“A hidden gem”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place was recommended by my cousin to stay while visiting her. Great friendly hotel in middle of urban jungle. I recommend this hotel to stay. Only regret was not taking advantage of all amenities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Mtalavera27,

Thank you for a wonderful review!

So glad to read about your experience!

Please come back and join us in the future again...

Reviewed 27 June 2014

.I went to Washington, DC with a large group. We stayed at the Donovan House. The room was very comfortable, firm but comfy mattress and pillows. Higher end sheets and towels. Very clean, more than adequate sized bathroom. Room very quiet. Breakfast and wine hour included with price of room. Very nice breakfast, juices, fruit, yogurt, eggs, hard boiled and scrambled, I loved the bacon, breakfast potatoes and pastries. All very nice. Roof top bar and pool. Gorgeous view of the city. Hotel conveniently located, nice restaurants within walking distance. Staff will go out of their way to accommodate their guests. It's a Kimpton Hotel and they tend to be trendy. This one was. I would go back again. I do like the Kimpton Hotels.

1  Thank Katherine G

Katherine G,

Thank you for a great view!

Super happy to read that you had a great experience with us. As you said, we are located in the middle of all great attractions; our rooms are newly renovated and staff is wonderful.

Please come back and visit us in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our group of 41 gardeners just returned from a five day stay in June, 2014 at this elegant, very clean hotel. We had a buffet breakfast and wine hour included with our package. We received attentive service and experienced very quiet rooms in the heart of a big city. We could walk to the monuments and discovered this hotel was only 15 minutes from many of the gardens we came to enjoy. The rooftop pool area was a lovely spot in the morning to read the paper and enjoy a coffee. In the evening this spot became a lively music filled spot with great panoramas of the city. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Hedy

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and heard no traffic sounds.

HYW2014,

Thank you for an excellent review!

We truly enjoyed having Master Gardeners group with us. It is great to read that you enjoyed your overall experience and we hope to see you in the future as well.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed there as a group of 41 master gardeners from Cleveland Ohio between June 18 to June 22. The location of the hotel is ideal for touring DC. It is 3 blocks from the White House and 2 blocks from Dupont Circle or NW 14 street restaurants district. In the morning we toured around DC admiring beautiful gardens and at night we dined at restaurants near by. After dinning we rested in a room totally chic and comfortable. In the morning the spiral shower sends down gentle water sprout that was totally refreshing. After shower we had their continental breakfast consisting of fresh fruits, coffee, bacon, eggs, and a variety of baked goods. Would I stay there again, without a doubt. Will I recommend this hotel to others, the answer is positively YES.

Room Tip: Rooms face Thomas Circle
1  Thank pepperpike2013

pepperpike2013,

Thank you for your review!

We truly enjoyed having Master Gardeners group with us. Absoutely loved the wine hour gatherings!!!

Please come back to visit us in the future...

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I took my 11-year-old son to Washington DC to see the monuments, museums and White House and we stayed at this fabulous, small hotel. There is a pool on the roof and it overlooks most of D.C. There is a kind of "spy theme" in the hotel which made it extra fun for him. Upon arrival the hotel gave him a gold fish to stay in the room with us which he instantly loved. The room is impeccable and the staff is extremely professional. Wake up and come to the ultra modern but small lobby for coffee and copies of the Washington Post, the New York Times, and a wall mounted TV with political news of what's going on in Congress and the world. What makes this hotel extra special is the staff just outside the front door. They will get a cab for you instantly. They will tell you how to get where you are going. They are attentive, helpful, friendly, and smiling all the time. D.C. is a busy, bustling, and vibrant city and this hotel keeps up with the pace splendidly. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe king. Room is small but very modern, quiet, private, and immaculate. Everything is n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Voyager 310,

Thank you for a wonderful review!

I will share your comments with my door staff and thank them personally for providing you with a great experience.

Hope to have you back with us soon

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having read TA reports apprehensive about stay, but need not have worried. Pleasant and fast registration. Room clean presentable and inviting. Although not great amount of storage it proved adequate. View from 11th floor over Thomas Circle icing on cake.
Pool decorative more than functional, but area nice.
Need to ask for coffee maker as not standard in room.
Great touch is the wine at 5pm each night.
All in all good stay and would use again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank spatan

Spatan

Greetings from Washington, D.C. and thank you for your review!

It is so wonderful to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I absolutely love the view of Thomas Circle from our hotel as well, isn't it breath-taking? For your future stays, please do not hesitate to ask for coffee maker upon your arrival. We will be happy to deliver one to your room.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love almost everything about this hotel! The location is perfect and easy to get to and from, the service was fantastic, and my room was amazing! I love that the rooms have more of a trendy and modern vibe, almost futuristic - especially the pod-like shower (which I might add took a little getting used to since there is no door and it's in a bit of a spiralish shape, ha!). I also loved having Zentan Restaurant as part of the facilities, it was a great place to have a few cocktails, enjoy some fabulous sushi and just relax. The restaurant is definitely popular as it does fill up very quickly with happy hour goers and does tend to get loud.

The only bummer I have is that there were areas of the hotel that needed updating (for instance the walls near the 1st floor elevators were ripped and showed their age). Since I was visiting in March and it was still rather chilly, I wasn't able to enjoy the rooftop pool or bar, but when I'm able to visit again, I will make sure to get up there!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Booty P

Thank you for your review!

I am very happy to read that you had a great stay with us. I also have very exciting news to share! We will be renovating our lobby over the next few months. So please come back and join us to see the new design in the future.