“Great sushi!”

Ono Grill
Ranked #17 of 71 Restaurants in Anniston
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 October 2013

You can always get great and fresh sushi. The selection is very good. The only drawback is the outside is not kept and is somewhat dirty.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This was our first visit, at the suggestion of someone else in our party who has been before. It seemed rather empty for a Thursday night, but the staff was friendly & attentive. We chose to sit at the tappan table & noticed that the caulk line between the table top & tappan was not completely sealed. It also had some spots of sauce that had not been wiped away. Our waiter, and later our chef, had some difficulty communicating because of their thick accents, but they still managed to get all of the orders right, down to special requests.

In addition to tappanyaki dinners, the table also had crispy shrimp & dragon sushi rolls, both of which were expertly prepared, fresh, and tasty. The chef started with the obligatory spatula juggling, which he was actually quite good at. The fried rice was well-done, and nutty with sesame seeds, although I would have liked more veggies in it. Next came the meats & veggies. Some might be put off that they were not on separate trays, but since all was cooked on the tappan, there was no real problem. Among us we had the NY strip steak, chicken breast, and shrimp. It all appeared to be top quality & fresh, as were the carrots, broccoli, mushrooms & onions. The steak and chicken were both overcooked just a bit, but were still delicious. Unfortunately, the very sweet teriyaki sauce was applied a rather too liberally for some of our tastes.

Lastly, a word about the bathroom. Certainly not the worst I've ever seen, but they could pay a bit more attention to detail & if the industrial paper dispensers are broken, please find a way to replace them. Flying rolls are just not attractive.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I consistently get the grilled salmon and it is always perfect. I can substitute all vegetables rather than rice. I do get the sauce of the side. Calling ahead makes for quicker meal readiness. I usually get take out meal so cannot speak to atmosphere. Staff is friendly and helpful. There is dinner combination type dinners which I think should result in lower cost if you decline a component of it like soup. The meal is the same cost even when you are not getting all that is inclusive-this should be changed,

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I've been here several times, but this review is not about the hibachi type dining (which is very good) but the sushi bar. I stop in after work sometimes for a Japanese beer and a couple handmade rolls (California, Spicy Tuna, Salmon, Yum-yum, etc.) I am consistently pleased with the quality-freshness of the food and the skill of the sushi chef. (Chef John is my favorite - and makes evening special). Very attentive, very creative and the presentation is fantastic.

Been to Ono Grill? Share your experiences!