“Incredible staff”

Ranked #30 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Incredible staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a fabulous time here. Everyone was so helpful and accomodating~ my partner & I chose DC to get married & the Donovan house team treated us like family~~ definitely recommend this place! The bath lighting was the only change I would recommend

• Stayed July 2014
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear Vickie H,

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate this special event.

We look forward to having you back with us to celebrate many more special occasions.

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
us
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Design and style don't make up for blocking and tackling. This property may be hip and trendy -- I wouldn't know. I do know that it falls far short of standard. If it's rates were lower I would have lower expectations but they charge a premium price. My upgraded room was spacious but the furnishings and fixtures were very average. The public areas, including the rooftop bar they brag about were worn and cheap feeling. Service was friendly but very average. I was there two days before I realized they had a doorman. My plane arrived late. I was hungry. Their offer was to call take out delivery. Hardly four stars. If I were 28 and didn't know any better this might seem cool. If you are older than that think twice about staying here. This saddens me too since I have stayed at several Kimptons and enjoyed them. This one simply didn't measure up.

Room Tip: My upgraded room (that I reserved and paid for dearly) was spacious and had a great view of Thomas C...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear km060,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and I would appreciate the opportunity to contact you. Your feedback is very important to us and if you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My 6 year old daughter and I stayed at Donovan House for a long weekend, and we had a great time! When we walked into the Lobby, we were immediately impressed with the contemporary setting and friendly atmosphere. Unlike many boutique hotels that try so hard to be posh and trendy but end up feeling cold and pretentious, Donovan House hits the mark with its easygoing yet modern vibe. My daughter made a beeline to test out the pair of swinging bubble chairs while I checked in with the friendly staff. I was surprised and excited when they told me I had been upgraded to a Premiere Room which was twice as big as the Deluxe I reserved. The reason? I was a Kimpton Hotel "Member" (never mind that I had not stayed in a Kimpton Hotel since I signed up some 7 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter...the very same daughter who was at that point swinging giddily on one of the bubble chairs), And speaking of my daughter, upon receiving the key to my upgraded room, a complimentary $10 "Raid the Mini Bar" pass, and two tickets for a free hot breakfast in the morning, the lovely guest agent called my daughter over and handed her a gift bag of fun games and trinkets to keep her occupied. She called her by name and then wished her good luck (we were in town so she could attend an audition). All of that was in the first 5 minutes of our stay, and the service never declined. From the spiral shower (you just have to see it to understand) to the pool on the rooftop, the Donovan House was a truly fun place to stay. I recommend you sign up for their guest member program (free) and book directly through their website in order to get the most for your money. In addition to surprise upgrades, they offer other nice perks and with enough stays you can earn free nights. Try as I might, I could not find a better deal than the one offered on their own website, but if you happen to see a lower price, I suspect they will match it if you can verify it. Kimpton is really doing things right, and I'm a big fan. I highly recommend you give them a shot, too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elis2020
Dear Elis2020,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience on TripAdvisor.

I am overwhelmed with your great experience and will personally thank my team for creating a memorable stay for you and your daughter.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Part of an amazing new chapter in a reemerging neighborhood with a ton of great features. The restaurant scene in the 14th Street corridor is poppin and there so much great food. Stay here but you hpmay not want to leave your room.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
LWG22209,

Thank you for a great review!

Thrilled to read that you had a great stay with us.

Please come back to visit us in the future again.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The Donovan has the modern vibe of The Standard. Everything is clean, minimal and elegant. At first I thought the spiral shower looked a bit "2001" and gimmicky, but the design keeps water from getting everywhere in a really economical space. The attached Asian restaurant is fairly nice and offers a great breakfast. That said, the bed was a little stiff and some items seem cheap, like the plastic-y tub. All in all though, I'd come here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dustin A
Dear DustinA,

Thank you for your review!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm a big fan of Kimpton Hotels in general - they always surpass the "major" chains at the same price point, are a little unusual but have all the amenities I expect. Donovan House was no exception. The staff was super helpful and when we arrived after a PAINFULLY early morning flight, they were more than happy to find us a room where we could check in early and relax a bit before heading out for the day. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was well appointed without being over-cluttered. The area it is in is not overly touristy and it is more of a hike to the subway and sites than perhaps families with children would be up for, but for my husband and I, we appreciated being a bit out of the tourist zone, near restaurants where folks who live and work in DC might go. Plus cabs are so reasonably priced in DC that in the event you find yourself not up for a 4-5 block walk at the end of the day, you need not feel like it is a huge splurge to take one. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nuacara,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to read that you had a great experience at our hotel.

Please come back and visit us again...

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lobby is small and very modern. Had a nice smell piped into it by a machine which was nice.
The man who checked me in wasn't very friendly. No smiles, no friendly welcome, etc. And he got a little testy when I asked about being a Kimpton Rewards member (apparently if you book through a third party you don't get any of the reward perks).

Room was a bit on small side but very clean and modern looking. My kids loved the shower but my only complaint was that it took up a lot of space in the center of the room and make it hard to get around with a family and all our luggage, etc. There was only one light in the bathroom and it lit up the shower so bright in the middle of the night that it woke everyone up. They should really be separate lights for the shower and the rest of the bathroom so everyone doesn't get woken up by the bright lights if someone has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. My boys loved the HUGE television in the room - definitely a plus for them!

Beds were ok. It was a bit odd because they didn't have a boxspring - they sat on a platform and therefore were a bit low to the ground. No big deal - just something we had to get used to.

Housekeeping didn't leave us any bath towels on our second day. Not a big deal, as we just had to make a call to get more (although they only brought 3 towels when we called). Other than that, housekeeping did a good job and the room was very clean.

Rooftop pool - small and really not meant to actually swim in. On a Saturday afternoon the pool area was packed with people staying for the bar. Everyone lined the perimeter of the pool dipping their feet in, making it very awkward for anyone to try to get into the pool. I didn't like the policy of having to be 21 to enter the pool area after 5pm! After a long day of touring the sights with my boys on a hot day, they wanted to take a dip in the pool and were told they couldn't because they weren't 21. Odd because it was only 5:30pm....don't really think it's fair to the people who book the hotel to actually use the pool.

Location is good. You can walk to the White House area in about 10 or 15 minutes. Some sights were a bit far to walk with a family, but taxis were easily obtained so it wasn't a problem.

As Kimpton Reward members, we were entitled to free wi-fi, but it was very hard to connect and took a very long time to get into (over 30 minutes).

Wouldn't stay here again with children. Good hotel for a young couple or perhaps business travelers.

Room Tip: *free WiFi only for Kimpton Reward members.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Michele W,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor.

I truly appreciate you sharing your feedback in details. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience with our housekeeping department on your second day. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to make sure that this kind of experience does not happen in the future.

If you give us another opportunity, please feel free to reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehote.com, I will be happy to assist you with any questions or requests you might have.