“Not so impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha
“Not so impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend trip which was myself and my 5 year old. My first issue was before I booked I emailed the hotel and asked about the area and hotel since I would be traveling with a small child alone. I wanted to know if it was a good area and close to the subways before I booked. It took two weeks for a response and it was so short and non-helpful I was actually surprised at the response.
The location is about 5 blocks from the subway. Very easy to get around. There is a drug store across the street for forgotten items.
The hotel lobby is very small and modern. There is a lot of traffic thru the lobby. Especially at night.It is a good hotel for couples and singles but not for small children.
The halls are in need of updating.
The room was large and modern looking. Cleaning was hit and miss. My 5 year old really enjoyed the large tub, it was like a mini pool to play in. The large pod type shower in the room is white and light does carry thru from the bathroom and light it up in the middle of the night.The curtains are dark but not black out type, when the sun comes up it pours in the room from the top and sides. Hard for sleeping in or napping with a little one.
The room was updated but just not my type. I equated it to the expression of putting lipstick on a pig. It looks good at first glance, but upon a closer look it appears to have been a quick remodel. A friend we visited in DC gave me the history of the hotel in the past and it was all clear why the hotel just had a strange vibe.
Overall for the price we paid it was ok. When I return to DC this fall, I will check out other options.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rjsmom1117
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear rjsmom1117,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry to read that your overall experience was not to your expectations. Please also accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with timeliness and quality of service prior to your arrival.

If you decide to give us another opportunity, please feel free to reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I will be happy to assist you with any questions or requests you might have.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Was in DC, with 3 other travelers on a business trip. We all loved the rooms with the 60 inch TV and walk in showers. A nicely decorated, modern, boutique hotel The breakfast was a nice surprise. It had ample food and choices for a continental breakfast. It was located walking distance from many of the memorials, museums, and great restaurants. The rooftop pool was nice and offered a great view. It was directly across the street (very small street) from a CVS drug store which made it very convenient if you needed water or snacks in your room. They also had a small refrigerator in each room in case you needed to keep anything cold (request the key during check in). Brittany checked us in and also checked us out of the hotel with a smile. The restaurant was very good with a nice happy hour. I upgraded all the rooms for my travel companions (all men) to the larger king room and we all felt the room size was adequate. The only suggestion I have is that they offer some type of beer during the wine hour to accommodate non wine drinkers. It really wouldn't be any more expensive and would be a nice touch. I would definitely stay at The Donovan or another Kimpton Hotel again.

Room Tip: Opt for the larger room for a few dollars more if you require more space. Many people say the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Kathy5552014,

Thank you for a great review!

You are absolutely right about having an alternative beverage besides wine during our wine hours. We just started to serve our summer coctail called " Cool Down " during our wine hours and I am so sorry that you just missed it. Hopefully you will taste it during your next visit!!!

Thank you again and we are looking forward to having you back in the future,

Cheers
University Heights, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Donovan House during the 4th of July holiday. Everything was handled flawlessly. All staff members were excellent. My room was a good size with a great view of Thomas circle. The bathroom was also spacious with a large tub and large circular modern shower. Although the pool was small with limited hours the rooftop bar/pool was a nice touch with a great view. The hotel valet service was quick & convenient. Overall it was a fantastic week. I felt right at home and will definitely return!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nichole J
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Nicole J,

Thank you for a great review!

You selected one of the best state and hotel to celebrate the 4th of July weekend. It is a true joy to read about your experience,

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on my birthday from 27th to 30th June with my special one. Donovan house is boutique type establishment with an emphasis on a modern/ futuristic type theme and decor around the corner of 14th St. NW and M St. NW in Washington DC. The modern theme is by no way overwhelming and surprisingly nice even to non-modern-style-enthusiasts like myself.

Here's what I liked, in order:
1). Courteous and attentive front desk and some other staff. If #1 is not true, I look elsewhere regardless of how "nice" the place might seem. It helps that they recognized my birthday with a bottle of wine and some fruit and chocolate. Thank you :)
2). Location! Within walking distance to all "major" DC attractions (The White House, The different memorials, The Smithsonian and other museums, etc). Close proximity to the Metro (Rail line) for those who do not desire to walk everywhere.
3). Nice, cosy, clean room with a TV that's about 50 inches in screen size. Sleek room design.
4). Nice, wooden rooftop pool, bar and lounge area.
5). They hold a wine tasting daily around 5pm to 6pm that quite enjoyable. The wine was not "top shelf" :) but the atmosphere was. It gives guests a chance to see who else is staying at the hotel and perhaps even interact and mingle. They also serve some spicy nut mix and flavorful O'dourves at the wine tasting.

