to hang up clothes, and you realize that's impossible because the in-room safe and three drawers are taking up all but the top 2 feet of space below the closet rod. I ended up having to hang shirts above the second bed, taking advantage of the completely non-functional but definitely hip trim above the beds.

One thing this property does right: The TVs are practically a religious experience. Probably 60 inches, inset into a decorative border that gives you a true cinema experience from the comfort of your bed. Good HD channels to boot.

Unfortunately, location and lack of practical detail would probably steer me away from this particular Kimpton property in the future. When you reno a property in this day and age, it's possible to be both kitschy-hip AND practical. Kimpton needs to learn this.

Room Tip: If you need closet space, ask specifically at check-in if the assigned room has a clear closet - or...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DenverBrian
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear DenverBrian,

Thank you for sharing your valuable and detailed feedback with us.

Our elevators are scheduled to be renewed very soon and we will certainly take your feedback into consideration for our future renovations.

I appreciate the details on your review as this is the best way to improve our service and products for our valuable guests.

Hope you will give us another chance in the future.