“fun (don't miss the wine & happy hour at the lobby)”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2014

With a small touch and some original ideas they manage to create a special fresh experience and a great feel, both for a business trip or four tourism-romantic one. The atmosphere here was sexy and young and fun. The service was perfect. Unfortunately we did come while they were renovating and it was bothering (and our floor was dirty as a result)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Elif H, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

ron I,

Thank you for a great review!

You are absolutely right!! Our wine hours are the BEST!!! I am thrilled to read that you had a great experience with us.

Please come back to visit us soon!!

Elif

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here 1 night, about a mile from the Smithsonian museum and other area landmarks, good location and given that I was traveling solo I felt safe. The hotel is rated as a 4 four star and I am sure at one time it was but it doesn't appear that the hotel has been kept up. In the room I stayed in caulking around the shower was sloppy - smears and streaks, water stains and cracks in vanity, floor in the elevators were cracked, and lastly the hotel staff used the guest elevators to transport the bins of towels and other items used to clean the room. On a brighter side, the hotel staff were very attentive and friendly. I also like that you must use your hotel key to access your floor HOWEVER I did see a hotel staff person select 2 floors on the elevator key pad as a way of overriding not having a hotel key to access a floor..... so much for feeling secure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

FMartin_27,

Thank you for your review!

I truly appreciate you sharing our surroundings on your review. We are very proud to say that our hotel is located at one of the best location in Washington, D.C.

Oh noo!! It seems like you just missed our newly replaced flooring in the guest elevators. They look absolutely stunning!!

Please also know that safety and security of our guests and employees are extremely important to us. Our meeting rooms are located on the second floor, therefore it is accessible to those of our guests who are here to attend the meetings only. Our security team as well as our entire team is here to provide a safe and flawless stay to our guests.

We wish to have you back in the future again!!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just got back from a 1-night stay at Donovan House a hotel I had wanted to stay at for over a year now. I was heading to DC for a marketing conference a block away from the hotel so I thought GREAT! However, the excellent customer service is where my love for this property starts and ends.

The Staff
Front Desk Excellent! Nothing more to say.. from my phone calls to my check in/out they were top notch. Roof top pool bar staff, valet, doorman, maids, etc.... all excellent!

Room
I was upgraded to a king suite. I remember reading a review where another guest stated she felt like she was in NY while at this property and once I walked in all I could say was if this was because the room was the size of a closet then yes this is very New York [ish]. I remember thinking if this is an upgrade WOW what did the queen look like?? Don't be fooled by the pictures of bathtubs online; unless you are in a suite you will not have one! The rooms are very basic, bed is extremely comfy. The shower is interesting but outside of the shape its practicality is non-existent. The room itself was a little worn (508) and could definitely use a few repairs.

Amenities
The Raid the Mini Bar $10 free card was a nice touch. You can either use the $10 at the mini bar in your room or at the pool bar. I opted for the free drink.

Rooftop Pool
VERY SMALL! Not at all what it looks like in the pictures, but still a nice area, decor wise.

Parking
You have to feed the meter(s) until 10 pm even in spots that say unlimited parking after 6:30 pm. DON'T BE FOOLED. I opted to avoid this and just pay the extreme price of $45.00 + tax a night to valet at the hotel. Whoever heard of taxing a parking fee? Hilarious! But easy to do when you know your location warrants parking and you can get away with the charge. #smart

Location
Great location within walking distance to lots of eateries and lounges.

All and All its an ok property to stay at; however, had I not received a discounted rate I would have been highly disappointed and to that the $197 (w/tax) I did pay was still too much for what the property had to offer. Oh well, so my suggestion if you simply want to check out the oddly shaped showers, lobby chairs or you can get a free suite upgrade then I would stay here; otherwise, there are plenty of other hotels that offer better for the same price point. My pics would be Rouge in Dupont Circle or the Palomar on P street both Kimpton properties as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite if at all possible or upgrade to a corner king room facing the square.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dominique H

Dominique1979,

Thank your for choosing the Donovan House during your visit to Washington, D.C.

I truly appreciate you sharing your experience in details as it helps us to enhance our guest experience. I am happy to read that you had a great service experience and enjoyed our Raid the Bar amenity.

We do have several different room types available in our hotel. Please check our website for the details of specific room types for your future visits.

Rouge and Palomar are our great Kimpton properties but we would love to see you again in the future. Please feel free to reach me at elif.hendrickson@donovanhousehotel.com with any reservation requests you might have and we will make every effort to make you LOVE our hotel.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I recently booked a room at the Donovan House so my nieces could enjoy the rooftop pool. What was meant to be a relaxing day poolside turned into a mind-blowing, "best day of my life" experience for three young girls. It started with the front desk staff who treated the girls like royalty. The royal treatment continued when we entered the room. Each of the girls had a special robe waiting for them and unbelievable princess treats. Everything was so amazing: We almost forgot about the pool.

Thank you so very much for creating a special and memorable day for my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Thomas Circle for an amazing view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Larry G,

Thank you for a fantastic review!!

I loved the way how you named your review!! What a nice fairy tale story!!

Please come back to visit us for many more memorable experiences.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was tired, hot, kind of having not the best day so far and once I found the Donovan House everything turned around. The staff is just so nice! The do actual things that make your stay (life) better, from the front desk (Thank you Brittany!!) the great bartender, there is just a nicer vibe to the staff. I stayed at another DC hotel with a rooftop pool, but it was a very different experience, less nice, less personal, less fab all around. Kind of a bummer that the pool closes at 5pm to turn into bar scene, but the roof is a lovely spot. And this is a great location.

Room Tip: I thought the view I had overlooking the square (circle?) was magical, people coming and going.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

AdventureDrMom,

Thank you for a fantastic review!

I am very happy to read that our wonderful team made your day!! I also would like to thank you for your great comment about Brittany, she is awesome! I can't wait to share your comments with our team.

We are looking forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed 4 nights at the Donovan House for my 40th birthday and although there was a slight mix up during our check in, Hotel manager Peter D and his team were quick to rectify and ensure that the rest of our experience was exemplary, including working on a surprise on my actual bday that was truly memorable.

I would stay at this hotel again and recommend to anyone staying in the DC area in future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Eleni M

Happy Belated 40th Birthday!

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate your special occasions.I am thrilled to read that you had a memorable experience.

Please visit us again to celebrate many more special occasions!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 4th of July weekend. We were able to take our dog with us, which was a huge plus. Love their happy hour free wine and beer in the afternoon. The view from the room was beautiful and we were. Actually able to see the fireworks from the park in front of the hotel. We would definetly come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Drmon79,

Thank you for choosing the Donovan House to celebrate 4th of July weekend!

I am very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. We love our pet friends who brings so much fun to our hotels.

Please visit us again soon!