Here's what I did NOT like:
1). They advertise "complimentary bike" for rental. It is one bike that can only be borrowed within certain hours. Have at least 2 bikes for those of us that might to go sight-seeing with another person.
2). There was a hole in the covers on the bed and it kept spewing feathers all over the bed. It took explaining the situation to the front desk more than 3 times in order for them to send up a replacement. They said they would replace, we would leave, come back and notice the same cover still on the bed.
They also have an Asian-Fusion type of restaurant (Zentan) on the ground floor that we, unfortunately, did not have time to try.
Overall, a very pleasant experience. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UXtraveller
UXtraveller,

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House Hotel to celebrate your special occasion; we are thrilled to read that you had a great experience.

I wish you did not experience any inconvenience to make it a perfect stay, but please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with bedding and timeliness of the service . Also, please know that our second bike is ordered which should be delivered very soon. Yayyy

Looking forward to having you back with us soon...

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here recently for one night during the 4th of July Weekend. The hotel was a bit smaller than I had imagined. I had stayed at the Washington Plaza Hotel right across the street the night prior simply because of availability, so I naturally compared the two.
I think that the service at the hotel was great from the bell boy to the receptionist to the restaurant host, all great. The room was a bit smaller than I had anticipated, but it was clean and comfortable which was the most important. The bathroom was quite big. The noise level was a bit louder than the Washington Plaza Hotel but I didn't mind since it was the holiday weekend.
The rooftop pool was enjoyable with great views. Although i've been to way better rooftop pools, but nonetheless it wasn't bad.
For one night I thought it was great hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stimsoneer
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
stimsoneer,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the special 4th of July weekend. I am very happy to read that you had a pleasent stay with us. Hope you had enough time to enjoy the wonderful activities in the city as well.

Please come back and join us during your future visits to DC.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've stayed at Kimpton Hotels before and have always found the service to be great. The Donovan House is no exception. The guy at the front desk, tall blond guy, was super friendly and helpful in finding me a place to grab lunch, as well as check in a little bit early. The room was clean, it's all very modern. The highlight of the place is probably the pool on the roof. Small but not overly busy with lots of lounge chairs. Reminds me a little of the pool at the Soho House in NYC.

The last memory from this hotel was an interaction that occurred at the coffee bar in the morning. Someone from the hotel had cleaned up the coffee area, but away most of the coffee, milk, etc when a wounded vet wheeled up looking for coffee. The hotel worker in a friendly tone asked if the vet would like coffee and said something to the effect of we always have coffee available. It was a small gesture, but the act of kindness/respect has stuck with me. This is the kind of hotel I want to be staying at.
Great job Donovan House employees.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
NYCtraveler33Nyc,

Thank you for a great review!

It is so wonderful to read that you had a true Kimpton experience with us. It sounds like you were assisted by our Assistant Front Office Manager - Jonothan F.- during your check in process who is a great value to our team. I am also impressed to read about your great service experience during coffee service. We have a great team at the Donovan House who is always there to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Please hope to see you again in the future.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly, the location - this was pretty good. Possibly a few blocks further away from some of the main tourist attractions but not too bad. The Metro was a couple of blocks away although make sure you come of of the right exit to get the quickest walk home at night. The hotel itself looked nice but some good points and some not so good. Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the residential property at the back and it was really quiet which was great. The room was attractive and comfortble. The bathroom at first looked nice and modern but the sliding door was so heavy that I resorted mostly to leaving it partially open ! The walk in shower is nice during the day but switching the bathroom light on during the night turned the whole shower screen (full length and right next to the bed) into a beacon capable of guiding aircraft - it was so bright ! A bit of a design fail. The toiletries were of pretty good quality. I won't spoil the surprise if you haven't stayed there but look out for the "interesting" bathrobes. We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on that. I wasn't too impressed with the rooftop pool - it's very small and we couldn't even get two sunloungers together on a Thursday morning. I would have been dissapointed with a room on that floor since it seemed very noisy.
The staff were okay, nothing outstanding although it was frustrating to be presented with a bill for long distance telephone calls that we did not make. This was quickly resolved though. Overall, it was okay, no major problems but I think I would still look elsewhere if returning to Washington DC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Joven19,

Thank you for your review!

I am very sad to read that we were not able to meet your expectations. If you will decide to give us another chance, please reach out to me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com.

Hope to have you back with us in the future...