“OK for a Kimpton” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“OK for a Kimpton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed 4 nights while in DC for work. The hotel was nice and honestly had no major issues. In general though, it lacks what I tend to expect from other Kimpton Properties. The room was clean, comfortable, plenty of usb/power ports (which is a big plus in my book), well stocked bathrooms, etc. The lobby was much smaller than most Kimptons, and lack the 'vibe' you would expect. I would have no problem staying here again, but there are a lot of choices in DC and I may explore other options next time.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Dear JlginPHX,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us.

We hope you will come and give us another chance on your next visit to DC.

Elif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This is not a family oriented hotel. They advertise a roof top pool, but kick everyone under 21 out of the pool area at 5pm so they can turn it into a nightclub open to the public. Then you get to fight the general public for their three inadequate elevators for the rest of the night. The lobby and elevators get overrun with drunken rooftop dwellers until late in the evening. It's actually a great place if you are a young person looking for a meat market. But they should warn every guest with kids when making reservations that the facilities you are about to pay for are actually for the drinking general public, not the paying hotel guests with kids. I would give it zero stars if possible.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Christopher A
Dear Christopher A.,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Trip Advisor. While I wish I was corresponding with you under different circumstances, I truly appreciate you sharing your constructive feedback with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. If you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had stayed at the Donovan House for 5 nights last week for a conference at the Convention Center. The stay overall was uneventful as I was not in the room or the hotel much of the time. However, most of my interactions with the hotel staff throughout my stay lacked that special touch of friendliness that I have come to associate other Kimpton properties with. Worst yet, my experience during check-out was shockingly disappointing.

To be fair, this was around 11AM on a Sunday morning-- we get it if bellhops were a bit stretched at this particular hour of the day and week. But being left in our room waiting and waiting for the luggage assistance that just won't come was beyond frustrating. Fifteen minutes after calling the front desk and expressing our annoyance, my girlfriend and I finally gave up and hauled our stuff over to the lobby ourselves. There, we were hoping to leave our belongings at the hotel so we can go pick up our car parked in the suburb. But we were not even able to grab the attention of any hotel staff with our many pieces of luggage right at the lobby. I ended up leaving my girlfriend behind at the lobby with our stuff so I could go and pick up the car. And guess what, no one else batted an eye on her or our bags and luggages as they sat idly waiting for almost an hour, or offered any assistance as she carried them out to the car when I came back. We really expected more from a Kimpton hotel.

Other than the incident during check-out, our time at the hotel was largely unremarkable. Other Kimpton properties would try to create order in the different, usually messy areas of the room, e.g. bathroom counter and desk, when serving the room, but not the Donovan House. Other Kimpton properties would send a staff to come back and check if we are satisfied with our room shortly we check in, but not the Donovan House. The rooms were tiny and parking was outrageously overpriced, even for someone coming from NYC, but such were the norms in DC hotels I guess.

The rooftop bar was a major attraction if you and your friends / colleagues enjoy going out after hours. The location, though not right next to any metro station, was conveniently situated in walking distances from several destinations around town, including the convention center, nightlife hotspots, and the Mall. Despite these positives, the lackluster service still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are tiny and offer absolutely no views whatsoever. Try your luck with a fancier roo...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Insight_ming
Dear Insight_ming,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and I would appreciate the opportunity to contact with you. Your feedback is very important to us and allowing us to improve our service. If you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

1st time in Washington, travelled with a friend for some site-seeing and fun. Very much enjoyed the hotel and all it had to offer. Great rooms, clean, and the 5pm complimentary wine/snacks was an added bonus.

Staff went out of their way to fix a problem at check-in which we appreciated.

Roof-top bar was really cool with a great view of the city.

Highly recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
      Location
Dear LATravels99,

Thank you for a wonderful review!

I truly enjoyed reading your experience and appreciate that you shared it with our TripAdvisor guests.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Avon, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I called a couple of days prior and asked for a high room on the quiet side of the hotel and not on the 14th floor -- pool/bar.

I got exactly what I asked for and to boot the person at check in remembered me from my call. To me it's the small things like this that separate hotels into good, better, best. I rate Donovan House in the best category. I also asked for a pet free room due to allergies. My room was perfect. As a somewhat frequent traveler it's not typical to get what you ask for much less be known. Kudos to Donovan House.

I really like the Kimpton hosted wine hour. It's a great chance to relax and meet other guests.

My advise to others, is high floor, main side of the hotel. Definitely not as quiet but the quiet side has views of air conditioners, etc.

There are comments on the showers, I concur that it is too bad the bathrooms don't have more than one light switch. When the bathroom lights are on the bedroom is fully illuminated. I suggest bringing a simple home night light. This is what Kimpton should add to their rooms.

Great location and nice rooms. Definitely on my short list for my next stay in DC.

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator
Preston1884,

Thank you for a great review!

I do appreciate you sharing your feedback about our bathroom lightining as it is giving us opportunities to improve our products. We will definitely look for ways to enhance our bathroom experience.

Please come back and visit us again.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed one night for business earlier this month. This was a priceline booking, as I enjoy the surprise of where I'll end up...(can't complain about the cost savings being passed on to my work either!) Of course despite being optional to be a PL hotel participant, I got what seemed like mild displeasure for booking this way. Nothing too bad though and did switch my room from a double double to a queen which was appreciated.

The actual room- small even for big city standards - no coffee maker but of course room for a minibar full of the usual suspects... no ice either. I am sure they would have brought some but who wants to have to bug people for ice and wait for it? Ok, enough complaints - the room was clean, the bed comfy, and the location good for my purposes.

I would not pay rack rates for this particular hotel but I would be happy to stay here again at a discount.

1 Thank Jay_randomnumbersher
Dear Jay_randomnumbersher,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that your experience met your expectations. We do have coffee makers available upon request, so please feel free to contact our front desk team to have one delivered for you. I am also super excited to inform you that we are in a process of arranging ice machines to our guest floors.

Please give us another opportunity in the future again.

Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights when I was in town for a convention. Room was clean, comfortable and well thought-out, with a pleasing and unusual Japanese-themed design. A relaxing place to come back to each day. A pleasant walk to the convention center--short enough to be quite doable, long enough to get a little exercise. Would stay here again.
Room tip: avoid the top floor, where noise from the rooftop bar continues far into the night, I heard from a colleague who changed his room after one night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear slands2000,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House during your visit to Washington, D.C. area.

You are absolutelty right about our great location! Our hotel is located near the Convention Center and attracting many business travelers who visits DC to attend conventions.

Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again...