“Donovan Dream”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights here & what a bonus for a US hotel from the free wine hour @ nibbles in the evening to the complimentary breakfast or cocktails. The rooms are well appointed & ours had a view of the church across the road. It is a walk (flat & doable even for me 8 months post total knee replacement ) to all the major sites. Really pleased with this choice. Free wifi is an added bonus.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank clovellyjel
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

clovellyjel,

Thank you for a great review!!

Wonderful to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

Knee replacement? Ouch! Hope you took an advantage of our location and visited more sightseeing areas - with using metro -.

Please come back and visit us soon!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Donovan Hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel property, like all Kimpton properties, aims to set itself apart from the crowd with its design, style, amenities and customer service. In my few days here, the hotel did not disappoint except in one small area listed below.

Positives:
- Design/uniqueness of the room
- Good amenities. The brand of amenities advertised is not what they used in room, but quality nonetheless.
- Particularly appreciated the in-room yoga mat accompanied by in-room, in-tv fitness programs.
- Good linens and towels - a must!
- Good internet connect and complimentary for Kimpton loyalty members
- Spacious room, comfortable bed.
- The restaurant and rooftop bar/pool area very well put together and relaxing. The rooftop bar was a bit of a "scene" in DC, but did not feel over crowded or unwelcome as a guest.
- Plug-ins! Something easy to overlook unless they aren't available. Thanks for making them plenty!

Negative:
- Lighting! Particularly in the bathroom, it was tough to see so I did things like make-up application in the main room near the window. This was inconvenient and a bit of a pain. It seems the lighting that was installed was in-line with the style of the room, but it was a bit of a fail for this girl.
- Water pressure. The fixtures in the shower were very sleek, but lacked any real water pressure. Sounds weird - BUT - if you are a girl with lots of hair, may want to think twice. It was that bad.
- The elevators were a little slow, but nothing out of the ordinary.Worth mentioning.

Overall, this property delivered on everything it promised to. I thought the price paid was a little high, but it was high everywhere in the town that week. It is in a convenient area in DC and walkable to the fun new restaurants on 14th street north of Thomas circle, as well as south into downtown DC and relatively close to the metro - five blocks(ish).

Some of the staff were very amenable and helpful (namely the restaurant, roof top - so nice- and some of the front desk), however my experience wasn't consistent throughout. In fact I encountered one particular individual a few times who answered my questions, but made me feel like I was an inconvenience. When I had a follow-up questions (and no I didn't ask a million), I decided to forgo it when I saw this person was my only option. I'm not sure this is the "wow" customer service they strive for, but I certainly wasn't ignored and it was one person.

I would stay here again, particularly for the way the hotel goes out of its way to make you feel comfortable in everything they do. Next time I'll request a gold fish too!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Liz I

Thank you for a 5 star review!!!

It is so wonderful to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I l really enjoyed reading all the details of your review.

Also please accept my apologies for the challenges you experienced during your stay. Please know that we are working very hard on improving our guest elevators.

Hope to have you back with us in the future!

Cheers

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Donovan House -- we stayed there one night for my friend's birthday party. It was very comfortable and had a beautiful & romantic mood to it. The shell shower was interesting but it kept pooling water on the outer part of the inner shell (does that make any sense at all?)

Overall, very comfortable, a bit pricey, may come again with an SO.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Carolotus,

Thank you for your review!

Great location to choose for a birthday celebration. Hope your friends also had a great time.

We look forward to having you back with us to celebrate many more special occasions

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I just spent 4 days here and enjoyed it immensely. It has a boutique and European feel and love the pool deck. Service in restaurant was great and the food was fabulous. I loved the location which is a short walk to Mall or just rent a bike or use one of the hotels.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistanr General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Mymaorcas,

Thank you for your review!

So wonderful to hear that you had a great time with us.

We look forward to having you back with us soon!!

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I've checked in to the Donovan on several and I came again bringing an entire business group this time, based on a good past record with Kimpton properties. My room was small and in need of repair and cleaning. Take a look at accompanying picture to see the sideboard of sink where you place your toothbrush. I also found the front desk clerks dismissive when I enquired about needing another day. I had a similar experience at The Helix in Washington recently, so this is hopefully two exceptions to otherwise good reviews for the Kimpton hotels.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Rider 123,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House Hotel for your group's visit to Washington, D.C. area. Knowing that you have many options to choose from, we truly appreciate having you with us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. If you could kindly reach out to me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com I would truly appreciate it.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was sorely disappointed with my stay here. It's not that the hotel itself did anything wrong per se, however I found my experience here mostly enjoyable and not worth the price. I had accepted a "deal" on Hotwire, only to find out later that the discount I received was the same discount granted to AAA Members and seniors.

I later learned that college-aged folks enjoy staying overnight so they can party on the rooftop bar where there is a pool that is closed at night.

The hotel was small, with narrow confined rooms, odd decor at best. The bed looked to have an incomplete canopy that could fall at any moment. The shower looked to be a space shuttle ready for take-off.

The staff was generally nice, though not everyone was the most accommodating.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

TourLocalLife,

Thank you for your review!

I am very dissapointed to read that we could not meet your overall expectations.

Our rooms are newly renovated but truly sorry to hear that they are not to your liking. We do host special occasions such as wedding receptions and different type of catering events at our hotel. I do hope that you were not disturbed by that as it should not be heard from our guest rooms.

If you decide to come back to visit us in the future, please reach out to me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com with any requests or questions you might have.

Cheers

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Pros: 90% of staff is friendly & on top of their game; nice restaurant; good security features for a city hotel; cute rooms; nice desk in room; cute robes; good clothes iron in room.

Not so great: Room size a bit on small side (although for a city hotel, I suppose that could be expected); Failed to leave breakfast order menu in room after first night (no-no for business traveler who needs to work from room in mornings over breakfast); not the best bathroom and shower design - showerhead so close to wall that you cant truly get much of yourself under it) - although it does look really cool. Restaurant serves "small plates" - no entrees - so you have to order a bunch of small dishes. They get very busy and service and food delivery times go downhill. So if you are there for business rather than "experience" better to get dinner in before it gets too late - otherwise it will take quite awhile.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Zmia,

Thank you for your review!

I truly appreciate your constructive feedback as this is the best way to improve our service and products. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to correct our service

We hope to see you soon...

Elif H.