“Great Location and Top Notch Staff”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #31 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“Great Location and Top Notch Staff”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Part of an amazing new chapter in a reemerging neighborhood with a ton of great features. The restaurant scene in the 14th Street corridor is poppin and there so much great food. Stay here but you hpmay not want to leave your room.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
LWG22209,

Thank you for a great review!

Thrilled to read that you had a great stay with us.

Please come back to visit us in the future again.

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The Donovan has the modern vibe of The Standard. Everything is clean, minimal and elegant. At first I thought the spiral shower looked a bit "2001" and gimmicky, but the design keeps water from getting everywhere in a really economical space. The attached Asian restaurant is fairly nice and offers a great breakfast. That said, the bed was a little stiff and some items seem cheap, like the plastic-y tub. All in all though, I'd come here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dustin A
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear DustinA,

Thank you for your review!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm a big fan of Kimpton Hotels in general - they always surpass the "major" chains at the same price point, are a little unusual but have all the amenities I expect. Donovan House was no exception. The staff was super helpful and when we arrived after a PAINFULLY early morning flight, they were more than happy to find us a room where we could check in early and relax a bit before heading out for the day. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was well appointed without being over-cluttered. The area it is in is not overly touristy and it is more of a hike to the subway and sites than perhaps families with children would be up for, but for my husband and I, we appreciated being a bit out of the tourist zone, near restaurants where folks who live and work in DC might go. Plus cabs are so reasonably priced in DC that in the event you find yourself not up for a 4-5 block walk at the end of the day, you need not feel like it is a huge splurge to take one. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nuacara,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to read that you had a great experience at our hotel.

Please come back and visit us again...

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lobby is small and very modern. Had a nice smell piped into it by a machine which was nice.
The man who checked me in wasn't very friendly. No smiles, no friendly welcome, etc. And he got a little testy when I asked about being a Kimpton Rewards member (apparently if you book through a third party you don't get any of the reward perks).

Room was a bit on small side but very clean and modern looking. My kids loved the shower but my only complaint was that it took up a lot of space in the center of the room and make it hard to get around with a family and all our luggage, etc. There was only one light in the bathroom and it lit up the shower so bright in the middle of the night that it woke everyone up. They should really be separate lights for the shower and the rest of the bathroom so everyone doesn't get woken up by the bright lights if someone has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. My boys loved the HUGE television in the room - definitely a plus for them!

Beds were ok. It was a bit odd because they didn't have a boxspring - they sat on a platform and therefore were a bit low to the ground. No big deal - just something we had to get used to.

Housekeeping didn't leave us any bath towels on our second day. Not a big deal, as we just had to make a call to get more (although they only brought 3 towels when we called). Other than that, housekeeping did a good job and the room was very clean.

Rooftop pool - small and really not meant to actually swim in. On a Saturday afternoon the pool area was packed with people staying for the bar. Everyone lined the perimeter of the pool dipping their feet in, making it very awkward for anyone to try to get into the pool. I didn't like the policy of having to be 21 to enter the pool area after 5pm! After a long day of touring the sights with my boys on a hot day, they wanted to take a dip in the pool and were told they couldn't because they weren't 21. Odd because it was only 5:30pm....don't really think it's fair to the people who book the hotel to actually use the pool.

Location is good. You can walk to the White House area in about 10 or 15 minutes. Some sights were a bit far to walk with a family, but taxis were easily obtained so it wasn't a problem.

As Kimpton Reward members, we were entitled to free wi-fi, but it was very hard to connect and took a very long time to get into (over 30 minutes).

Wouldn't stay here again with children. Good hotel for a young couple or perhaps business travelers.

Room Tip: *free WiFi only for Kimpton Reward members.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Michele W,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor.

I truly appreciate you sharing your feedback in details. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience with our housekeeping department on your second day. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to make sure that this kind of experience does not happen in the future.

If you give us another opportunity, please feel free to reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehote.com, I will be happy to assist you with any questions or requests you might have.

Omaha
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend trip which was myself and my 5 year old. My first issue was before I booked I emailed the hotel and asked about the area and hotel since I would be traveling with a small child alone. I wanted to know if it was a good area and close to the subways before I booked. It took two weeks for a response and it was so short and non-helpful I was actually surprised at the response.
The location is about 5 blocks from the subway. Very easy to get around. There is a drug store across the street for forgotten items.
The hotel lobby is very small and modern. There is a lot of traffic thru the lobby. Especially at night.It is a good hotel for couples and singles but not for small children.
The halls are in need of updating.
The room was large and modern looking. Cleaning was hit and miss. My 5 year old really enjoyed the large tub, it was like a mini pool to play in. The large pod type shower in the room is white and light does carry thru from the bathroom and light it up in the middle of the night.The curtains are dark but not black out type, when the sun comes up it pours in the room from the top and sides. Hard for sleeping in or napping with a little one.
The room was updated but just not my type. I equated it to the expression of putting lipstick on a pig. It looks good at first glance, but upon a closer look it appears to have been a quick remodel. A friend we visited in DC gave me the history of the hotel in the past and it was all clear why the hotel just had a strange vibe.
Overall for the price we paid it was ok. When I return to DC this fall, I will check out other options.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank rjsmom1117
Dear rjsmom1117,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry to read that your overall experience was not to your expectations. Please also accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with timeliness and quality of service prior to your arrival.

If you decide to give us another opportunity, please feel free to reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I will be happy to assist you with any questions or requests you might have.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Was in DC, with 3 other travelers on a business trip. We all loved the rooms with the 60 inch TV and walk in showers. A nicely decorated, modern, boutique hotel The breakfast was a nice surprise. It had ample food and choices for a continental breakfast. It was located walking distance from many of the memorials, museums, and great restaurants. The rooftop pool was nice and offered a great view. It was directly across the street (very small street) from a CVS drug store which made it very convenient if you needed water or snacks in your room. They also had a small refrigerator in each room in case you needed to keep anything cold (request the key during check in). Brittany checked us in and also checked us out of the hotel with a smile. The restaurant was very good with a nice happy hour. I upgraded all the rooms for my travel companions (all men) to the larger king room and we all felt the room size was adequate. The only suggestion I have is that they offer some type of beer during the wine hour to accommodate non wine drinkers. It really wouldn't be any more expensive and would be a nice touch. I would definitely stay at The Donovan or another Kimpton Hotel again.

Room Tip: Opt for the larger room for a few dollars more if you require more space. Many people say the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Kathy5552014,

Thank you for a great review!

You are absolutely right about having an alternative beverage besides wine during our wine hours. We just started to serve our summer coctail called " Cool Down " during our wine hours and I am so sorry that you just missed it. Hopefully you will taste it during your next visit!!!

Thank you again and we are looking forward to having you back in the future,

Cheers
University Heights, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Donovan House during the 4th of July holiday. Everything was handled flawlessly. All staff members were excellent. My room was a good size with a great view of Thomas circle. The bathroom was also spacious with a large tub and large circular modern shower. Although the pool was small with limited hours the rooftop bar/pool was a nice touch with a great view. The hotel valet service was quick & convenient. Overall it was a fantastic week. I felt right at home and will definitely return!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nichole J
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Nicole J,

Thank you for a great review!

You selected one of the best state and hotel to celebrate the 4th of July weekend. It is a true joy to read about your experience,

We are looking forward to having you back with us.