“They got it all right”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Avon, Connecticut
“They got it all right”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I called a couple of days prior and asked for a high room on the quiet side of the hotel and not on the 14th floor -- pool/bar.

I got exactly what I asked for and to boot the person at check in remembered me from my call. To me it's the small things like this that separate hotels into good, better, best. I rate Donovan House in the best category. I also asked for a pet free room due to allergies. My room was perfect. As a somewhat frequent traveler it's not typical to get what you ask for much less be known. Kudos to Donovan House.

I really like the Kimpton hosted wine hour. It's a great chance to relax and meet other guests.

My advise to others, is high floor, main side of the hotel. Definitely not as quiet but the quiet side has views of air conditioners, etc.

There are comments on the showers, I concur that it is too bad the bathrooms don't have more than one light switch. When the bathroom lights are on the bedroom is fully illuminated. I suggest bringing a simple home night light. This is what Kimpton should add to their rooms.

Great location and nice rooms. Definitely on my short list for my next stay in DC.

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Preston1884,

Thank you for a great review!

I do appreciate you sharing your feedback about our bathroom lightining as it is giving us opportunities to improve our products. We will definitely look for ways to enhance our bathroom experience.

Please come back and visit us again.

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed one night for business earlier this month. This was a priceline booking, as I enjoy the surprise of where I'll end up...(can't complain about the cost savings being passed on to my work either!) Of course despite being optional to be a PL hotel participant, I got what seemed like mild displeasure for booking this way. Nothing too bad though and did switch my room from a double double to a queen which was appreciated.

The actual room- small even for big city standards - no coffee maker but of course room for a minibar full of the usual suspects... no ice either. I am sure they would have brought some but who wants to have to bug people for ice and wait for it? Ok, enough complaints - the room was clean, the bed comfy, and the location good for my purposes.

I would not pay rack rates for this particular hotel but I would be happy to stay here again at a discount.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jay_randomnumbersher
Dear Jay_randomnumbersher,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that your experience met your expectations. We do have coffee makers available upon request, so please feel free to contact our front desk team to have one delivered for you. I am also super excited to inform you that we are in a process of arranging ice machines to our guest floors.

Please give us another opportunity in the future again.

Long Island
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights when I was in town for a convention. Room was clean, comfortable and well thought-out, with a pleasing and unusual Japanese-themed design. A relaxing place to come back to each day. A pleasant walk to the convention center--short enough to be quite doable, long enough to get a little exercise. Would stay here again.
Room tip: avoid the top floor, where noise from the rooftop bar continues far into the night, I heard from a colleague who changed his room after one night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear slands2000,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House during your visit to Washington, D.C. area.

You are absolutelty right about our great location! Our hotel is located near the Convention Center and attracting many business travelers who visits DC to attend conventions.

Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again...

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed 4 nights while in town for a conference. First off--the conference-negotiated rate was awesome. There were minor foibles but the staff handled it all well. The room wasn't ready when I arrived but they gave me a cocktail voucher--I had a nice glass of bubbly in the bar, ran a conference-related errand, and when I returned, the room was ready. It was a well-appointed room, and actually exceeded my expectations (because of some negative reviews I've seen). We had a maintenance issue with the toilet but they responded promptly and got it taken care of. As always, I love the free wifi and wine hour. The secret password is back, which got us free breakfast throughout our stay--it puts any other free hotel breakfast to shame. We ate in the restaurant (Zentan) and it was great. I don't always get to choose where I stay in DC (if work is paying), but I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear hknudsen_24,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

I am very happy to read that our rooms exceeded your expectations. Please accept my apologies for the hiccups you experienced and glad to read that they were resolved to your satisfaction.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Elfi
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Donovan for a "meet up" with friends. From the minute we checked in with John D. to the lovely note left by Felicia in the room (it was our anniversary) to being asked by Brittany, Stacey and the rest of the front desk how our stay was each time we were in the lobby, we could not have asked for a better experience. The bell staff taking our cars in and out of the garage were also very accommodating and professional. It is the best hotel we have stayed in over our years of visiting the DC area.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear karinsk,

Thank you for sharing your great experience on TripAdvisor.

I love reading the names of our employees and recognizing them for their outstanding performances. I will personally thank John D., Felicia, Stacey and Brittany for their excellent service.

Please come back to visit us soon...

Chico, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent 8 nights at the Donovan House in D.C. I was happy with the room, the staff and the hotel in general. The staff were exceedingly helpful and friendly. Even the housekeeping staff would converse which it seems in other hotels they usually look at the floor and shrug. The rooms were more comfortable than I thought when first showing up. This is a semi-Japanese styled hotel which was sort of a surprise to me since I thought that they were a James Bond themed hotel but the ambiance was nice. My only criticisms are that there are no ice machines available. They would deliver ice if requested but this was a little inconvenient. They did allow me to use the minibar refrigerator to store my own beer and so far have not been charged for anything. Also I could never figure out the housekeeping. I would get one washcloth replaced but no hand towels. Then I got four hand towels but no bath towels. Overall it was a good experience and I would return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. The rooms looking out on Thomas Circle have nice views but there is a lo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear CDFPete,

Thank you for your review!

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please forgive us for the inconsistent service with bathroom amenities. I will share your experience with our housekeeping team to make sure that it does not happen in the future. I also have good news to share! We are in a process of installing ice machines to our guest floors. In the meantime, please reach our front desk team for ice delivery for your future visits.

Please come back and visit us again soon...

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Donovan House Hotel this past weekend, August 1-3rd, 2014. We are Kimpton Loyalty Members. We have always been pleased with our stays in Kimpton Hotels, but we were disappointed by our stay at The Donovan House.

When I arrived at The Donovan House on August 1st at 3:45pm, the room was not ready. They sent me to the roof top pool lounge saying they would call me when my room was ready. I never received a call and decided to call the front desk myself at 5:30pm. I was told there was a room ready, but that I did not receive the upgrade I had applied for via an email Kimpton had sent a week or so before. We usually receive drink vouchers and $10 off the mini bar in our room, but we were not offered that at all this time. When we asked about drink vouchers, we were given only one.

We were gone for several hours in the middle of the day Saturday and returned to find our room had not been serviced. We called for towels and went to the roof top lounge. An hour and a half later we came back to our room and they were just then cleaning it; we had to wait an additional fifteen minutes.

On Sunday the roof top pool was closed for an afternoon event. I found this surprising, since we were paying hotel guests and loyalty members. Part of the reason I booked the Donovan House was for the roof top pool. This seems like a conflict of priorities on Kimpton's part.

Since the room was not ready at the check in time stated on The Donovan House website and I had to wait almost two hours with no call to let me know it was ready, we requested a late checkout. The front desk said we could check out at 12:30 instead of noon. That’s not exactly what I consider a late checkout, especially considering the circumstances.

The hotel staff seemed over worked and harried. The elevators were slow and there were people everywhere. The pictures on line made the lobby and rooms and roof top all seem open and spacious, but we found them packed and cramped.

Overall, our stay at The Donovan House was underwhelming at best and very disappointing at worst.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah M
Dear Hannah M,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced during your visit.
It is very dissapointing to read that we failed your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. If you could afford the time, I can be reached at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com.

Regards,