“Wonderful Suite in DC”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Amazing suite for husbands 50th Birthday! high floor with great views. Best suite we stayed in for a while with separate lounge, bedroom, large bathroom and another WC! It was like a mini apartment. Clean, well stocked, and gifts galore from front desk - sweets, chocolates, wine and free breakfasts thrown in when our room wasnt ready for check in!

Another great location, and a 10 minute run to the Mall and White House.

Walk a couple blocks north to a vibrant area of bars & restaurants!!

the wonderful bike service has a stop outside the hotel and is the easiest way to get round the city.

Didnt eat in restaurant or drink in the bar (as DC has so many fab other bars you have to try!!)
Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can!! Awesome rooms and great size!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuperScotsGal
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

SuperScotsGal,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate your husband's birthday. I am truly thrilled to read that you had a memorable stay with us. It sounds like you stayed at our Donovan House Suite which is our best and largest room.

Please come back and stay with us again,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Donovan Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at the Donovan House. And it is an interesting hotel (particularly the nautilus-inspired showers, though they are more a fun idea than a useful shower), but after the customer service experience I had there I'm definitely not coming back.

First and foremost, I just got done with my FIFTH attempt to get a copy of my bill from them. FIVE TIMES! I asked for an emailed copy when I checked out ("Of course, we'll have it right away to you BlueBear"), I called twice to request the bill after the emails never arrived ("I'll get that right to you..."), emailed begging for a copy of my bill (no response) and just called again, frustrated. I received my bill but zero recognition of what a pain in the rear it was to get it "Maybe you misspelled your email in your profile or have you checked your spam filter or maybe you got it but deleted it..."). An apology for making me contact you FIVE TIMES to get a copy of my bills was not forthcoming.

Next, check-in sucked. Though there were two people at the desk (and only one helping another guest), the available employee waited four minutes until she acknowledged me, then impatiently waved me to the counter. "What's the name?" she said, as if I'd been keeping her waiting. I missed the evening wine reception by 10 minutes, but there was no chance of a glass of wine at this Kimpton (unlike most others in the area, which promptly offer a glass from behind the counter).

The floors are keyed to the room keys. Very secure, yes? Yes. But they are also very difficult to operate. I had to ride down to the ground floor twice to get someone to put in my floor - they said they've had some issues with "water damage" recently, whatever that means. Secure...but highly annoying.

When I requested a hot water pot and tea bags, that is precisely what I got - a hot water pot whose automatic turn-off feature (a fire safety issue) was either disabled or broken, and three tea bags. I requested decaf, anything without caffeine. I got English Breakfast, and two "light caffeine" bags. No cups for the tea. I put it in the water glasses and tried not to burn my fingers.

Guests arriving in the evening will get to share the lift with the drunken company of people coming up or down from the raucous rooftop bar/pool, which to be honest is pretty awesome looking if you're looking for a loud, lively party scene but is no good for anyone looking for anything quieter. Avoid the top floor rooms at all costs, it is not only humid and hot in the rooms (due to the proximity to the pool, of course) but plenty of guests looking for quiet spots are chatting on their phones, etc. in the spaces outside the guest rooms on the top floor.

In the morning it was difficult to find a place to enjoy the complimentary morning coffee due to the abundant number of people appearing to just be hanging out in the lounge using the outlets to charge various cellular devices, mostly cellphones. Not drinking coffee, just hanging out.

Overall, can't recommend this place in the slightest but if it weren't for the egregious issues I had getting a copy of my bill I would at least elevate this to three stars. Pro tip, Donovan House: even if you do force guests to bend over backwards to get copies of their bills, you can avoid 3500 character one-star reviews with a simple but sincere apology for the trouble caused.

Room Tip: Anything but the top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear BlueBear92,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry to read about your experience. I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences, so if you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hotel was great - excellent location, great breakfast. The staff was helpful and the room was quite nice and very clean. The people that staffed the front desk were very helpful to our group. We enjoyed the happy hour in the hotel lobby because it was a good way to connect with others from our bus trip.

Room Tip: We had a room that had a great view of the circle below.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo d
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Jo d,

Thank you for your review!

I am very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our wine hours are absolutely the BEST and great way to connect.

We hope to see you during your future visits to DC.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel on a business trip in May.
We stayed for three nights.
Lovely bedroom, very spacious, clean and comfortable.
Nice roof top pool area with a bar. Great in the evening sunshine.
Very well located - short walk to lively bars/ restaurants and also to the touristy things like The White House and the museums etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...... And join their ( free ) loyalty club in advance to get free wifi includ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Moonzo

Moonzo,

Thank you for an excellent review. I am very happy to read that you had a great stay with us.

We look forward to having you back to Donovan House.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at a Kimpton Hotel in Washington DC...Donovan House.

We've stayed at Kimpton hotels several times in various cities and have always found them to be excellent.

The Donovan House met the standard....but one employee stood out. From meeting us at the front door and quickly taking care of our car.....to then being at the front desk with our claim check.....to recommending a restaurant....to offering complementary drink tickets....to being cheerful and welcoming....."JOHN D" exceeded expectations.

If you stay at Donovan House in Washington, DC and encounter "JOHN D"....you won't be disappointed.

Bobbing 2

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the second floor at the front of the hotel....bright lights shine all night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Bobbing2,

Thank you for your review!

Wow!! What a great recognition for John D. He is awesome and we are very lucky to have him as part of our team. I will personally thank him for his outstanding performance.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff was friendly, the atmosphere was trendy elegant, and the beds and linens where comfortable. The hotel was conveniently located within walking distance of everything and even if you don't feel like walking no cab ride cost me more then $8.00. The mini bar had a large variety of selection. The pool is ok but a little small. Overnight parking is a bit pricey, and the restaurant isn't anything to rave about and my french toast for breakfast was burnt. I was not happy with the constant flow of non guest traffic in the elevators heading to the rooftop club. There was nothing stopping these visitors from getting off on any floor and I felt this as a security risk. I can't tell you about the grand bathrooms the hotel raves of because they stuck us in a handicap room without notice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coreym207

Dear coreym207,

Thank you for your review and detailed comments about your experience.

As you mentioned, our hotel is located in the center of so many great attractions and also newly renovated with great products. On the other hand, I am so sorry the read about the inconveniences you experienced and please accept my sincere apologies. I hope it will not stop you from coming back to us.

Thank you for choosing us and hope to have you back soon...

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff at Donovan House are absolutely top notch! Brittany at the front desk was a particular stand out during our most recent visit. Her infectious smile and "Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can help you with" attitude combined to turn a mixed business/personal trip into a delightful getaway for me and my wife.

Make sure you take the time to visit Zentan as well as the Rooftop pool/bar.

I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the circle have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Sailor6651,

Thank you for a great review!

What a great recognition for Brittany. She is absolutely outstanding and great asset to our team.
I will personally thank her for exceeding your expectations.

Please come back and visit us again in the future.