“Donovan House Customer service A+”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed 4 nights at the Donovan House for my 40th birthday and although there was a slight mix up during our check in, Hotel manager Peter D and his team were quick to rectify and ensure that the rest of our experience was exemplary, including working on a surprise on my actual bday that was truly memorable.

I would stay at this hotel again and recommend to anyone staying in the DC area in future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Eleni M

Happy Belated 40th Birthday!

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate your special occasions.I am thrilled to read that you had a memorable experience.

Please visit us again to celebrate many more special occasions!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 4th of July weekend. We were able to take our dog with us, which was a huge plus. Love their happy hour free wine and beer in the afternoon. The view from the room was beautiful and we were. Actually able to see the fireworks from the park in front of the hotel. We would definetly come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Drmon79,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate 4th of July weekend!

I am very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. We love our pet friends who brings so much fun to our hotels.

Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at several Kimpton properties and I've loved them all. Donovan House is no different. I've never stayed at a hotel with my dog and family (wife and two kids 8 & 5). They put us in a king suite, which was awesome! We don't live far away but I didn't want to drive home after the Nats game so a short drive back to Donovan House was the ticket. The circle across the street has plenty of grass for dogs. The hotel was very clean, quiet, and the staff was great. For a Sat night in the summer the rooftop pool/bar was bumpin, but that is to be expected. My wife took the kids to the pool earlier in the day while I took the dog on a walk to Franklin (and got heckled by a homeless person when she took a dump and I cleaned it up and threw it away like you are supposed to do, hilarious!). Anyway the water was cold so the kids didn't last too long. There was a bachelorette party going on too, which I was a little disappointed I missed that. There did seem to be a lot of people waiting in the lobby with bags at different times, but I went downstairs with my son to get a cart to bring the crate and luggage down, I don't rely on other people even if it is their job. Checkout was a piece of cake and my car was ready and they loaded it up and we were off. The overnight parking fee was less than what I would have paid to board my dog, so I don't mind the charge. Overall the location is great and I wish I would have had time to grab a drink upstairs, but maybe next time!!

Stayed: August 2014

Drudog21,

Thank you for a great review!

I am very happy to read that you and your family had a great time with us. Hope to see you spending many more weekends with us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed 4 nights while in DC for work. The hotel was nice and honestly had no major issues. In general though, it lacks what I tend to expect from other Kimpton Properties. The room was clean, comfortable, plenty of usb/power ports (which is a big plus in my book), well stocked bathrooms, etc. The lobby was much smaller than most Kimptons, and lack the 'vibe' you would expect. I would have no problem staying here again, but there are a lot of choices in DC and I may explore other options next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear JlginPHX,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us.

We hope you will come and give us another chance on your next visit to DC.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This is not a family oriented hotel. They advertise a roof top pool, but kick everyone under 21 out of the pool area at 5pm so they can turn it into a nightclub open to the public. Then you get to fight the general public for their three inadequate elevators for the rest of the night. The lobby and elevators get overrun with drunken rooftop dwellers until late in the evening. It's actually a great place if you are a young person looking for a meat market. But they should warn every guest with kids when making reservations that the facilities you are about to pay for are actually for the drinking general public, not the paying hotel guests with kids. I would give it zero stars if possible.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Christopher A

Dear Christopher A.,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Trip Advisor. While I wish I was corresponding with you under different circumstances, I truly appreciate you sharing your constructive feedback with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. If you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had stayed at the Donovan House for 5 nights last week for a conference at the Convention Center. The stay overall was uneventful as I was not in the room or the hotel much of the time. However, most of my interactions with the hotel staff throughout my stay lacked that special touch of friendliness that I have come to associate other Kimpton properties with. Worst yet, my experience during check-out was shockingly disappointing.

To be fair, this was around 11AM on a Sunday morning-- we get it if bellhops were a bit stretched at this particular hour of the day and week. But being left in our room waiting and waiting for the luggage assistance that just won't come was beyond frustrating. Fifteen minutes after calling the front desk and expressing our annoyance, my girlfriend and I finally gave up and hauled our stuff over to the lobby ourselves. There, we were hoping to leave our belongings at the hotel so we can go pick up our car parked in the suburb. But we were not even able to grab the attention of any hotel staff with our many pieces of luggage right at the lobby. I ended up leaving my girlfriend behind at the lobby with our stuff so I could go and pick up the car. And guess what, no one else batted an eye on her or our bags and luggages as they sat idly waiting for almost an hour, or offered any assistance as she carried them out to the car when I came back. We really expected more from a Kimpton hotel.

Other than the incident during check-out, our time at the hotel was largely unremarkable. Other Kimpton properties would try to create order in the different, usually messy areas of the room, e.g. bathroom counter and desk, when serving the room, but not the Donovan House. Other Kimpton properties would send a staff to come back and check if we are satisfied with our room shortly we check in, but not the Donovan House. The rooms were tiny and parking was outrageously overpriced, even for someone coming from NYC, but such were the norms in DC hotels I guess.

The rooftop bar was a major attraction if you and your friends / colleagues enjoy going out after hours. The location, though not right next to any metro station, was conveniently situated in walking distances from several destinations around town, including the convention center, nightlife hotspots, and the Mall. Despite these positives, the lackluster service still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are tiny and offer absolutely no views whatsoever. Try your luck with a fancier roo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Insight_ming

Dear Insight_ming,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and I would appreciate the opportunity to contact with you. Your feedback is very important to us and allowing us to improve our service. If you could kindly reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com, I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

1st time in Washington, travelled with a friend for some site-seeing and fun. Very much enjoyed the hotel and all it had to offer. Great rooms, clean, and the 5pm complimentary wine/snacks was an added bonus.

Staff went out of their way to fix a problem at check-in which we appreciated.

Roof-top bar was really cool with a great view of the city.

Highly recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear LATravels99,

Thank you for a wonderful review!

I truly enjoyed reading your experience and appreciate that you shared it with our TripAdvisor guests.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.