“Oh my.”
Review of Catfish Cabin

Catfish Cabin
Ranked #16 of 93 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Great catfish and seafood. Good selection of non-seafood items as well
Chelsea, Alabama
“Oh my.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

All the locals said this was the place to eat. I say run. We had a party of six, five of us ended up with the squirts. The catfish was soggy and grainy. Better off going to long john silver.

Visited April 2014

“Great hushpuppies”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had a big family dinner here, the catfish, livers, shrimp, etc. were all good, awesome hushpuppies. The coleslaw is different, can't decide if I like it. Great service.

Madison, Alabama
“Everything we had was very fresh”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Yummy lunch all around! I'm not sure what "carpet" one reviewer was referring to - we went in the door, only smelled freshness and cleanness. No carpet or any other "bad odor" to be found.
Our waitress was excellent, having made several trips to and from our table for our different requests. We were a party of 5 ladies for lunch. We had everything from popcorn shrimp to catfish and one had a burger - all fresh as could be and very good. Hush-puppies, slaw, and fries were very fresh as well. I would eat here again, as it had been years ago since.

• Visited December 2013
Athens, Alabama, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Catfish Bucket”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I try to give new restaurants the benefit of the doubt when visiting for the first time. Meaning, this isn't a new restaurant on the block, but a new one for me to visit.

This place is in dire need of HELP! There was a odor from the moment we walked into the front door. The carpet looks as old as the building and have never seen a day of soap (shampoo) and water. I was extremely nervous eating their just from the moment of taking out seats. My husband order the catfish platter and I'd order steam shrimp. What we receive is what appeared to be like scraps you would feed a dog. NO KIDDING! My husband catfish was nuggets and it was cold and look like it had been cook DAYS ago. He had other critters on his plate like crab cake, shrimp, oysters and it didn't look appealing at all. The oysters were like rubber. Yikes!

For my plate, I was expecting steam boiled shrimp and instead I got ice cold shrimp that were extremely over cook and hard to eat. I'd asked the waitress when was the food cook and she said they cook every thing first that morning. That can't be true. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I am a cook/chef (Food Blogger) my self and I know what fresh food looks like. Nonetheless, I was completed disgusted and very upset.

My husband and I didn't eat the food and just paid for our pricey plates and left. Our bill was around $45 dollars and some change. I was extremely disappointed in this place.

I advise anyone to take a second look before going into this restaurant. The odor is enough alone to make you turn and walk back out.

I don't want to think of what the kitchen looks like. I've seen Restaurant Impossible and other Chef/Restaurant Makeover Shows. This place needs help now!

Most of their patrons are older/elderly people which scares me - these people can get sick.

Catfish Cabin is more of Catfish Bucket. Leave the Catfish alone. Go somewhere else to eat or better yet, go to Kroger and buy your own catfish and cook it your self.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank EatMyFork
Franklin, Tennessee
“Simple fare, but we love what they do.”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Great catfish and all the fixins. we have tried the chicken livers, oysters, and shrimp. The hush puppies and coleslaw are very good. A family owned and operated restaurant.