“Traveling South For The Winter” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Athens Inn

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Traveling South For The Winter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Traveling from Wisconsin to Florida for the Winter. This hotel is a renovated hotel which has room accesss from the outside. The rooms are being updated but may not be completed. If you are traveling and just staying over night this is a great value. It is just off of the freeway. Many places to get dinner. The breakfast is typical of traveler/business hotels. We would definitly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front. Avoid the backside as there are restuarnts there that can be noisy. Also...
2 Thank N60159
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 256-233-4030.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
bloomington, il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed here on our way down to the Gulf Coast....it brings to mind the term "Motor Lodge" It is located right off of I-65 with an Applebees next door and Logans Roadhouse a short walk away. Rooms all face the outside, small rooms and old furniture. This is a good property for a one nite stay if you want to save $$$ from one of the bigger name hotels in the area. but, I'm not sure I would want to stay for much more than that. The staff was excellent and the continental breakfast was perfect.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
WESTERN B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2012

Lynn Horn
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We spent one night in Athens, AL at the Best Western on our way to Florida - would not hesitate to stay again. Room was clean, quiet. Bathroom was small and the vanity/sink is outside the bathroom (why hotels do this I have no idea). Front desk employees were very friendly - goofed once when they told us our room key would get us a 10% discount at Ruby Tuesdays...it doesn't. But, that's the only issue that happened. Continental breakfast was same as in most hotels. So if you are on your way thru Alabama - stay here :)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2012

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I previously commented about my stay St the best western. I wanted to clarify on the comments of the manager about my review. First of all. My reservation with the days inn "down the road" was for a pet room. When we got the hotel. Hotels.com booked it as a smoking room since the hotel was fivqe had no choice but to switch hotels. That's when I went to the best western. Do I'm not sure where the idea that I was kicked out came From. Second I did attempt to fix the issue with my dog. But As I stated before, it was let go. I at no point hide the fact that I had a dog in my room. I walked around the entire property with him and at one point had him in the pool area with family. In the situation with the charges. My card was charged or deified for the amounts I posted. But was unnecessary. I'm offended by the verbal Attack by the manger saying "they felt sorry for me". I have 3 small children, we were asked to leave during an active tornado warning. My children and I were afraid, and we had no choice but to travel in this weather to sleep At my brothers house. I feel like my review should not be reviewed as this shy this website is here. My situation
May never happen to anyone else. But it did happen to me and I feel like it should be known. My money has been returned. But I am still very upset with the entire stay, and the mangers aqusations about my other reservations and the reasons with my upset about the hotel in present.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WESTERN B, Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Guest stayed at the property after being kicked out of another hotel for not disclosing a pet, this information was disclosed by the guest when questioned about the dog she had in her room, the guest signed a folio stating she did not have a pet, and that there was a fee of $150.00 for non dis closure of a pet in a non pet designated room. Guest disconneted the phone line in her room and also hung a Do Not Disturb sign on her door so housekeeping would not discover the pet dog in a cage. We sold the room next door which had an adjoining door to the guest with the dog, and when the new guest called the desk said they heard a dog crying and barking they called the desk at which time management went into the room and found the pet in a cage, phone line disconnected, etc. we have a sign at the counter that discloses this fee and violation of hotel pet policy, if the guest said she had a pet, we had pet desinated rooms available and she would of only had to pay the $20.00 + tx fee, instead we have a $150.00 fee for non disclosure which covers cost of stripping everything out of room and black lighting and sanitizing wanding all area of the room, this cost us money in man hours and labor. When guest violate policies, they a re responsible for consequences, this is such a case. As this guest felt that it would be better to criticise the property by going on this sight for something she herself violated, If we dont enforce rules and policies,and there would be no need to have them and people will never learn. Are intentions are not to offend anyone as this is bad business but we want the truth to be known. Thanks Mgmt.
Creston, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed there after being booked wrong at another hotel. I had a pet, I forgot to mention it, so I called to the office to fix it with the clerk. He said he would "pretend he didn't hear that" so I assumed it was not a big deal to have my small dog. After a day of being there, I come back and was asked to leave because of my dog. Now the fun part. They charged my card $394.89 when I checked out, when my original cost was suppose to be $250. Then they continued to charge my card over the next 2 days for $141.04, then $172.22. With a grant total of $708.15 for 2 nights in the hotel, the last night being asked to leave and having to sleep in the floor with 3 kids since I lived 8 hours away and had no where else to stay for the night. The manager said some fee's were charged but were going to be placed back on my card. That was 3 days ago, and I have seen more charges come out of my account, and no credit at all. So unless you can let your money just be thrown away. Then don't even bother staying here. Or atleast make sure the staff is not being shady while your there and not doing there job right. Thanks to them, I have no way to pay my bills this month since I ended up giving them $708.15 for 2 nights.. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fort Wright, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year. We returned again this year on our way home from Panama City on 8/7. We chose to stay here again because of the location and proximity to restaurants in walking distance. The rooms are also very nice and clean. Only 2 issues: a number of the TV channels came up with blank screens with a message "channel not available." And there was a very squeaky bed. My husband tosses and turns quite a bit, so this was a bit noisy through the night. On our reservation we requested a bottom floor room because our son is autisic and that seemed to be a very quiet room last year. I was greeted so nicely at check-in by the young lady at the front desk. It looked like they were waiting for us because she pulled a set of keys in the envelope that she appeared to have set aside for us for our bottom floor room. Very nice!! Check in took less than a minute! We enjoyed a dinner at Applebee's next door and a comfortable night's sleep. We'll stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Emily_M1102
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We booked two rooms with king-sized beds. Arrived very tired and were treated courteously. The staff applied our AAA discount for us with no problem. The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. The showers were clean and worked well. I'd stay here again - a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank busview
WESTERN B, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Athens Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2012