“Friendly atmosphere”

Ranked #2 of 93 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Located at Exit 351 on Interstate 65...a favorite stop for anyone headed North or South on the interstate. Just across from McDonalds. GPS address is 1506 Highway 72 East, Athens AL 35611 The way it is... Using old-fashioned recipes and time honored traditions, we still smoke barbecue real slow in our USDA facility in Tennessee. This insures the highest quality and consistency so that every customer at every location gets the same tasty, tender, juicy barbecue. We have developed systems and procedures that allow us to offer you almost fast food speed of service...yet everything is made as you order! We always have plenty...so if you need a big order at the last minute...we have you covered! In an age where most pork barbecue is cut, chopped, or ground by machine...we still hand-pull or "pick" the meat from the bone. Sure it's harder and takes longer...but our "pickers" (as we affectionately call them!) are our best quality control. Their trained and caring touch leaves only the leanest, moistest pork...lightly sauced to let the great hickory flavor burst through in every bite!! Guess you could say...we keep pickin' so you'll keep grinnin' The truth of the matter... Because we are just a "little barbecue joint" ...not near as fancy or as famous as some...we know we must try harder to earn your business. We want to be faster, cleaner, and tastier. We cannot be everything to everybody, so we just want to be everything to YOU. At LawLers Barbecue we believe in "cooked slow...served fast! We think you deserve Tickled Pink Service! We don't need to win trophies or contests...we win when you become a regular customer! If you haven't tried us yet...what are you waitin' for?
NW Florida
“Friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Lawlers has excellent barbeque, and a very friendly staff. This was convenient to our hotel and the interstate. It is not a fancy establishment (you order at the counter), but it was a great experience none the less, especially for the reasonable prices. We will go back when we're passing through the area again.

• Visited July 2014

Hobart, IN
“Great BBQ food”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had stopped here before and ate when we came through Athens. We loved the BBQ turkey plate which comes with sides and a roll. The meat is so tender it practically melts in your mouth and it is real turkey. They have the BBQ sauces on the table so you can choose the flavor BBQ sauce you want and the amount you want to put on. We like the sweet and tangy. All the sides are delicious and everything tastes homemade. They have great ice tea too. The staff is very friendly and helpful . Not a very big place, but very worth the stop and it is close to the I -65 and 72 exit. We will definitely stop again! I only wish we could have been able to take some home with us.

• Visited April 2014
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Convenient for travelers, great service, good food”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Traveling north on I-65, we chose this exit for a lunch stop, because of signage showing a variety of fast food places…..then spotted LawLers and we both agreed that we'd give it a try, for something different. Great service at the counter from "Clara K", and despite a steady stream of customers, food was ready quickly. My wife said her "Stuffie Potato" was excellent, and my Pork Sandwich was good, but not (to me) outstanding. If passing this way again, we'd visit again, with my wife having the same, but me trying something different.

• Visited February 2014
Bowling Green, KY
“My Favorite BBQ”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Well it used to be until I had bariatric surgery! Love their BBQ and sides. Quick and cheap, but full of flavor. Their turkey BBQ is my favorite and their white sauce is amazing. The Turkey Stuffie Potato was my favorite for years-a potato as big as your face stuffed with about a stick of butter, sour cream, real cheddar cheese, meat and scallions. Douse that sucker in white sauce and wash it down with some sweet tea and you are on your way to an early grave with a smile!

Visited January 2014
Frankfort, Kentucky
“Friendly Staff and Good Food”
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stopped in on our way home from a road trip to New Orleans. Conveniently located right off I-65, it was easy to get to and the staff greeted us warmly as soon as we entered.

We all ordered the pulled pork plate with two sides and a roll- a great deal at about $7. The smoked pork was tender and juicy, although the sauces left a little to be desired. Very good bbq beans and excellent potato salad.

Weekly specials, including free drinks on Mondays.

Would definitely recommend, especially over any fast food options along the I-65 Corridor.